Question Temperature issues i7-9700F

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
Hello guys,

I've upgraded from i5-8400 to i7-9700F. Now I'm having pretty high temperatures, when with the 8400 never experienced this (which was running everytime below 70ºC)

9700k is rising to 95ºC (stock values) , CPU fans are like at 100% load, which is really really weird and I'm just playing Kingdom Come Deliverance... I don't know what would happen if I will do a stress test.

My rig is next:

MSI B360 Gaming Plus
I7-9700F (brand new)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C8G4D240FSE 8gb*2 (2666mhz)
Aurous 3060Ti Master
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W

My case Corsair C70 has very good airflow, also now the ambient temperatures are like 20-23ºC. As I live in Spain I don't know what will happen in the summer, becuase temperatures will rise to 28-30Cº..... It's not the 1st time I'm changing a CPU, so I'm pretty sure have applied correctly the thermal paste (arctic MX-4).

Now I'm really affraid, becuase if it's like this now... what will happen in the summer? Just check here CPUid.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
-Bad mount
-Pump is dead
-Pump is not receiving power

It's one of those, or 2/3. Take your time with it.

-Bad mount -> really doubt it, not 1st time I'm mouting this cpu cooler... but well, I will have to inspect that anyway, so I can discard it.
-Pump is dead -> I would notice that, becuase if pump is dead temperatures would rise way higher even without load.
-Pump is not receiving power -> I think it is, because when I'm changing the speed of pump I can hear it works "faster" and water temperatures going a little bit down. pump

Btw, I adjusted some values via XTU and it is not heating that much now, but perfomaces is lower.... Myabe its a problem of voltage, mybe it's too high? it gets to 1,376v with default preset.

Default XTU preset vs. Custom XTU preset

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Then 'nothing is actually wrong', per se.
Sorry, but I covered the most likely causes of the high thermals you're seeing with those 3 points. There's 2 others, but what you describe doesn't fit them:
-faulty sensors, but I would expect to see some 'crazy numbers'. I don't see anything implying that.
-didn't put thermal paste. Some paste - even a big ol' blob - is better than no paste.

A 280mm hybrid should have no trouble with a non-K 9700.
I'm still not convinced it's not either the mount or the pump itself - did you physically check that the liquid is flowing through the unit correctly?

Did you buy the 9700F 2nd hand?

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
Yes, I'm also suprised when an h115i can't deal with 9700F...

About the pump I'm pretty sure it's working as intended, when I'm setting it to more speed temperatures are going down, but idk, maybe it's not enough? How do I check if the flow is correct? It's a loop system, there is no way to check as far as I know.

Also when I was using 8400 everything was fine with it and I doubt that when I change it, I have broken something....

and yes, it is a brand new 9700F bought in a good store.

A 280mm hybrid should have no trouble with a non-K 9700.
I'm still not convinced it's not either the mount or the pump itself - did you physically check that the liquid is flowing through the unit correctly?
I agree 100% with this. I would re-mount the heatsink/pump to the CPU, just to eliminate it as being the culprit. Make sure to clean the CPU and heatsink and reapply the thermal grease. Also, while you're doing this, make sure the standoffs for the heatsink/pump are fully screwed into the backplate..

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

At the end fixed it by cleaning the radiator with soap and water + re-applied thermal paste (but this wasn't the problem anyway).

Now the temperatures are more than acceptable, even with stock CPU values. Water temperature went from 41,5°C (playing kcd) to 34,5°C... and CPU temperatures are not rising more than 70°C while fan mode is on quite... at full CPU load!

The summary is - keep clean your AIO radiator -

Thanks for the replies!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Really... that's one of the basics of cooling.

Clean your hardware like 2-3 times a year and you're golden. Even once a year is still better than skipping one.

Well, you figured it out without having to spend lots of money, so it's fine I guess.