Temperature for Pentium D 805

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Guys, I'm using Pentium D 805 on Intel D945GNTL and :
- CPU temperature is around 58-62 Celcius
- Mobo temperature 37-40 Celcius
- Hdd Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200.9 temperature 40-43 Celcius.
Are those temperatures normal? If I need HSF change, any recommendation please?
BTW the CPU fan control is on, and if I turn it off, it's only 3200rpm. I think it's quite slow coz my previous Pentium 3 was 4500rpm.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
If those are CPU idle temps.. I'd say that is too hot.

I'd check to see how much airflow your getting throw your case, first, since those temps seem abit high. I'd say anywhere 28-34C is good for case temp.

If it is airflow, you can try running it with the side off, do what ever you can to move that air out of the case (point a house fan at it), and check the temp. If it drops off to around 40ish C (idle), then I'd say your HSF is seated okay, and that you may have to work around the case to get airflow.

If it is not airflow, then I'd redo the thermal compound, and reseat the HSF, if the temp is at or above 50C with air forced on it.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Yes it's idle temperature. Those were temperatures with my case open. I tried to close the case yesterday and the board temp increased to 49 Celcius.

Then I tried to put a fan on the case wall right in front of the HSF, but the temps were still high, they only drop around 2-4 degree compared with the case opened. The fan blew wind into the case.

Then I tried to put the fan on the back under PSU, take the heat out of the case. But it was as worse as the case closed without fan.

I can't find the right place to put my fan at the front. Any suggetion?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
To get a picture of what your dealing with..

What kind of PC case you using?

Your idle - how many processes are running? (CPU load should be 0-2 percent, and somewhere 20+ processes)

Are you on the stock HSF by intel? Did you install the HSF yourself?

What videocard are you using? (looking at other heat sources)

I'm guessing you may possibly have an improperly installed HSF (should be able to get it into the mid 40's at least, idle) and not so good airflow from them mother board going up to 49C (with the side on). But not all MB sensors are going to give the same results.

I have about 4 different systems that have similar temp readings (general run times of at least 8hours case 29-34C / room temp 70-74F). One system (my dads- MB 50C) reads the highest, but his XP2400+ is idle 42C.

I know all different MB sensors are not going to be accuate, but they are good indicators to a point. Those temps are close to a threshold to where the PC may shut down from CPU overheating, or back throttle allot since it is a P805.

Hopefully you can get good sound advice from the people here.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I using a cheap Simbadda case, it has 2 place to put 2 fan at the back under PSU. My idle was only running 3 Internet Explorer and Winamp 5 with classic skin.

Yes it's stock HSF by Intel and I installed it by myself. I didn't do anything to the thermal compund from the stock. I installed the CPU and place the HSF.

I'm using onboard VGA, I only have 1 SATA Hdd, and 1 CD writer.
I think the mobo temp is not so high coz I lived in Indonesia (which is hot), and no air-conditioning. But the CPU temp is high.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
coz I lived in Indonesia (which is hot), and no air-conditioning

8O , no wonder. I guess you saw my room temp at 70-74F. I have A/C but not used at the momment, since it is kinda still winterish, but actually Spring time.

How warm is the room get where you run the PC? I'm guessing around 80F?

I'm also guessing, if you did get a big copper heatsink, it may help some. Hard to say since your temps are 58-62C CPU idle. Can't image what it does under full load.

What I've noticed with my zalman 7700, I didn't see too much of a difference idle, but I did notice the load temps. Though, I am on a northwood core rather PD805. (lol and in a 70F room)

So, bigger heatsink is what I'd advice. Maybe your intel stock HSF may have been better then my intel stock HSF, since mine was all aluminum. I noticed some intel are made with some copper.

To give you an idea what the 7700 (918 grams copper) did for me:

stock vs zalman:

stock: 2.66@2.90ghz
idle - 41-44C
load - 63-65C

zalman: 2.66@2.90ghz
idle - 39-43C
load - 49-53C

Also I kinda modded my airflow to help move the air better in my case. Only thing that may be a pain for you to get a zalman, is you may need to take the MB out to install the back plate.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I just tried to reinstall the HSF, and guess what? Intel's thermal compound is more like glue than thermal compound. My HSF sticked with the CPU, I was shocked hearing the "kkrrrkkk" sound :? when I pulled the HSF. I just noticed that it's true there's some copper material on my HSF, but it's only on the surface that touch the CPU. :(

I never used Fahrenheit, luckily there's a function in Ms Excel, so I think it's around 83F here. :?

58-62C was the temp when I turned on the CPU Fan Control, now I turn it off and my CPU temp now drops to 50-53C with 3700rpm HSF.

I don't think I can put Zalman 7700, coz I there's only around 3cm between my current HSF and PSU. I was wondering how could the motherboard handle Zalman CNPS9500? :?:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ahh... great. At least you got idle temps down. That seems more about normal 50-53C considering your room temp.

