[SOLVED] Temp issues, everything seems to be running hot (cpu, gpu)

Sep 18, 2018
I tried to add my comp to my profile but aperently I have to make five posts first, so instead of spamming here is my parts list.

Everything is brand new. I had the build setup with the three intake fans that came with the case originally on the right side now at the top of the case (I was informed the in a pc case hot air rising is not really any better), the H115i mounted now mounted on the right side in their place, one 140mm exhust fan on the back (standard for the H700i).

Ever since I built it (two weeks ago) I've noticed some really hot temps from the i9900k. Seems with the MSI Pro Carbon and Intel drivers it decided to turbo boost up to 4.7 constantly, even when gaming and using adobe premiere for exporting. In the MSI bios I dropped the clock down to 4.5, not sure if that actually effected the clock as CPUID HWMonitor still showed clocks of 4700MHz, so I also went into "Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility" and in basic tuning dropped the Core Ratio and Cache Ratio to 4.5GHz.

This seemed to help a bit but every now and again I notice some high fan speeds on my rig and I'll open up "Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility" and it will say the program quit unexpectedly. Which makes me wonder if it's not actually saving these settings between uses when my computer turns off.

That's the main issue I've been dealing with and I thought it was very processor specific... until today.

I played a few games of fortnite(Yeah I know, judge me) and my GTX 1080 got all the way up to 81 degrees. And fortnite should not be a crazy intense game to run.

Display wise I have three monitors:
-Asus 1080 60hz 24in, connected via hdmi
-[Main/Monitor for fullscreen games] Acer 1080 60hz 27in, connected via display port to hdmi cable
-Insignia 1080 60hz 40in, connected via DIV to hdmi cable

So.... Is this display setup too intense for the graphics card? MY old comp running an EVGA 780 could handle it fine...

If needed I can provide a picture of the comp or any other details.

In short... Why is my system running so hot?

Solution
The i7-9900k has an all-core turbo of 4.7GHz, so that's normal behavior.

Your GTX1080 is capable of so much more than 1080p/60Hz gaming. That's not a problem.

Ideally you'll have intakes in the front panel, AIO in the top exhausting, and exhaust in the back
The i7-9900k has an all-core turbo of 4.7GHz, so that's normal behavior.

Your GTX1080 is capable of so much more than 1080p/60Hz gaming. That's not a problem.

Ideally you'll have intakes in the front panel, AIO in the top exhausting, and exhaust in the back

Solution
In BIOS go to OC > Miscellaneous > EIST and make sure it is ENABLED

To stop turbo boost go into BIOS and go to OC > Miscellaneous > Intel Turbo Boost and make sure it is DISABLED

For reference, the following review shows non-OC temp of 52c and OC temp of 90c with i9-9900k and an H115i cooler:

https://wccftech.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k-8-core-cpu-z390-aorus-master-review/10/

That page doesn't indicate specifically how they achieved those temps, but presumably they're from the tests listed on page 7 of the review:

https://wccftech.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900k-8-core-cpu-z390-aorus-master-review/7/

Sep 18, 2018

Isn't like 80 really hot though? I mean if 90 is fine to run that's fine as long as its okay but I always thought 80 was like really hot.

What does EIST really do?
And turbo boost should be a good thing right? I mean like the goal here is not to take away functionality to help temps, it's all brand new stuff I feel like there should be a way of managing these temps correctly and still performing well.

I noticed a big temp boost to the cpu was MSI XMP boost for memory. Turning that off has dropped the cpu temp a lot.... but the gpu is still at like 80 on fortnite. I haven't checked what temps it gets in other games but like for fortnite that seems crazy high