Build Advice Temperature and Stability issues with Intel i5-13600K ?

skye2388

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
I upgraded my motherboard and CPU last night because my old CPU appeared to be bottlenecking my GPU while using my new LG Ultragear 34" 21:9 3440x1440 gaming monitor (34GN850-B) while running The Last of Us Part 1 on max settings (my CPU utilization was at 100% and and GPU was between 70-80%). I was under the impression through research that ideally the CPU should be between 40-70% and the GPU should be 99-100% utilization while in graphically demanding games and high resolutions.

I had previously been running an i5-11600K with a Dell - S3220DGF 32" 16:9 LED monitor. The night before I received my new monitor, I checked my utilizations and they fell within the "ideal" range described above. Also, temps were good w/ 11600K 60-70C, GPU 70-80C. This is what prompted me to think bottlenecking might be occurring.

Well, last night I received my new i5-13600K and Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A MB and after installation, I noticed that right out of the box with default BIOS settings the processor was running extremely hot and core clocks were locked at max clock speeds. While stress testing with Cinebench R23 my temps on all cores were 90C+ and one or two cores actually reached 100C. This definitely did not seem right to me as I've never seen any CPU run so hot before so I made a few brief attempts at undervolting the CPU within BIOs (it was getting really late) in order to get lower temps.

I believe by default it was being fed around 1.4v which through research I've understood to be way overkill. So my first attempt was a pretty big jump down to 1.2 volts. When I saved and restarted out of BIOs my computer wouldn't boot and the monitors would just keep rebooting to a black screen. Was that an indication of instability?

I held the power button down to shut it off and then turned it on again manually and finally got it to boot back into BIOs. I brought the voltage back up to 1.375v in order to attempt a few smaller increments. It appeared stable again but Cinebench still ran my CPU hot in the 90C-100C range. After downvolting to 1.350v Cinebench still ran 90-98C and down to 1.325v I started experiencing the same reboot failure described above again. I also tried disabling Multicore Enhancement, Intel Turbo Adaptive Boost Technology, and setting Core Ratio Limit to 5.1 but still the same results i.e. core clocks locked at max, high Cinebench temps, unable to undervolt more than .050v, etc.

I'm currently at a loss for what to try next. Am I missing something here or is there something significantly diff about 13th gen raptor lake? I'm getting a little desperate right now and would even consider buying a new AIO...any feedback or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Specs are as follows:
i5-13600k
MSI Ventus 3x oc 3080 Ti
Deepcool Castle Ex360 AIO
Asus Rog Strix Z690-A
32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 RAM
2 x SATA SSDs
1 x Firecuda M.2 NVMe SSD
Phanteks Eclipse P500a high airflow case
EVGA Supernova 750W Plat Cert. PSU

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,

So,

the CPU should be between 40-70% and the GPU should be 99-100% utilization while in graphically demanding games and high resolutions.
This is about right. But obviously there's a lot that can change it. It's really game/app dependant.

Also, temps were good w/ 11600K 60-70C, GPU 70-80C. This is what prompted me to think bottlenecking might be occurring.
This is about right on the temps for both CPU/GPU. Same about utilisation. Any res above 1080p, and the load (percieved bottleneck) moves more on to the GPU. So, I wouldn't think too much of a bottleneck at all. But again there's many variables, that would change that.

Well, last night I received my new i5-13600K and Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A MB and after installation, I noticed that right out of the box with default BIOS settings the processor was running extremely hot and core clocks were locked at max clock speeds. While stress testing with Cinebench R23 my temps on all cores were 90C+ and one or two cores actually reached 100C. This definitely did not seem right to me as I've never seen any CPU run so hot before so I made a few brief attempts at undervolting the CPU within BIOs (it was getting really late) in order to get lower temps.

When you installed the cooler again, what thermal paste did you use, and how did you apply it? If not done correctly it could be this. Are you sure that the cooler was placed on correctly? You may have to try again.

I believe by default it was being fed around 1.4v which through research I've understood to be way overkill. So my first attempt was a pretty big jump down to 1.2 volts. When I saved and restarted out of BIOs my computer wouldn't boot and the monitors would just keep rebooting to a black screen. Was that an indication of instability?

Yes, most likely instability.

So, lets go back to basics. Default the bios so you've made zero changes. It might also be worth mentioning to do a bios update if you haven't already. Again, it's another potential fix for a modern platform. By changing any settings, you are only introducing more variables to factor in for an accurate diagnosis. If you do a bios update, make sure to clear CMOS afterward, to ensure the bios upgrade takes correctly.

I wouldn't swap out the AIO, just yet. It should fine for the 13600k. If it were a 13700k/13900k/s then we would expect high temps at load.

13th gen Raptor runs hot :)