[SOLVED] Temperature Issues i7 8700k + Corsair H100i

DylanCamps

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Hey everyone,

I just want to start off by saying I'm extremely new to CPU overclocking and don't really understand cooling too much.

I recently got an Intel i7 8700k paired alongside the AIO Corsair H100i. The base clock for this CPU is 3.7GHz so I wanted to try overclocking being as I've heard this CPU is great for doing that. I've overclocked to 4.6GHz but when stress testing @ 100% load my temps get extremely high, reaching 88 degrees Celsius on some cores from a cold boot. I know these are overclocked temperatures, but I'm just a little confused as I have seen people with the same CPU & AIO combo overclock to 5GHz with lower temps that I'm getting at 4.6GHz.

Screenshot-2.png

Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400C
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070
CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.6GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair TX-M 650W

I've reapplied the thermal paste once already (I'd be willing to give it another go if you think that I could've messed that up). I've also ordered another 2 120mm case fans as currently I only have 1 intake and 1 exhaust in the case in case that may help.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

Solution
I would also call those fairly normal temperatures for 163W with a h100i.

Not sure where you were getting those other overclocking results from, but you never know if they de-lidded, lapped, just happened to get a nice cooler/cpu surface match, or just a very lucky CPU that operates at low voltages.

My 7700k would run at 5Ghz, after delidding, and with a full custom loop, it would still hit 80C (though I was running at 1.4 volts, which is a little above the recommended 1.35 volt daily max.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Not sure where you were getting those other overclocking results from, but you never know if they de-lidded, lapped, just happened to get a nice cooler/cpu surface match, or just a very lucky CPU that operates at low voltages.

My 7700k would run at 5Ghz, after delidding, and with a full custom loop, it would still hit 80C (though I was running at 1.4 volts, which is a little above the recommended 1.35 volt daily max.

Reactions: DylanCamps
Solution

DylanCamps

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014

I got ya, thanks for clearing it up :) Do you think the 2 extra intake fans would help cool temps slightly in the case??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might help a little, but there is only so much you can do with a 240mm radiator and the included fans.

Long as it is staying under 90C it isn't close to throttling. You could always back it down a notch and lower the voltage. Or let the cores boost as individuals again, so that at least your lighter workloads can take advantage of the higher clocks the CPU is capable of.

Reactions: DylanCamps

DylanCamps

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Might help a little, but there is only so much you can do with a 240mm radiator and the included fans.

Long as it is staying under 90C it isn't close to throttling. You could always back it down a notch and lower the voltage. Or let the cores boost as individuals again, so that at least your lighter workloads can take advantage of the higher clocks the CPU is capable of.

No worries, thanks man :)