Question Temp issues with rtx 2070 super

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
So I bought a pre-built PC from skytech gaming on black friday. I normally like to build my own but the price was hard to pass up considering all the parts u get for the price
Ryzen 5 3600 w/wraith
ASRock 450m motherboard
16gb 3000hz ram (team force)
Msi 2070 super
550w PSU
Unsure of case brand because they put their logo on it
2 front intake,1 back exhaust rgb fans

So basically the problem I'm running into with this is the GPU is getting upwards of 83c. Originally the PSU fan was facing the GPU so I flipped it where it intakes from the bottom to see if that would help, no such luck. I feel like the fans are not pushing enough air. Not to mention there is not much space (maybe 2 in.) between the GPU and PSU which makes it hard to get the hot air out of there. It has tempered glass on the side with hinges. So I opened it to let it breath and it dropped the temp at least down to about 72c. It's a rather small case I will post some pictures once I get home from work. It is in the top pcie slot. I'm not sure which way to go with this a new case or better fans.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Picture would help , 83 and 72 Celsius is high for this card while gaming , do you individual components warranty or is the warranty on the pre built system and making any modifications would void the warranty ? also what is the make/model of the PSU ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Airflow / Fan / Cooling / Overheating - How to test, steps to resolve

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

I'm having a hard time with your prebuilt system. Some of the thing you said ring some alarms in my head.

Let me explain.

Your CPU and cooler are fine. The wraith isn't doing a perfect job and of course it's not a as good as a noctua but this isn't your problem so I won't be talking about it further.

That ASRock 450m Motherboard. Which one is it? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=ASRock+450m

The RAM. Whoever built this decided to go below what I recommend as RAM speed. A ryzen benefits from having 3200Mhz RAM. That board supports it. I don't see why they did not put 3200Mhz RAM in that system considering the price difference is very small.

That MSI 2070 Super at 83c is not normal. Should see 70 to 80 but it all depends on many factors. Your ambient temp in your room, the size of the case, the number of fan etc. I saw a few people who had this kind of temps with their 2070 Super and they fixed it by downloading MSI Afterburner and setting a custom fan curve speed in that program. The fan curve might be horrible atm. Try that.

That 550W PSU. I have no idea what brand PSU you have but 550W is the minimum required for a 2070 Super. Can you please tell me what is the brand of the PSU please. Might be a poor quality PSU. I always recommend a PSU at least with some headroom from the GPU requirement. In your case this prebuilt should have at least a good 600-650W and bronze, gold or platinum certified.

If your case fan are garbage that won't help either. At least you have a positive pressure inside that case where there is more intake than exhaust fan. That's good only if the fan are of good quality and can actually push air correctly and not be 5 dollars cheap fan.

Changing the PSU fan from top to bottom won't change anything since it's an intake and the exhaust of the PSU is at the back. If you don't have any air holes at the bottom of your case and you put that fan at the bottom it will just choke the air intake. When it was at the top it was taking hot air from your GPU and passing it through your PSU. That's not really good but it's better than having it choking at the bottom without air holes.

There is a reason why you paid a good price for this. Some of the parts seems to be of poor quality from cheap brand.

- First thing you should try is changing the fan curve in MSI Afterburner. Some people noticed a drop of 20c just by doing so because of the crappy fan curve they had before.

- I would change your fan case if they look cheap and seems to push no air at all. 2 intake at the front and 1 at the back exhaust and 1 at the top exhaust (if you have a hole at the top of course in your case) if you can would help.

- You could change your case but it will break the warranty if you have one.

I would return that system so fast If I were you if a refund is possible.

Last edited:

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Picture would help , 83 and 72 Celsius is high for this card while gaming , do you individual components warranty or is the warranty on the pre built system and making any modifications would void the warranty ? also what is the make/model of the PSU ?
https://www.amazon.com/GAMDIAS-ASTRAPE-M1-550W-Supply-Certified/dp/B07BVP554S
This is the same PSU that's in it. I'll upload some pictures when I get home

Airflow / Fan / Cooling / Overheating - How to test, steps to resolve

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.
Thanks I'm going to give this a try when I get home

I'm having a hard time with your prebuilt system. Some of the thing you said ring some alarms in my head.

Let me explain.

Your CPU and cooler are fine. The wraith isn't doing a perfect job and of course it's not a as good as a noctua but this isn't your problem so I won't be talking about it further.

That ASRock 450m Motherboard. Which one is it? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=ASRock+450m

The RAM. Whoever built this decided to go below what I recommend as RAM speed. A ryzen benefits from having 3200Mhz RAM. That board supports it. I don't see why they did not put 3200Mhz RAM in that system considering the price difference is very small.

