Question Temperature and moist

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
My pc is in a cold room, sometimes temps go even below 10C and i was opening new cpu and i accidently blew some air into it from my mouth and it became foggy like when u blow air at a mirror? And this got me a little concerned since im pretty sure the same effect would happen if i turn on my pc and the cpu gets hotter, is this just something that disappears or i need to be careful

kanewolf

Titan
My pc is in a cold room, sometimes temps go even below 10C and i was opening new cpu and i accidently blew some air into it from my mouth and it became foggy like when u blow air at a mirror? And this got me a little concerned since im pretty sure the same effect would happen if i turn on my pc and the cpu gets hotter, is this just something that disappears or i need to be careful
That won't happen as the CPU warms. There is no extra moisture in the air, unlike in your breath.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is humidity and temperature differences that lead to condensation. Normal air always contains some moisture. Colder air generally has less moisture actually.

Condensation could occur if the room was rapidly heated with humidified air and the system was still cool. If the system is on there is zero chance of condensation under normal circumstances.

An example I have given in the past for someone who was worried about bringing a laptop inside and outside constantly. A system that is on will have no cold surfaces to condensate with.

The worry is a powered down system taken in from the cold into a warm room. Then moisture in the warm air will condensate on the cold system. So, my advice to someone who receives new computer hardware in winter, leave it in the box to warm up for a few hours before opening.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
It is humidity and temperature differences that lead to condensation. Normal air always contains some moisture. Colder air generally has less moisture actually.

Condensation could occur if the room was rapidly heated with humidified air and the system was still cool. If the system is on there is zero chance of condensation under normal circumstances.

An example I have given in the past for someone who was worried about bringing a laptop inside and outside constantly. A system that is on will have no cold surfaces to condensate with.

The worry is a powered down system taken in from the cold into a warm room. Then moisture in the warm air will condensate on the cold system. So, my advice to someone who receives new computer hardware in winter, leave it in the box to warm up for a few hours before opening.
Yes that exactly, since before the temps go below 10c i move to another hotter room, and i just wanted to know when should i do that since my components are gonna get cold which are currently sitting in my room and when all of them arrive they are gonna be assembled in a hotter room, just good to know.

And if i lets say play in a cold room like 5C and i turn on the pc and shut it down in the night and repeat every day is that dangerous? for the components?

kanewolf

Titan
Yes that exactly, since before the temps go below 10c i move to another hotter room, and i just wanted to know when should i do that since my components are gonna get cold which are currently sitting in my room and when all of them arrive they are gonna be assembled in a hotter room, just good to know.

And if i lets say play in a cold room like 5C and i turn on the pc and shut it down in the night and repeat every day is that dangerous? for the components?
If you don't move the PC between environments, you don't have any worries. There won't be moisture to condense.
If you move between cold to warm, then I would probably wrap the PC with a cold room temp plastic sheet before moving. Then the moisture will condense (if necessary) on the plastic. Allow the entire, wrapped bundle to heat to the warm room temp -- several hours or overnight. Then take off the plastic sheet and power up normally. You don't have to do anything special going from warm to cold with the PC. The fans will circulate the drier cold room air and prevent condensation of any of the excess moisture from the warm room.