Question Temperature concerns regarding the backplate of a newly bought CPU cooler

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone, first post in the forum. Big time lurker.
Specs, to begin with:

Mobo: MSI B450M Bazooka
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Windpower 1266 (provided the link for the product below as I see that this cpu cooler has not made its way into global market as of now) https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=236

So I have bought a fairly cheap CPU cooler (as above) from a local store as I was unhappy with the cooling performance of Wraith Spire. Installed it and it works fine, CPU temps are very good (80C on Aida64 stability testing). The thing that bothers me is that during the stability test mobo temps go as far as 81-82 degrees and afaik that is too hot for a mobo even for stress test. When I was trying to find the culprit I touched the backplate and it was extremely hot to touch. Cooler backplate came with a cheap ass thin insulation pad to stick between the backplate and mobo. I think what heats the motherboard is the insufficient insulation pad provided by Xigmatek. I'm thinking of buying an Arctic thermal pad to remove the provided pad and to replace it.

Am I thinking correct or should there be anything else I should be looking for? Any insights? Thanks in advance!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
80C isn't atypical for motherboard components. But do you know where that sensor is exactly?

The good thing about a backplate being warm is that means it is absorbing heat and helping to dissipate it. Would be stranger if it were cool.

If your idea is that through the motherboard the rest of the cooler will take that heat away, I doubt it very much.

Sep 25, 2019
80C isn't atypical for motherboard components. But do you know where that sensor is exactly?

The good thing about a backplate being warm is that means it is absorbing heat and helping to dissipate it. Would be stranger if it were cool.

If your idea is that through the motherboard the rest of the cooler will take that heat away, I doubt it very much.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I don't know where the sensor is unfortunately. Do you know how I can locate where it is?

Well yeah, 80C may not be atypical but mobo temps were not as high when I was using the Wraith Spire with the included backplate which has a nice thick-ish white insulation material.

Stock cooler CPU temps on Aida64 stability tests were reaching as far as 100C but mobo temp was hovering around 65-70C, so with the new tower cooler something is causing the motherboard to get unnecessarily hot. I also touched various parts of the heatsink while stress testing with the new cooler and it is nice and warm but not very hot unlike the backplate. So my thought was to cover with the Arctic thermal pad all parts of the backplate where it makes contact with the motherboard, that way it would absorb the heat.

Well, I already ordered the thermal pads so I'll see if it will make any difference. Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2019
Kind of late, but for anyone having the same issue, I removed the default heat insulation pad and applied Arctic's 0.5mm thermal pad and motherboard heat is now back to normal values, as in, around 60°C in Aida 64 stability testing.