That MSI 2070 Super at 83c is not normal. Should see 70 to 80 but it all depends on many factors. Your ambient temp in your room, the size of the case, the number of fan etc. I saw a few people who had this kind of temps with their 2070 Super and they fixed it by downloading MSI Afterburner and setting a custom fan curve speed in that program. The fan curve might be horrible atm. Try that.

That 550W PSU. I have no idea what brand PSU you have but 550W is the minimum required for a 2070 Super. Can you please tell me what is the brand of the PSU please. Might be a poor quality PSU. I always recommend a PSU at least with some headroom from the GPU requirement. In your case this prebuilt should have at least a good 600-650W and bronze, gold or platinum certified.

If your case fan are garbage that won't help either. At least you have a positive pressure inside that case where there is more intake than exhaust fan. That's good only if the fan are of good quality and can actually push air correctly and not be 5 dollars cheap fan.

Changing the PSU fan from top to bottom won't change anything since it's an intake and the exhaust of the PSU is at the back. If you don't have any air holes at the bottom of your case and you put that fan at the bottom it will just choke the air intake. When it was at the top it was taking hot air from your GPU and passing it through your PSU. That's not really good but it's better than having it choking at the bottom without air holes.

There is a reason why you paid a good price for this. Some of the parts seems to be of poor quality from cheap brand.

- First thing you should try is changing the fan curve in MSI Afterburner. Some people noticed a drop of 20c just by doing so because of the crappy fan curve they had before.

- I would change your fan case if they look cheap and seems to push no air at all. 2 intake at the front and 1 at the back exhaust and 1 at the top exhaust (if you have a hole at the top of course in your case) if you can would help.

- You could change your case but it will break the warranty if you have one.

I would return that system so fast If I were you if a refund is possible.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...bKmjiw3hptHxyOGs3YjgQPngfQiJR2z0aAq3vEALw_wcB
This is the motherboard in it. I also posted the PSU above in another reply. I'm going to try the msi afterburner first see if it helps any. But I'm going to post pictures of the setup I think it's just getting suffocated. Here is the link to the actual computer. The PSU has a vent on the bottom so no worries on that. I was looking at some new case fans it has space on top for prob two 120mm fans. I think the ones they put on their are trash honestly not much air flow.

Reason why I jumped on this build was because it had the 3600 ryzen like I wanted and the 2070 super I knew I was going to take some hits on some stuff usually what happens in pre-built but I priced out parts for a MB, CPU, ram, GPU it came to $938 and this system was $999

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's Msi's 2070 Super Ventus: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213225/msi-rtx2070super-8192-190701
83C is the thermal limit.
Gpu has very little breathing room due to proximity to power supply, and what looks to be a hard drive cage(?) in front of it.
You need a new case. That's the cheapest way to fix the current situation.
The power supply also isn't good.

Reason why I jumped on this build was because it had the 3600 ryzen like I wanted and the 2070 super I knew I was going to take some hits on some stuff usually what happens in pre-built but I priced out parts for a MB, CPU, ram, GPU it came to $938 and this system was $999
Now you're having to spend even more due to the shortcuts this company took.
So much for a deal...

Reactions: Mezoxin

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Found what appears to be the OP's PC: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883289042?Item=N82E168832890420
Glass front panel... this case definitely needs to go, it's a hot box.

Along with the power supply, of course.

What does this mean?
yeah im currently looking into getting another case with more room and better airflow. i am still on the fence about returning this i got it from newegg but it was built by skytech gaming. But thing is i return it i will have to build my own which will cost more then what i got into this one so im unsure what to do but definitely looking into a case. currently as long as i leave the side door open and keep my fan curve it stays about 65c which isnt too bad
JFm7er.jpg

The

The PSU position is hindering the airflow
Yeah im trying to find another case that will allow room for the 2070S to breath some cause thats what is choking it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I disagree.

Even 1" of space between the gpu fans and the top of that psu is plenty enough for it to breathe. Most mITX and many mATX builds have the same limits and any sli/crossfire build has a lot less space between cards, sometimes as little as ½" without too much heat issue.

Gpu exhaust comes out the side facing the glass, not the back.

What I do see is a cabling mess, underneath the front gpu fan. That's going to present airflow issues from that low 120mm intake.

My suggestion is first move those intakes inside, it looks like they are being blocked not only by that honeycomb grilling, but is that a dust filter behind them too?
Second is clean up that cable disaster behind the psu. Get it out from blocking airflow across the top of the psu, and consequently the gpu. As close as that intake is mounted, and as low under the gpu as it looks to be, there shouldn't be any issues getting a ton of air under it.

