TEMPERAMENTAL PENTIUM 4

seerwan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Lads, these r the specs of my system, and i know, its ANCIENT... which is why im trying to overclock it so i can get the best out if it b4 buying a new system next year, after i graduate...
the FSB runs at 533 MT/s stock, so 133, and i have successfully overclocked it by 12% by increasing the FSB to 149.
anything beyond that, the computer doesnt start up; it keeps going back to the bios page, telling me to return settings to default.

so, my question is, how can i overcome that and overclock the PC further? in this link, it shows that the FSB of most of the other CPUS in this range run at 800, but mine has a much higher multiplier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#.22Prescott.22_.2890_nm.29_2

Processor - Intel Prescott, Pentium 4 524, 3.06 Ghz
CPU Cooler - Intel certified.
Motherboard - Asus P5GV-MX
RAM - 2 GB DDR1, PC-3200
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Hard Drives - Maxtor 250 GB
Case - ?
PSU - 400 W

First thing to suspect if an overclock setting gives an unsuccesful boot, is your memory. Memory is usually pretty sensitive, and if you are not running memory that is specd a lot higher than stock, it will fail pretty quick.
So, set your memory divider to underclock your memory slightly first thing.
You may also have to bump the core voltage to CPU a little.
Beyond that, if you try to go much higher, you will need a VERY good CPU cooler.
These old Pentiums run hot in the first place.
Lastly, at stock speed this CPU is pushing is already it's upper limits, some people got lucky and got one that would clock higher pretty easy, but most simply won't do it.

seerwan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
the only thing ive changed is the FSB - everything else is untouched...

and i have a very unco-operative bios, there r almost no functions, so i dont think i can most of what you've described...

besides, ive heard they get hot too, and im not getting a new aftermarket cooler, so screw it...

thnx alot, man. ill go crazy on my next system... peace.