[SOLVED] Temperature 5 on hwinfo reaches 92°C. What component is this reffering to?

faridinbox2014

Prominent
Nov 13, 2018
Hello everyone, So i was monitoring my temps today and i saw this temps on the motherboard tab.
I think this is a real component because it goes up under load (92°C) and goes down at idle (45°C).
There is temperature 3,4,5, and 6.
Temperature 3 is the second highest temps at 69°C with the same lowest at 45°C.
Temperature 4 and 6 seems like not working because its constant at 45°C.
System temps maxed at 36°C and hits lowest at 34°C
What im asking is, what is this temperature 5 reffering to and is it safe at 95°C-ish.

Intel i5 4690
Gigabyte H81 DS2
Seasonic FOCUS GX-550

Solution
My guess is that it's the voltage regulators in the power supply part of the board. Other than the CPU, the VRMs are the components that generate the most heat.

The problem with HWinfo64 is that it lists the temps of the sensors of the motherboard but it's the manufacturers that designate the order of the sensors.

faridinbox2014

Prominent
Nov 13, 2018
Sorry, im on my phone while posting this. Here's the image link. I Undervolted my i5 to -103mV offset to keep temp 5 under 90 but it still reaches 85+. My AC has been on for a day so the temps maxed at 80 for now.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cdjsbWM

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
My guess is that it's the voltage regulators in the power supply part of the board. Other than the CPU, the VRMs are the components that generate the most heat.

The problem with HWinfo64 is that it lists the temps of the sensors of the motherboard but it's the manufacturers that designate the order of the sensors.

Solution

faridinbox2014

Prominent
Nov 13, 2018

Are this temps safe?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Generally, it is recommended that VRM temps do not exceed 90 degrees C. Notably, a number of MSi X570 boards for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs have pretty crappy designs and their VRMs reach 120+ degrees with a 105-watt AMD CPU. The boards run fine with a 65-watt CPU.

Looking at your board design, it is pretty obvious that the power supply stages are pretty weak. What you should do is monitor the temp and see if it is steady in the 90+ degree range or if it just peaks there occasionally. If it is steady in the 90 degree range, I would consider upgrading the board down the road as constant high temps reduces component life.

A good VRM design will maintain a temp of around 50-60 degrees or even less...

faridinbox2014

Prominent
Nov 13, 2018
Generally, it is recommended that VRM temps do not exceed 90 degrees C. Notably, a number of MSi X570 boards for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs have pretty crappy designs and their VRMs reach 120+ degrees with a 105-watt AMD CPU. The boards run fine with a 65-watt CPU.

Looking at your board design, it is pretty obvious that the power supply stages are pretty weak. What you should do is monitor the temp and see if it is steady in the 90+ degree range or if it just peaks there occasionally. If it is steady in the 90 degree range, I would consider upgrading the board down the road as constant high temps reduces component life.

A good VRM design will maintain a temp of around 50-60 degrees or even less...
It reaches 90 (peaks at 95ish) degrees when i stress it with LinX (under synthetic load). When i play R6 Siege it never reaches 70 degrees and stays at high 60s.