Temperature for an overclocked i7-7700K?

wpmp36

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
Hello.

So, I've been looking left and right about trying to fix my i7 7700K heat spikes.
Changed thermal paste, lowered voltages and so on, I noticed a small dip in heat when I lowered from 1.33V to 1.22V, as 1.33V was the stock settings mine came with.

Just first recently I've started to tweak around with my system since I got the CPU almost almost a year ago.

Might be the problem that I run my rig with a H45. Not sure if a single radiator should struggle with this CPU or not.

Running 4.6GHz right now, basicly, the turbo boost.

While running Warcraft, I get around 47-55C, depending on area in game.

When I try a more CPU demanding game as PUBG, I get maximum of 65C, used to be 73C before I lowered the voltages.

Also, sometimes when I open my web browser, Firefox, it can spike up to around 71-74C, but only on that brief second I click on my browser.

I've been suggested to switch to Noctua coolers or upgrade to Dual Radiator, but lack of funds right now, and a new CPU cooler is not on my "buy list" right now as I lack an SSD big enough for my Steam Library.

Solution
wpmp36,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Core temperatures increase and decrease instantly with changes in load.

Intel’s specification for DTS response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup, which should eventually settle. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive or continued spiking can be disabled.

6th Generation processors introduced...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
wpmp36,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Core temperatures increase and decrease instantly with changes in load.

Intel’s specification for DTS response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup, which should eventually settle. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive or continued spiking can be disabled.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th and 8th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are currently developing BIOS fixes that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options.

Here's the operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C aren't recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are preferred.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

You might want to read our Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution