Temp question - intel i7-2600k

richcritt

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
Not the most computer savvy, so please bear with me!

Basically, my computer freezes at random times, in a pattern that I really cannot follow. I have tried several different things, and my most recent theory is that the temperature of the cpu is too high, but I cannot be sure.

I downloaded a program called 'SpeedFan' to see what temperature everything is running at. I'm working on figuring out a more comprehensive way to test the temps, but right now running 'idle' with nothing really running the temp goes from 40-60C, and running a youtube video in chrome jumps it up to 70-90C.

From what I have read thus far, this is very high, I keep seeing temps normally around 50C or less.

There is no dust and all fans seem to be working, I can probably take a few pics of the inside of that would help. Basically, my main question here is: are these temperatures too high, and is it likely to be the cause of my computer periodically freezing?

Overall specs:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k 3.40 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
PSU: Corsair 850W
RAM: 2x4G Corsair
HD: Seagate 1tb
SSD: Intel 64Gb
MB: Gigabyte z68x

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Your CPU should not be going over 70C for any reason. You have a cooling problem. First verify the CPU fan is working. If it is you could try removing and cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste then remounting it if you want, but since it's an older system I recommend replacing it with a good but inexpensive cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $34.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-01 17:40 EDT-0400
Your CPU should not be going over 70C for any reason. You have a cooling problem. First verify the CPU fan is working. If it is you could try removing and cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste then remounting it if you want, but since it's an older system I recommend replacing it with a good but inexpensive cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $34.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-01 17:40 EDT-0400

Solution

richcritt

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

This computer is a solid 3-4 years old, and I have never replaced the thermal paste since i first put it together. The fan is definitely working, and both it and the heat sink are clear of dust. Could the old thermal paste be the issue? If so, can I just replace the thermal paste and see what happens? A simple google search should show me how to replace the thermal paste correctly I hope, right now i'm looking at this - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-paste-removal-installation-guide

Again, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it

richcritt

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

It has been moved around pretty frequently in the last year, and have had this issue for a while. Would I be able to tell if there is something wrong with the mounts by just looking at it?

TRENDING THREADS