Forgot about CPU Fan Control, I usually have fans run at full speed. :oops:

Ya, I figured you have the better stock one, and ya have to be careful taking off the HS when the compound has cured (depending on the type used). Usually if you twist 1st, you break the bond between the HSF and the CPU. Then you can pull it up, but some installions may make it hard to twist 1st.

My room will get 80-82F in the summer when the A/C is off, and goes by a different room temp. I guess I'll see how well my system stays cooler with the Zalmans.

The 9500 might be better since it points the fan to force air to the rear exhaust fans and draws heat farther away from the MB, just a lil more expensive to get.

The 7700 is quite big, I have a pic to show ya what room clearance I have:

open-s2.jpg

So it might be a very tight fit, or just won't fit at all.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
Ahh... great. At least you got idle temps down. That seems more about normal 50-53C considering your room temp.

Forgot about CPU Fan Control, I usually have fans run at full speed. :oops:

Ya, I figured you have the better stock one, and ya have to be careful taking off the HS when the compound has cured (depending on the type used). Usually if you twist 1st, you break the bond between the HSF and the CPU. Then you can pull it up, but some installions may make it hard to twist 1st.

My room will get 80-82F in the summer when the A/C is off, and goes by a different room temp. I guess I'll see how well my system stays cooler with the Zalmans.

The 9500 might be better since it points the fan to force air to the rear exhaust fans and draws heat farther away from the MB, just a lil more expensive to get.

The 7700 is quite big, I have a pic to show ya what room clearance I have:

open-s2.jpg

So it might be a very tight fit, or just won't fit at all.

emm Grimmy , looks like your setup -cooling setup is kinda bad

looks like your "exhuast" fans in the back of your case r the wrong way

u dont want hot air staying in your case u need to get that hot air out

i suggest u turn those antec fans around

=]

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, I purposely put them in reverse. Believe it or not, I get better cooling on the CPU, with a sacrifice of 2-4+C on the MB temp.

The 2 exhaust act like intakes. The Zalman can get cooler air from the rear, as well as the PSU (has bottom fan as well as rear)

The 2 intakes in the front of the case are now exhausts. ( yes I feel warm air coming out the front)

I have a piece of cardboard in the back of the outside case to keep warm air from the PSU to be sucked back into the rear intake (exhaust, gawd that confusing to discribe)

So, airflow on my case is running backwards. :lol:

You made an exllecent observation though :wink:

This is basically my results:

My Thread on Zalman 7700

I descible temps with correct airflow, and then reverse.

Edit: Also my AS5 hasn't totally cured yet... not sure how much of the 200 hours is left.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Errr.... Zalman 7700 cost around $55 in my country, that's quite a money to me. I'm looking for something around $30-35? :?
BTW I installed my rear fan as you did Grimmy, and with the case opened. If I closed the case, my mobo temp raised to 45C.
So you have 4 fan in your case? 8O Wow, I wonder how noisy they are.
BTW how about Hdd temp? My Seagate 80GB 7200rpm SATA II is 42C. Is that hot?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, the 7700 Zalman is a lil expensive, I got mine for 48.99 free 3 day shipping. I could have got it for 44 bucks from another site. Though, that other 9500 Zalman is really expensive. NewEgg had it for 60 bucks, CompUSA had it for 80 bucks. That was why I just jumped on the 48.99 w/free shipping. :lol:

I guess it would be somewhat harder to get a good price for it at where your at. Heh, I would hate to know how much it would be for you to get the 9500.

There might be another alternative or better solution that maybe cheaper, though I'm not sure what site you use to buy PC parts.

Yes, my main XP PC actually has 5 80mm fans, the side has one. Also has a slot fan under the VGA card, which has a Zalman VF700 92mm fan, and the PSU has 2 (intake/exhaust). I'm not too bothered by the noise of the fans, since I'm hard of hearing anyways. :lol:

Plus I have 2 other PC running that has fans as well, so my room is filled with fan buzzing. I'm used to it, plus I use headphones every now and then.

So your running the fans like I am? Using the rear as an intake, rather then exhaust? If the exhaust fan is taking in hot air from the PSU, that might be bad. Like I mentioned, I tried keeping hot air from going back in. I usually put my hand in spaces of the case to figure out hot spots to see if I can get a fan to remove or push hot air out. Since the rear exhaust fan is an intake, do you have another fan to help push it out in the front? that may help get temps down on the MB.

Also, my room has a ceiling fan, so I take note on how the air is pushed around my room. So if it is set to push air up, the walls would have a downward force of air, which my pc sits close to the wall. So that is why I had card board between the PSU exhaust, and my exhaust fan as an intake.

