Question Temperature issues with 5900x ?

May 30, 2021
Hi all, i'm new here and having an issue with my PC which i highly suspect is overheating, but i can't exactly pinpoint what the issues is or how to solve it.
For a background i live in a humid country and do alot of 3d work and game on the side. I recently sent my PC for upgrading, and was told that my system was working fine when they stress-tested.
PC ran fine when i was using it, but i did notice the fan was working alot harder and there was a lot more heat coming off the case. I didn't think much of it as i thought of it as a consequence of a higher power PC.

The first red flag came 3 days later when i was running UE4 alongside OBS for some real-time simulation work. Halfway while recording the whole system abruptly shut down. I tried booting it up, but once i went past the login screen it suddenly shut itself down again.
I gave it 15 mins and turned it on again and everything was fine. I was alarmed but i had my PC shut down due to a loose connection with my power outlet before, and i thought that was it, just made sure the outlet connection was fine.

The biggest thing came yesterday when i was playing a game (Last Epoch if it matters) and my PC shut itself down again. My lights were connected to the same power outlet and it turned off, so i thought it was a loose connection again.
I tried turning the pc on again, and this time round the same thing happened- it went past the login screen and shut itself down. Strangely my lights did not turn off this time round, which made me highly suspicious that its a heat issue.
Using HWInfo, NZXT Cam i found out my CPU was by default overclocking and running around 4600mhz+, and was hitting a peak of 80-95+C on high workloads. I went to research and turned off the Core Performance Boost
in BIOS and the temperatures came down to a more acceptable 75-80C under high workloads, and around 55C on idle loads.
My GPU seems fine- it was hitting 70-78C on high workloads. They are much lower than before but still on the high side which got me worried.

I tried to play Last Epoch to test things out and the CPU will hit 70C+ and keeps on creeping up. Same thing happened again- it suddenly shut itself down abruptly, even after turning off the auto-overclocking in the BIOs.
The strangest thing is my PC will run fine before it abruptly shuts down- no throttling, no weird sounds or crazy temps. Just straight up shut down, which got me wondering if it is really an overheating issue.

My specs are:
Case: Fractal Define R6 with 3x Dynamic X2 GP-14 stock fans
Motherboard: MAG X570 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x (with stock Wraith cooler from my previous 2700x)
GPU: Palit Gamerock RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RM170 80Plus Gold

After reading around i've begun to think it is something to do with my CPU and my stock cooler. I know enough about PCs due to my work but i will say i'm quite noob at these things, so if someone could help, what could possibly be the problem with my PC?
Should i replace my CPU cooler or install more Case Fans? (currently 2 front and 1 back). Or is the problem a whole other thing with another solution involved? Thanks in advance!

I have a 5900x myself (using it right now) with a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler, no overheating issues. Didn't overclock it. Only getting 50C while gaming and around 35C on idle.
I recently sent my PC for upgrading, and was told that my system was working fine when they stress-tested.

When you buy the 5900x, you will notice that AMD does not provide a stock cooler with it (You won't notice this minute detail if you bought your PC as a prebuilt/package or have someone "upgrade" it for you). It means that you need to get a third party cooler because their stock cooler cannot sufficiently cool the CPU. Since this is a high-end CPU, you will need an appropriate cooler to cool it down. To determine if CPU cooler X will be able to sufficiently cool 5900x, simply check if the cooler's product description mentions that it is compatible with/is meant to cool the 5900x.

You can either go with the water cooling AIO route or use a third party CPU air heatsink like I did to cool your CPU sufficiently.

Other than the stock wraith cooler being generally inefficient to cool the 5900x, if the issue is still present after changing CPU Coolers:

Did you request them to overclock your CPU? If so, you can reset your BIOS to default factory settings to see if it fixes the issue

Last edited:
May 30, 2021
Thank you guys for the answers!
I have a 5900x myself (using it right now) with a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler, no overheating issues. Didn't overclock it. Only getting 50C while gaming and around 35C on idle.
My idle temp is your gaming temp- this makes it stupidly clear my cooler is frankly inadequate for the job:coldsweat:

I did not request them to overclock so it came as a shock that it my pc was running so high by default. I've turned off the boosting and managed to get it to its default clock speed.
At this stage im thinking of getting an air/liquid cooler and installing them myself, as im quite annoyed by how the PC company did not point out the system's weakness if it was so abundantly clear,
and they had several issues (delayed upgrade for 4 months, had to chase them for invoices and schedules) which makes me very unlikely to patronize them again.

The Noctua NH-D15 and Corsair Hydro H115i are fairly similar in price point in my country, are there any reason to get one over the other?

If you intend to Overclock then AIO water cooling is the way to go.
Should you not want to Overclock then the Noctua is a good solution.

I personally do not use AIR coolers due to the weight strain on the Motherboard and they look ugly IMO.

Water cooling v Air

Air cooling or water cooling? The answer depends on your particular usage needs.

