Temperature Controlled Case Fans & Fan Controller - Which is deciding the RPM?

Solution
"however the fan may still adhere to it's temperature sensor and possibly ramp up if the sensor detects a high temp."
Correct, but it will not be able to increase the speed more than the one allowed by the voltage provided by the NZXT.
I would set the NZXT at max and let the fan adjust its speed, based on the temperature detected by the sensor.
Good question.
My guess: if connected to the power supply, the fan speed is regulated by the fan's controller. If connected to the motherboard, the fan's controller might have a role, but the voltage is determined by the motherboard. Same for the NZXT controller.
So the fan's controller, might increase/decrease resistivity, based on temperature. Voltage is determined by the NZXT controller.

OptimusPrimate

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

OK, so working theory might be that if you use a 3pin to Molex attachment to power the Fan, it'll regulate RPM itself.

If it is connected to the MB it will power itself through that 3pin header, and left to it's own devices it will regulate itself still with its own temperature sensor.

If it is plugged into a Fan Controller, such as the NZXT, it will receive its power from that, and the NZXT will attempt to control RPM with Voltage, however the fan may still adhere to it's temperature sensor and possibly ramp up if the sensor detects a high temp.

Sound about right? I guess the only way to test it would be to set the NZXT to a fixed low RPM, then have the Fans sensor poke outside the case and fire a heat source at it and monitor the Fans RPM to see if it ramps up? But then I guess even if it does ramp up, the NZXT will decrease it's voltage supply to bring the RPM back down again?

This is making my head hurt :heink:

"however the fan may still adhere to it's temperature sensor and possibly ramp up if the sensor detects a high temp."
Correct, but it will not be able to increase the speed more than the one allowed by the voltage provided by the NZXT.
I would set the NZXT at max and let the fan adjust its speed, based on the temperature detected by the sensor.

Solution