The HD temp on my SATA is 25C and doesn't seem to change much. My linux HD temp was 26C but went up to 27C just now. Though, I'm not totally sure if they are correct temp readings for the HD. I'm just assuming it is.

40C for you HD would be a lil toasty for it. Might want to be sure it is the HD temp. I'd unmount it from the case and try running it outside the case to see if temps go down. Then if it does, try to relocate it to somewhere cooler in the case, or think of a way to get air going for it, which does sound like you don't have airflow in the front.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Didn't realize how much I typed in the above post.

Well, looks like my room hit 80F this morning, was warm outside, 74F. To give you an idea what the temps are going for me now:

P4 2.66@2.960 XP Home
Full CPU load folding: 54-55C
Case: 35-36C
HD: 25C <-not too sure about that one :?

Linux FC5 AMD Thunderbird 1 ghz
Full CPU load folding: 57-58C
Case: 35C
HD: 27C <-not too sure about that one either :lol:

Linux FC5 PII 400
Full CPU load folding: 49C
Case: 32C
HD: N/A

Linux FC5 PIII 800
CPU load folding: N/A <-- can't seem to bring this up :cry:
Case: 35C
HD: NA

Running 3 PC in one room.... gets pretty warm 8O
Other PII 400 is running in another room... heh
**on a side note, these systems have been running over 24 hours.

Edit: looks like it might even get a lil warmer today too.. might need to turn on AC or turn off folding :oops:

Edit: I did stumble on this link from reading another post:

10 Mamoth HSF

Those are benchies (almost a year ago) for different types of models you could look at, and price.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Zalman 9500 cost around $75 here. I'm interested in Thermaltake Mini Typhoon, but it's not sold here yet. The retailer offered me Blue ORB II $35, Silent 775 $28 and Polo 735 $32.
Polo 735 has more copper than Silent 775, but Silent 775 has heat pipe. Which on is better? I don't think Blue ORB will fit, coz that crap Intel chipet heatsink (I hate this Intel mobo).

As you can see, I have no place to put fan at the front, I was thinking to put it above the hdd, but I'm confused where to screw it. Above the hdd there's a hole for fdd, which I don't have one, so I hope I can suck clean air from there.

Or can this stupid thought work?

I put something between the fan so the exhaust fan won't suck the new air from the fan above.

You can get the actual hdd temp using Speedfan http://www.almico.com/installspeedfan428.exe, but this freeware is not compatible with Pentium D I guess. At least I can read my hdd temp.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd say the Silent 775 should do good out of all the choices, besides the Zalman 9500.

Wow.. Although, looking at those pic's, you do have definate airflow problem. In your case I even see your PSU is going to re-introduce hot air back into the case, since you are using the exhaust fans as an intake, and nothing to really push it out, and bring in cool air. So it recirculating heat, unless your some how ducting that hot air away from the rear case fans, like I have been doing.

Since you don't have fans in the front, your not really able to push air out like my case is doing (including the side to push cool air in). I suppose the side case doesn't have a fan. You should be able to find somekind of mod kit to have one put on the side, or perhaps on the very top (meaning like where the PSU is like a blow hole on a whale).

I do see holes on the bottom of your case where the HD bay is, does your case have clearance underneth it? Might be able to mout a fan there to pull air up from the bottom of the case. Can't see into your bays to really tell if you can or cannot install fans in them.

I would put the exhaust fans back to push air out, and figure out something with that bottom vent, and maybe put a side fan on at the most. I'd also get a bunch of cable ties to get those power cords organized and tucked away from the MB.

If you put your DVD/CD-Rom on the middle bay, you can use that as a shelf to rest the cables when you cable tie them. Plus you might be able to install fans to push air directly to the CPU. (looks like it is in the line of site). Just an example:

5.25 Bay Fan

I know this is for HDs, but if you don't want to drill holes into the case, this may push some air into the front of the case to the CPU. It prolly will be noisy, and will not move air as good as 80mm fan. (80mm push at least 30CFM, while those push 20CMF, RPM are bit high, but they are small).

And if you go with that idea, you might want to get the IDE cable that is rounded instead of flat like you have that is on your DVD/CD-Rom drive. Or if you can manage to fold that cable neatly and push/tuck it aside. I think it will at least get air in, and the exhaust will help pull it in, while the HSF takes in it.

Just try to get you to imagine a way for air to get in, and get out. That last picture you did, still introduces heat from the PSU, and may cause a vacum lock to where air isn't flowing anywhere. But if you do place something inbetween, may help (plastic). Cardboard would eventually just bend, and to keep it in place, may be a pain.

gagaga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I've got an 805 .. runs around 34C idle (overclocked to 3.4GHz at stock voltage) ... rises to high 40s loaded. This is stock HSF, case side off (six HDDs in there to keep cool). Does sound ridiculously low compared to what most find on here .. maybe I fitted the HSF wrong :lol: In the UK so guess my room was around 20C heated.

