Temperature for Pentium D 805

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arthalen

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I'm having problems with keeping this chip cool..

Setup:

Pentium D 805
Asus P5WD2 Mobo
2x 1GB Corsair VS DDR2 533
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF - applied with Artic Silver 5
Thermaltake Soprano Case with
standard 120mm Exhaust
standard 80mm SideFan
SilverStone 120mm FM 121 Intake Fan
HiperPower 580Watt PSU (non Type-R, has 120mm in bottom and mesh body)

Overclocked to FSB 180mhz - 3.6Ghz.

On Idle hitting 42-45C, on Dual Prime Load hitting 68-70C.

I've double checked the reading with both Asus PC Probe and Speedfan, similar readings. I've checked the Heatsink is secure and tried pushing it down incase of bad contact - no shift in temperature. Manual touching the BigT tells me its not burning hot to the touch, merely warm... 8O

I'm thinking I may move the silverstone fan to on top of the BigT, see if that helps.... :idea:

Any other suggestions ???????? Please ?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Youch that does seem hot I have mine running a the same speed with the stock cooler and even mines not that hot ! I can get to 61C if I play oblivion and run P2P in the background with some web pages open... maybe a bum chip ? 70C is the danger zone (and I dont like anything over 60C personaly...) Is your voltage stock ? if its higher then normal try backing it down a little and if its stock try turning it up a bit (it seems weird but sometimes it works) but if you turn up the voltage watch those temps like a hawk.

iiiceaser

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I’ve been a reader of TG for some time, and I was happy (more relieved) to see others were having some issues with the Pentium D 805. I’ve built three computers before; all AMD64 based on 3200+ processors and modestly OCed. I just built a new computer for one of my friends, though, based on an 805 D and out of the box we’re having some serious temperature issues. I’ve never had a need to go on a forum before, but I can’t figure this one out… I’ll give the details, specs, and pics below.

I figured the Intel HSF would be no good, so I went with a Dynatron P34 60mm 2 Ball HSF from NewEgg to start with. I used Arctic Silver 5 on it instead of the provided thermal grease. Also note: the build is only about 12 hours old, so the AS5 hasn’t had proper time to cure yet… but I still didn’t think it should be running so hot (NEARLY 80C at load!). We haven't tried any overclocking at all, obviously, I want to figure out what is wrong with this temperature ASAP.

Dynatron P34 60mm 2 Ball HSF
P5WD2 Premium Mobo
1GB DDR2 800 memory
EVGA 7900GT
WD 10k Raptor 74GB
CoolerMaster Ammo533 Case
Sunon 120mm case fan in back of case

THE PROBLEM: I presume (based on my screen shots) that one core is seriously overheating, while the other core is more than stable. I’d like to have the first core around 45C idle (it’s at 65C idle now, and the 2nd core 21C idle)… Just doesn’t seem right. I was very sure to attach the HSF securely, and tightly, on all 4 screws. Also I used a very thin layer of AS5 (maybe I need to apply more?) I’ve already attempted updating the BIOS (no change) and messing with the Q-fan control and other hardware monitoring items in BIOS, also with no luck. PS I know the pics colors are off, I had to edit them and save them in 256 color mode to compress them enough to post...

Since it seems I'm just a tad under the 100 posts necessary to post images; here is a link to my poorly compressed photos... http://members.aol.com/iiiceaser/

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

J

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
yeah thats way way waaaayyyy too hot mine maxes out at 61C playing Oblivion and running Azureus in the background. Thats the stock speeds ??? Case fans ? Something is up either the sensor is reading bad or you got a bad chip I would RMA it.... at 80C durring use I would give it six months to live maybe lol (actualy not sure how long it would last but either way its not good) Is that over clocked at all ?

iiiceaser

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I haven’t tried OCing at all. I had just gotten everything installed right and updated, and was installing a few probe and monitoring programs to check the pre-overclocked levels when I discovered how hot the chip was already running. The case has an intake fan in the front, and a huge 120mm external fan in the back, to go along with the PSU and aftermarket HSF (which is pure copper and runs about 6000 rpm I believe). Also the case is very clean inside, only 1 of 5 5¼ bays used, only 1 of 5 3 ½ bays occupied, and only 1 of 7 PCI slots used. I think it must be a bad chip, or some thermal sensor is seriously screwed; but that wouldn’t make too much sense b/c all of the other readings seem very plausible.

I actually already called NewEgg today to RMA the CPU. They were very understanding and helpful, as usual, and are going to give me a full refund on the chip. I think I convinced my friend to get a Pentium D 930 for $70 more as a replacement. I figure the 4mb cache will be a bonus to the 2mb, and the 65nm should run a little cooler than the 90nm, no?

Thanks for the help,

J

PlasticLSD

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I'm having problems with keeping this chip cool..

Overclocked to FSB 180mhz - 3.6Ghz.

On Idle hitting 42-45C, on Dual Prime Load hitting 68-70C.
Similar setup except I use the scythe ninja for cooling and yea it throttles at 4.6 with dual prime (70C). I think its just the fact that these are hot chips. I find it funny that the recent article fails to mention throttling until the 4GHz mark when they list their temperatures above 70 for many of the lower speeds.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page25.html

Hell they break 70C way before 3.6GHz with the zalman.

Youch that does seem hot I have mine running a the same speed with the stock cooler and even mines not that hot ! I can get to 61C if I play oblivion and run P2P in the background with some web pages open... maybe a bum chip ?
Nothing loads this chip like 2 copies of prime. I can almost guarantee you'll get close to if not pass 70C.