Temperature increase problem ?

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I had my Motherboard temperature at 34deg. C and the CPU at 30 deg C at idle. This afternoon, I added a pair of Corsair 2x1024 to the existing OCZ 2x1024. The system started ok and the 4 Gigs was recognized, but I was suprised to see the motherboard temperature at 39 deg !! Why would the addition of another pair of memory drive the temp up this high ? I have removed the Corsair pair.

Motherboard: GA-P35C-DS3R
CPU: Intel E6550

Memory Voltage - 1.95
Timing: 4-4-4-15

Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
Much depends on where the "motherboard" temperature sensor is located. Perhaps the additional DIMMs blocked some airflow to the temperature sensor area. The fact that your "normal" MB temp is 4C higher than the CPU temp even before adding the memory suggests that you need better case airflow (most likely another/bigger exhaust fan). My MB temps are normally within 1-2C of ambient temp (room temp).

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
The temperature sensor is at the Northbridge chipset, which is located below the CPU. I have an Antec P180 case and have tried to set the three fans (one at the back, one at the front intake and a third at the top of the case right above the CPU fan). I tried different speed combinations, but still can`t get the motherboard temp to be lower than 34degrees. The actual CPU core temperature is 3 degrees higher at 33 deg. The room ambient temperature is 22.