Temperature 1090T @ 4100Mhz

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello. I know the TJ Max is 62C for Phenom

WHat is the temperature that I should care about?

There are 2 values
A) CPU TEMP
B) CORE TEMP

they are about 7C-10C different

I tried with Everest and Hardware monitor

75582826.png

Thanks

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Those temperature readings are backwards or incorrect altogether. It's impossible for the cpu temperature to be higher than the core temps. I would try coretemp, it won't give you cpu temp but will give you an idea where your at. It's unlikely all the cores are sitting at exactly 50c, somethings wrong there.

In core temp make sure you keep your temperatures under 70c for 24/7 operation and your good.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
All of the x6 processors will report core temps that are ~10C lower than the CPU temp. I would just make sure that the CPU temp doesn't go above 60C, giving a couple degrees of cushion.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I run the Coolermaster V8
what is the difference of thermal paste?

1) No thermal paste
2) normal thermal paste
3) super fancy thermal paste

I can buy a thermal paste if it makes sense

in all honesty, as long as the temperature is under 60C 24/7, I'm happy

I'm going to use the CPU temp as a measuring stick

In that example, it was 57C so I guess I'm good

Also, what is the difference between a Coolermaster V8 with 2 fans (I can even put 3)
or a Corsair H70?

I just spend money on motherboard and CPU, at the moment I don't think I can buy the H70 but it's definitively an option if it's worth it

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I would say that you must be using the thermal paste that came with the cooler, since you haven't fried it yet! You may or may not get a bit of improvement with better thermal paste.

Also you could put another fan on your cooler but probably won't see too much of a difference. Maybe a couple of degrees for each change, maybe not!

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
1) forget no thermal paste - you can get it for like 5$ and you'll avoid to burn your cpu.
2) V8 is overrated, you can get cheaper cooler and close or better than this one.
3) From what I read (not an AMD fan at all) bellow 55C CORE TEMP is safe 24/7 overclock
4) I highly recommend you to try CORE TEMP to monitor temperature. You can try to use REAL TEMP if you suspect core temp to fail.

Note: the H70 isn't a really good cooler, it's noisier than other cooler at the same performance/ price range.
If you're looking for a great cooling solution you should check for Noctua.

The H70 is overrated. The 875K can easily OC to 4ghz w/o fake liquid cooling. At 100$ the H70 isn't justifiable when a 70$ cooler (like the NH-D14, or for that matter the Megahlaems in dual fan) could do the same job. Also if you were thinking the H70 is going make your system quiet. It's not, the performance setting dBa on the H70 is about 44-45 dbA, that's about the Hyper 212+'s stock fan, a bit louder.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/35225-corsair-hydro-h70-cpu-cooler-review-10.html

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Also, there is a lot of horror story with the corsair water coolers.
Think at it, 2 years guarantee vs 6 years guarantee for air coolers (talking about noctua).
Water cooling include more components (the pump, will more likely get defective with time) thus the chance that it won't last long increase... I let you imagine what happen to a i7 not cooled properly :D

Water cooling is good, but with such a small radiator and a cheap pump, chances are that you won't have the performance of a real water cooling system.
That was my 2 cents, I suggest you to go for air cooling system; you'll have better temp and save some bucks for better performance :)

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well I do have a Coolermaster V80

Maybe I can buy a new one?

I've heard the CPU cooler is as good as your ventilator

I bought the Thermaltake Armor in order to use it with Water Cooling, since it's supposedly water cooling compatible

If you can help me pick a good/reliable water cooling system, I'll buy it, if it make sense

My Intel Core i7 875k with Coolermaster V8 reaches 85C
My Intel Core iy 875k with Corsair H70 reaches 85C

go figure
$100 to the trash
I'm going to refund that and go to the PINK FLOYD CONCERT tomorrow :)

However, I'm still willing to invest money some day to make my 875k reach 4.0Ghz or 4.1Ghz
But if that's going to cost me $300 then I don't know

Is there a REALLY good water cooling solution that is solid, no leaks, and lasts for years?

I know the Thermaltake Armor has one option with LCS + Armor included

Sometimes I regret not buying that, it seems like they don't sell the LCS by itself

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Yes. You can build a custom water-cooled solution to fit your case by buying the pieces from Koolance.com
I've built mine mid 2008 and still use the same parts, and have only had to refill the resevoir 4 times. Yes, it's expensive, but my computer still impresses to this day. Just make sure to buy enough tubing to suit the mistakes you'll inevitably make.

No, a decent air cooler can get the 875K to around 4.1 or 4.2. You don't need a custom loop. Be it, you'd get lower temps and MAYBE a quieter cooling system. But you don't need a loop. Something like a Prolimatech Megahlems w/ dual fans or Venomous X w/ dual fans could cool the 875K EASILY.

So you could go a WCing route, you could stay with the air.

If you did go WCing I recommend this kit.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26994

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I am going to buy Arctic Silver Thermal paste now

In all fairness I didn't applied an extra layer of thermal paste to the AMD Phenom XII 1090T, so I can't say the results are fair

I even bought Corsair H70 and that has little to no thermal paste, so I need to buy Arctic to see what are the results with that

Right now I have Intel Core i7 875k and I THINK I'm going to stay with it for a while, I've been trying to sell that CPU for months now, nobody wants it

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I bought Arctic Thermal Paste and installed the Intel Core i7 875k for around 3 months

After that the motherboard had an issue, I was trying to add more RAM and A1/A2 were damaged

Then I bought AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and temperatures were fine

Then I bought Corsair H70 and tested it with Intel Core i7 875k

Temperatures were not good, I was reaching 85C so I stopped the test and asked for help

