Temperature Changed 20 celcius On My Digital Display Need Help!

Fortified

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Hey guys, I have recently encountered a problem with my computer but I am not exactly sure what it is, so let me tell you the deal.

I use a Intel i7 970 3.2 ghz 6 core processor with an older 2011 Enermax liquid cooling, ASUS sabertooth x58 motherboard, and a Geforce GTX 580 3 gig. 12 gigs of 2024 mhz ram. 1k watt power supply.

Normally I play games hardcore every day for 8 hours sometimes even for 12-15 hours and my digital temperature is reading around 26-28 celsius tops by the end of the night. Normally if im not doing anything it would sit around 22-24 celsius.

For the past week my digital temperature rises to around 35 celsius just looking at the desktop background, and when I hop up in a game (Diablo 3 or counter-strike nothing that big) it goes up to 40-42 celsius. On the weekend the thing was beeping at me so I know something is up.

So i'm seeing a 20 celsius different here, and I have the inside of my computer almost Spotless now and it is still really high compared to average.

Now with the actual temperatures that I get from CPUID HWMonitor, Im getting the folowing temps:
(Keep in mind I started this a little after I have begun gaming)

ASUS Sabertooth x58:
    SYSTIN - 45 celsius max 36 celsius Min
    CPUTIN - 90 celsius max 23 celsius Min
    AUXTIN - 147 celsius max 57 celsius Min

Intel Core i7 970:
    Core #0 - 47 celsius max 27 celsius Min
    Core #1 - 27 celsius max 25 celsius Min
    Core #2 - 49 celsius max 26 celsius Min
    Core #8 - 47 celsius max 25 celsius Min
    Core #9 - 53 celsius max 27 celsius Min
    Core #10 51 celsius max 26 celsius Min

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580:
    70 celsius max 42 celsius Min

Hitachi Harddrive:
    32 celsius max 27 celsius Min

All of my fans are running, I'm not sure if my liquid cooler went bad or what. Let me know what you guys think.
Thank you for your time and help.

Solution
Power it down. Do a thorough cleaning. Take the fan off the heatsink and clean it. See if that helps. you can use compressed air, vacuum, paper towel with alcohol, whatever.

Next step would be to see if your thermal interface material dried out, but try just cleaning first. That CPU model typically does run a bit on the warm side.

Fortified

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Sorry, I meant tho say this in the last post lol.
Im in a basement and its usually around 65-70 degrees ish, stays pretty cool down here during the summer and gets even colder in the winter. And its only like 60-70 degrees outside, Ambient temperature has never really changed my digital that much, maybe just a couple celsius tops on a really hot 100 F day. It would never hit 30 celsius, ... ever. and now at desktop not even doing anything it rises like a bottle rocket.

Power it down. Do a thorough cleaning. Take the fan off the heatsink and clean it. See if that helps. you can use compressed air, vacuum, paper towel with alcohol, whatever.

Next step would be to see if your thermal interface material dried out, but try just cleaning first. That CPU model typically does run a bit on the warm side.

Solution

Fortified

Reputable
May 19, 2014

I have been pretty consistent with cleaning the computer ever since I have had it. This weekend when the thing started beeping (it must have been really hot) I pretty much did the best cleaning I have ever done on it. Ever fan blade completely pulled out the graphics card and hit that up really nice. I busted out the air compressor and took my tower outside, unloaded air on it. Power supply clean, Graphics clean, Hard drives clean, fans, liquid cooling radiator both sides, vacuumed everywhere.
And its still going up to 40 - 42 celsius without a problem, from the lower 20's :(

I will have to check the thermal paste and stuff, thats pretty much one of the things left that I have to check. That or the liquid cooler went bad I was thinking. But you guys would know alot better than me

Fortified

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Im sorry =(

Check to make sure everything is tightened down properly. You can run your computer with the side panel off and listen for the pump running. That's really the only thing that can fail. It's not likely, but it does happen from time to time.

The other thing is the thermal grease could have gone bad. Pretty easy $5 fix.

lol no worries. He knows we were just horsing around :)

TRENDING THREADS