What duty cycle are your intake/exhaust fans set to? If they aren't ramping up when the pc is under stress, like gaming, then you aren't going to get much air moved in the first place, regardless of how high the gpu fans are set to.

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
I disagree.

Even 1" of space between the gpu fans and the top of that psu is plenty enough for it to breathe. Most mITX and many mATX builds have the same limits and any sli/crossfire build has a lot less space between cards, sometimes as little as ½" without too much heat issue.

Gpu exhaust comes out the side facing the glass, not the back.

What I do see is a cabling mess, underneath the front gpu fan. That's going to present airflow issues from that low 120mm intake.

My suggestion is first move those intakes inside, it looks like they are being blocked not only by that honeycomb grilling, but is that a dust filter behind them too?
Second is clean up that cable disaster behind the psu. Get it out from blocking airflow across the top of the psu, and consequently the gpu. As close as that intake is mounted, and as low under the gpu as it looks to be, there shouldn't be any issues getting a ton of air under it.

What duty cycle are your intake/exhaust fans set to? If they aren't ramping up when the pc is under stress, like gaming, then you aren't going to get much air moved in the first place, regardless of how high the gpu fans are set to.
The sad thing about this is the PSU isn't modular at all so I can't really do a whole lot with the bundle of cables. The backside is jammed full of cables already. The front doesn't have a dust filter it's literally a piece of glass cut like a triangle. I think it's a combination of multiple things. Those fans on there are garbage they barely push any air, it needs more room, and all that cable mess. I'm seriously considering sending this back because it seems as though it's causing more problems then what it's worth to me. I could build one way better then that. I just seen this and bought it on Black Friday when of course the components were not clearly defined. Hell the picture has it with a zotac GPU and I ended up with a MSI not that I'm complaining rather have a MSI then zotac. I went into the BIOS and turned the fans to full speed to see if it would make a difference nothing I didn't even notice a difference in fan speed or noise so I'm assuming they are only one speed fans.

That does look like a nice case! honestly I'm not really going for looks only person that sees it is me lol I'm more of a what's under the hood chassis could look like <Mod Edit> person. The build I made last time 5 or 6 years ago was a raidmax case with 5 antec 3 speed fans. Yeah they are not pretty but on the high speed according to spec they push 79cfm at 2000rpm. Basically what troubles me is if I do return this computer and I build one the BIOS update for the 3rd gen is what my problem is I'm coming from a fx8320

Last edited by a moderator:

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Ok so I've made the choice of returning it so I've been looking into a build that will be similar as far as processor and GPU. Took some of y'all's advice into account and looked around so when y'all get a chance take a look and let me know what you think. I have a SSD and hdd I'll be using . The one biggest question on this list is the PSU. The case looks decent as far as airflow. Plus I'll have to get some fans but that won't be too bad
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d2Lvjp

You might want to check if there are restocking or other fees prior to returning the system, which would likely make it better to work with what you have. Looking at Newegg's page about their restocking fees, it looks like they might be 25% for "opened, non-defective notebook and desktop PCs", plus the cost of return shipping, so you might end up getting around $300 less than what you paid. That wouldn't be worth it at all. I'm not sure if their holiday returns might be any different though...

Overall, the primary components of that system seem fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about the RAM being 3000 rather than 3200, as that's not likely to make any perceptible difference to gaming performance. The only notable issues seem to be that the case apparently doesn't provide adequate airflow for a 2070 SUPER, and perhaps the PSU could be better (but is probably par for the course for a pre-built system, and shouldn't be what's causing the high GPU temperatures).

If that system is the one Phaaze88 linked to, then the clear acrylic front panel might be affecting cooling performance more than anything. I'm curious whether that panel might be easily removable without making the case look weird. Maybe some fans added on top could help too. Of course, if needed, you could likely find a new, larger case with better airflow for under $100, which would likely be much better than paying a hefty restocking fee.

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
Well here is the update on the situation had to jump through all the hoops. Called skytech gaming they tried to "troubleshoot." Of course I already did all the stuff the tech was going to say so they told me to RMA it at newegg im still within the period to return it. Plus I did not get charged a restocking fee or for shipping. So just took it to UPS tonight to be shipped off now its time to build it myself ....the right way 🆒 Appreciate yall taking out time to respond to this post !

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeay newegg! Shout out to skytech too, it's a lost sale, but they still did right by you. 'Sorry it didn't work out as hoped, so here's your money back and we'll take care of the shipping' is about as good as it gets, many wouldn't be so 'generous' and get you to pay shipping at the least. It's a busted item, so restocking fee wouldn't apply, but RMA for DOA reasons does.

TRENDING THREADS