Today I re-arranged the Corsair H70 and turned the PC on, but the thermal paste was kind of washed out

I ran without paste for about a minute, I have Everest so I saw temperatures reach 90 and I turned off the PC

so I guess that's 60 seconds

Today I bought the Diamond thermal paste, the guy at Microcenter told me that's the absolute best they have
Only the Arctic MX3 is better than mine

I am running my CPU with water cooling and temperature at 79C (high) on full load (100%)

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have one question now

A) If I am running my Intel Core i7 875k at 4.1Ghz,
B) Is it safe to say I can run a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T at 4.3Ghz?

with the Coolermaster V8, I was running the Intel Core i7 875k @ 3.8Ghz
with the same cooler, I was able to overclock the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.00Ghz

Having an AMD Phenom @ 4.3Ghz would be a beast

but, 4.3Ghz Phenom vs 4.1Ghz Intel Core i7 875k, is there really a difference?

There is a huge difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=192

There was no 875K so I just took the 880 vs the 1090T. There is a HUGE difference in performance. The 875K at 4.1 will beast on the 1090T at 4.3. Be it, the 1090T is at a higher clock rate, but that isn't the case all the time.

Also, did you properly clean the thermal paste and re-apply it after putting the H70 back on the 875K?

Also, that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone attempt. You never power on a computer without thermal paste, you'll risk frying/burning it. I wouldn't buy your CPU for 200$ if I new you attempted that. Ok maybe 200$, but most likely not.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Dude I NEVER said there was no thermal paste

I removed the Coolermaster V8 from the Intel Core i7 875k, and then I applied the H70

Then, the temperatures were not satisfying, so I add another fan to my setup, and I had to remove the Corsair and place it again

at that time, I saw the thermal paste was not 100%, so I thought to myself

"Let's boot and see the temperatures"

So I boot, temperatures were high, 60C

then, I run Prime95
Temperatures went to 80C, 85C, 90C, 94C

that all happened like in 6 seconds

At that time I just turned off the PC from the switch

I use Everest, and I have Logitech G19 keyboard, so I ALWAYS monitor my CPU temperature

Now, regarding your post, are those stock speeds?

I would REALLY like to see a comparison like that (thanks for the link) but with overclocked CPUs

I had a bad experience with AMD, bought the 1055T in the summer, it was SLOOOW on games

I pumped up the voltage, removed Turbo... and man that thing was flying @ 4.0Ghz

so I know AMD sucks because their Turbo is in baby steps and quite honestly it's horrible

But if you manually overclock it it rocks

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to change now unless I can smoothly transition from my Intel Core i7 875k to AMD Phenom II X6 1090T without spending a penny.

I already have a nice motherboard (MSI Big Bang Fuzion), nice water cooling (H70), nice thermal paste (diamond), and a nice CPU @ 4.1Ghz

This whole issue started with my RAM, I'm glad I'm finally running 8Ghz.

It was a true pain in the ass with my previous mobo
The other problem was that I had no idea what Double Channel RAM is

Yes, those are stock clocks. And when you said, "I tried it w/o the paste" I assumed you meant, no TIM at all. So that's why I said what I said.

If you have a Big bang fuzion, with such an expensive board just stick with your Intel build and use the 1090T with productivity or something else. Dual-Ch. Ram is like this the speeds are split between the two rams, for instance if you have 4gigs running at 1600 should it be in dual channel, it splits it so each is running at 800/800, but in CPU-Z it'll show you that they are actually running at 1600.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah I assume an Intel Core i7 875k overclocked to 3800Mhz with stock cooler will reach the TJ Max of 99C

About the Dual Channel RAM, I assume it's like RAID, twice as fast

However, my problem is not RAM speed, it's the ammount of RAM I need.

My RAM was being used 80%-100% most of the time, it was a bottleneck

in all honesty I haven't tried Dual Ram (I have 12GB of RAM, 4GB-2GB-4GB-2GB), so that will give me 6GB Dual Channel

However, I suppose running just 8GB in single channel is better

4GB was a REAL bottleneck, 6GB might not solve the issue.

What do you think?

When installing games (8GB-12GB), RAM was being used 100% and the whole computer was stupid

About the Phenom II X6 1090T, I returned it to the store (with a tear in my eye)

It's just too expensive for me to have two computers

First I had to fix this computer (already did that after buying Corsair H70 and Corsair 8GB XMS3)

Now all I have towards the "new" computer is a lame 400 Watt Ultra power supply and OCZ 4GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz

So I would need another $400 for a new PC

Anyway, is there a really good CPU from AMD that overclocks really well with a $50 cooler?

I can build a budget PC

I really want to have 2 PCs, in case I'm modding one or something like that

RAID is for HDD's only.

Dual Channel ram is like a stress reliever for ram. Instead of both running say DDR3 1333, they spread the weight of the speed and in the end equal that speed. Dual channel ram is much better than a single stick. RAM shouldn't be bottlenecking. That's just absurd. You sir. You need to read up on ALOT of things before you start building anything or overclocking anything. Clearly you don't even know some of the basics needed =P Sorry to blunt. Read some stickies that's all I can say.

Also just so you know, the reason ram is at 100% when installing games, your archiving. Archiving requires ram. When I archive though, it doesn't go 100% (i only have 4 gigs of dual channel 1600 mhz) So... You got to fix somethings in your system bro. Read up on all the stickies.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

And you need to learn to be humble before insinuating that I am ignorant.

I am asking questions because I need help

so check your arrogance at the door

you are so "intelligent" that you don't even read my thread.

I cannot use dual channel ram because my motherboard or CPU has a problem.

So unless you have the solution stop pretending you're smarter that everybody else that was nice enough to brainstorm in these beautiful Tom's Hardware Forums