I've just bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro after great experience of the same on an Opteron .. these cost about half what the Zalmans do. Do a google for reviews .. they often win comparisons on price/performance.

Link is http://www.arcticcooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc= ... the guide prices sound high - mine was less than £12 before tax ($20US).

Good luck with fixing this up...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That would work great (design wise to push out in the flow of the exhaust) for him, if he could get find it in Indonesia, or merchant that would deliver it.

Other problem he has is 83F room temps, and airflow problem in his case.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
OK thanks guys.
I got your point about that hot air from PSU grimmy. Now I'm trying to move that fan to the case side. I do have fan mounting on the case side, right in front of the CPU. But the fan sound noisier there. :(
Now my case is :
- exhaust fan at the back
- intake fan at the side case in front of CPU
- put a piece of paper to ensure the clean air go directly to HSF instead of being sucked by exhaust fan at the back.
I manage to keep the case temp to 40C in closed condition (usually 45C closed), but the CPU seems to be hotter coz the CPU fan is 4500rpm (CPU temp stays 52C).

FYI, the upper fan in the pic has higher RPM than the lower. The lower fan is only around 1600rpm. I haven't make any arrangement to my cables, since I still plug n unplug here n there. :?

I think those holes at the bottom are speaker holes, coz they're only 5x5 4cm I guess. I've checked that 5.25 Bay Fan, looks like it's gonna be very noisy with 6500rpm. I'll skip that one.

@gagaga :
8O Wow it's amazing only 34C. Even your room temp is 8C lower, still 34C compared to my 52C is amazing 8O . Do you use stock thermal paste as well? My friend's Northwood 2.6Ghz is 43C. Are you sure it's CPU temp?

Yes Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 is very interesting, I was just about to ask about that. Now I'm focusing on Thermaltake Mini Typhoon and Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, even though I haven't found Arctic Cooling retailer here.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I've checked that 5.25 Bay Fan, looks like it's gonna be very noisy with 6500rpm. I'll skip that one.

Hehe, ya it would be loud, but just a thought if you didn't want to mod the case with fans (actual cutting out a hole and use a fan/grill kit). I wasn't sure if you had a side fan mount.

Nice to see you dropped some of the heat off (case wise). It makes sense that it would have a fan for the side case for side to rear airflow.

That Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 would help out pretty well. They are great for the price if you can find one.

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I just checked Arctic Cooling Freezer 7, it's $38 damn expensive. They don't have Freezer 7 Pro yet. The official website said that Pro has better cooling than Freezer 7. Pro has 6 pipes and lower noise design, while Freezer 7 has 4 and bigger pipes. Check this out
They also offered me Scythe Katana Cu $33.
So what do you think? Should I wait for the Pro? Katana or Thermaltake Silent 775?

mclarenr

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
You looked at Katana 775, which is only for LGA 775. I mean Katana Cu which is universal, even socket 370 can use it, and the heatsink is made of copper overall. Anyway they're the same design.
I don't understand how come Katana can also make cooling for the mobo too. The heatsink is hot coz of the heat pipe, so the air flowing through it should be hot too, don't you think?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You looked at Katana 775, which is only for LGA 775. I mean Katana Cu which is universal, even socket 370 can use it, and the heatsink is made of copper overall. Anyway they're the same design.
I don't understand how come Katana can also make cooling for the mobo too. The heatsink is hot coz of the heat pipe, so the air flowing through it should be hot too, don't you think?

Ah.. I see. NewEgg has it for $29.99

About what your saying of it helping to cool the MB. My 7700 CU is suppost to do the same, but it still does release heat that goes towards the MB, its suppose to disburst heat, so I don't see how it can really cool a MB. I think its just marketing talk. :lol:

Saw the review that was in English, seems to do okay. Only thing I'm not sure if I like is the tilt it has:

Picture2%20024.jpg

I thought it was to help airflow with the case (didn't really noticed that tilt). Yes, the HS is going to dissipate heat, but pushing it at or tward the MB doesn't seem that logical to me, with that tilt it has. Unless it is to help (fan) avoid hitting the RAM dimms on different MBs.

Freezer 7 Pro seems to really sit straight, and looks good for airflow.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
have you gotton your cpu temps down?

I have an d805, overclocked to 3.4ghz with stock hsf. It goes to 58° under 2x cpu burn load for an hour it idles around 37°. I use AS5 compound. I tried the cremiquie and it was about the same.
I do have 5 case fans 2 turned low. room temps around 75°f.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
try zipzoomfly.com also sometimes they out do newegg and usually everything they sell comes with free 2 day air , but not sure about other countries.

But I would go with what these guys suggested and if you can get that Zalman 9500 that is going to be one of the best investments you will make , I love mine. :wink: