Question temperature got worse

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
So i have a custom loop and had a very stable temperature all my components where 26 Idle, but when i opened my computer to get under my motherboard i had to take the cpu cooler away, now i have 38 and it jumps too 50 in idle all time never 27 stable, again, i didnt put new thermal paste again tho, should i have put a new thermal paste everytime even if its only 1 days old? Thank you alot.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You should ALWAYS remove the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste every time you remove the cooler. The problem is not age, but how the thermal paste sits between the heatsink and CPU itself.

It is made to be as thin as possible a layer between the two, and any imbalance, impurity or air pockets within that can cause heat traps, therefore degrading heat dissapation between the CPU and the heatsink.

So by not removing the old paste, and simply putting it back on, you have potential shift the thermal paste around so there is no complete even coverage, and also probably created a lot of small air pockets that may be trapping more heat.

I would remove the cooler, remove all of the thermal paste, and reapply new my friend :)

http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F6hNYptX.png

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
You should ALWAYS remove the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste every time you remove the cooler. The problem is not age, but how the thermal paste sits between the heatsink and CPU itself.

It is made to be as thin as possible a layer between the two, and any imbalance, impurity or air pockets within that can cause heat traps, therefore degrading heat dissapation between the CPU and the heatsink.

So by not removing the old paste, and simply putting it back on, you have potential shift the thermal paste around so there is no complete even coverage, and also probably created a lot of small air pockets that may be trapping more heat.

I would remove the cooler, remove all of the thermal paste, and reapply new my friend :)

http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F6hNYptX.png
thanks for the tips i tryed this method, but actually i have the same problem still it jumps from everything between 27 too 55 in a secound im sure something must be crazy in bios

Huehuel

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
What is your CPU ?

Also are you referring to quick leaps to high temperatures then back down? If so, this is perfectly normal.

Im using i7 9700 and im usin ai overclockingf 60% i think this started when i put on Ai overclocking in bios and xmp. Well yeah quick up then quick back down. Well if you say so, thanks alot for your help and information you are just great.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Im using i7 9700 and im usin ai overclockingf 60% i think this started when i put on Ai overclocking in bios and xmp. Well yeah quick up then quick back down. Well if you say so, thanks alot for your help and information you are just great.
Just to show you an excerpt from the Intel temperature guide by Computronix:

Intel’s specification for DTS response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/