The key to cooling is to get the heat away from the CPU core the faster the better (and not allow its return).

Pros for water cooling.

The advantages of water cooling over air cooling include water's higher specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity.

Water is better because it can absorb way more heat than air can, since it's denser. It's as simple as that really.

Water coolers can be set up in many different ways so the performance can be drastically different using the same hardware
depending where the hardware is placed.

The cooler and faster the air flows over the radiator/heatsink fins, the better it will perform.

A well setup water cooler with an external radiator can far exceed the performance of an air cooler that fits within the confines of a PC case.

Water Cooling is quieter, much more efficient, and offers greater headroom for overclocking.

Less weight, better looking and quieter during general purpose use.

I'll be looking to go for Air coolers for now due to their overall reliability
This is the reason why I also went for air coolers.
I value functionality, longevity and reliability more than aesthetics.

Cons of water cooling

Not to mention, water cooling AIO has multiple failure points too, leaks is most likely to occur in each of its fittings. Even if the failure rate is minutely small, the chance is still there for it to happen and when it does, then pop goes the magic smoke.

On the other hand, there is no need for leaking to worry with air coolers. Fire and forget solution all the way. Cooling is dependent upon how efficient your over all air flow inside the case.

Also for every component that you want to water cool, you're gonna setup a loop for it.
Water cool GPU? setup a loop for it.
Water cool NVMe SSD? setup a loop for it.
At that point, its already a custom water loop which also requires maintenance on your part.
And you also need to decontaminate the liquid using chemicals too.

And even if the cooler weighs like a ton, it will never be an issue. The CPU Backplate is there for exactly this purpose, so no need to worry about your megaton CPU air cooler falling off. It handles all of the stress given by the weight of the cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And even if the cooler weighs like a ton, it will never be an issue. The CPU Backplate is there for exactly this purpose, so no need to worry about your megaton CPU air cooler falling off. It handles all of the stress given by the weight of the cooler.
The whole heavy air cooler thing warping motherboards was debunked some years ago. The backplate, and mobo standoffs support the weight across a large area of the board and the chassis itself.
You know what's a bigger threat to warping motherboards? Gpus, especially those massive 3 slot cards.

The Noctua NH-D15 and Corsair Hydro H115i are fairly similar in price point in my country, are there any reason to get one over the other?
Besides the obvious pros and cons, the H115i would net you slightly lower idle thermals.

Something else that may aid you - it's an idea that not everyone is fond of though, usually for aesthetic reasons...
If opting for the NH-D15 or D15S, and you want to prioritize cpu thermals, do not install any fans at the top - that mainly benefits the gpu.

May 30, 2021
That hefty piece of equipment hanging over the mobo does look scary, glad to know they had it all factored in.
Something else that may aid you - it's an idea that not everyone is fond of though, usually for aesthetic reasons...
If opting for the NH-D15 or D15S, and you want to prioritize cpu thermals, do not install any fans at the top - that mainly benefits the gpu.
When you mean this are you referring to case fans at the top of the case? Any reason that does not benefit the GPU?
I am most likely getting the Dark Rock Pro 4 now after seeing that the D15 will run into clearance issues with my ram.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When you mean this are you referring to case fans at the top of the case? Any reason that does not benefit the GPU?
1)Yes.
2)I did not say top fans didn't benefit the gpu - quite the opposite.
Top chassis fans - usually installed as exhaust - benefit the typical air cooled gpu coolers that dump their heat inside your chassis, because it helps to get the gpu's heat out quicker, but having those fans up there works against cpu tower coolers.
Tower air coolers draw air from both the front and top of the chassis... but fans installed up top disrupt that and reduce cooling efficiency.

Just a thought though, speaking of aesthetics.
I think you can replace the fan on the heatsink of the Noctua NH-D15 with an RGB fan, and then just transfer the metal latch onto the fan?
Since the fan on the Noctua NH-D15 clips onto the aluminum heat sink.
This way, if for some reason your fan breaks down (highly unlikely, Noctua fans are durable) or you want an RGB fan, you can swap fans on the cpu air cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just a thought though, speaking of aesthetics.
I think you can replace the fan on the heatsink of the Noctua NH-D15 with an RGB fan, and then just transfer the metal latch onto the fan?
Since the fan on the Noctua NH-D15 clips onto the aluminum heat sink.
This way, if for some reason your fan breaks down (highly unlikely, Noctua fans are durable) or you want an RGB fan, you can swap fans on the cpu air cooler.
Yes, you can certainly do that, but it has to be a 120mm; the NF-A15 fans and clips use the 120mm spacing.
On the matter of aesthetics, I was referring to leaving the top of the chassis empty.
When I told Alexakitty to remove the 120mm Silent Wings 3 fan in the rear of her Pure Base 500DX because the NF-A15 on her D15 was more powerful and exhaust would be slightly more effective without the 120mm...
She didn't care for the idea because it wouldn't look as good. ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
Reactions: avg9956