CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz
GPU - Msi GTX 1080ti Gaming x Trio
RAM - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3
MOTHERBOARD - Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark I
CPU COOLING - WaterColler Water 2.0
PSU- Ts XfX 750w Bronze 80
STORAGE - 1 T + 1TB HDD RAID0 + SSD 240GB CRUCIAL
Fans - 6 Generic Fans

Recently i bought a new MSi 1080ti Gaming X Trio for my build, however not only im getting more of the same performance compared to my last graphics card (CPU bottleneck) my temperatures almost doubled (compared to old graphics card).

Playing on 1080p lowest setting with the new graphics card gets a reading reaching a constant 90 degrees (MSi afterburner) with the fans all on 100% (i particulary dont care for loud fans so when im gaming i always crank them to 100).

My old graphics card a 980ti FE reached at most 85 degrees under heavy load (1080p ultra settings) on the same setup, same computer case, same room, same fan speed (100%), and same room temperature (35 degrees) - thats normal for brazil lol

Ive aready checked for falty fans, and all of them are working fine.

My theory is that because of a CPU bottleneck im having, (since my 4670k isn't handling very well my new Graphics card, 100% usage on all cores) some of the cpu load is getting to the graphics card, can guys guys confirm that?

some photos of the pc:
View: https://imgur.com/a/mvI1pJ0

ingame MSi temperature:
View: https://imgur.com/a/thwn2ZD

Solution
Oh geez.

If opening it up and applying paste is too much of a risk, you may as well try to return it, because you can't continue to use it and expect it to last very long.

I purchased a sold as new "open box" GPU on Amazon. The fan was making weird noises, so I contacted the seller who assured me it was brand new. I found out with the manufacturer that the GPU have been registered and RMAed 2 years prior.
Dang, talk about feeding you some fluff...

ive contacted the seller and he implied that the gpu has over 3 years of use im very pissed right now for real
There ya go. The paste is likely dried up then.

What do you want to do? Try to get your money back or try to fix it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How is 90C twice that of 85C?
What is the chassis? I can't tell what it is from the side image.

For now, my suspicions are:
-Lack of airflow, though you say there are six fans in there...
-The 1080Ti is over 3 years old. Maybe the paste dried up? Speaking of that, where did you get this card from? A 'brand new one' would be really expensive.

Dec 8, 2020
How is 90C twice that of 85C?
What is the chassis? I can't tell what it is from the side image.

For now, my suspicions are:
-Lack of airflow, though you say there are six fans in there...
-The 1080Ti is over 3 years old. Maybe the paste dried up? Speaking of that, where did you get this card from? A 'brand new one' would be really expensive.

My old 980ti was reached upmost 85 degrees, under normal gaming, it could reach 85, normaly it would stay on 60 to 70 degrees.

The 1080ti is new (atleast that what the vendor says), i bought for 3200BRL(translates to 613 dollars) also it came with the original box, all the manuals (including disk drive), the gpu was on a plastic bag. The box in it self wasnt sealed (i was aware of that when i bought it tho).

I too think it can be a airflow problem considering that my room is somewhat tiny, however if airflow what the problem how can my old gpu never get a 90c reading considering i just changed the gpu.
another thing, playing a lower resolution on the 1080ti such as 1080 (res scale 50%, even 70% scale) the gpu settles on a very good 60- 70 degrees, that where my theory that i mentioned in the post comes.

About the fans, indeed that are 6 fans
Photos here: View: https://imgur.com/a/XrM9v3k

2 on the from does Air Intake, 2 on the upper part on the case(exiles air), 1 in front of the MB (intakes) , and one in the back (exiles), (this fan is from the cpu coller though).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 1080ti is new (atleast that what the vendor says), i bought for 3200BRL(translates to 613 dollars) also it came with the original box, all the manuals (including disk drive), the gpu was on a plastic bag. The box in it self wasnt sealed (i was aware of that when i bought it tho).
OUCH.
You paid almost the original msrp for that thing - from over 3 years ago!
OUCH.

I was able to figure out what your chassis is: Corsair 500R.
It should be adequate for airflow...

WAIT A DARN MINUTE HERE...
Image #4: That fan is positioned BACKWARDS. Flip it around. Right now, that fan and the other fan on the radiator, are pushing against each other.
Also, double check all your other fans. For reference:
iu
The side fan looks ok. I can't tell how you have the front fans positioned or the top fans.

Reactions: DookNookPanic
Dec 8, 2020
OUCH.
You paid almost the original msrp for that thing - from over 3 years ago!
OUCH.

I was able to figure out what your chassis is: Corsair 500R.
It should be adequate for airflow...

WAIT A DARN MINUTE HERE...
Image #4: That fan is positioned BACKWARDS. Flip it around. Right now, that fan and the other fan on the radiator, are pushing against each other.
Also, double check all your other fans. For reference:
iu
The side fan looks ok. I can't tell how you have the front fans positioned or the top fans.

Nice catch!

I Will be flipping the fans like you asked right now

And since im here i took better picutures of all the fans here:
(Unfortunatly i dont know how to remove the grid from the front, but i assure you there are 2 fans there lol)

View: https://imgur.com/a/OlGgxEp

About the price that i payed on the 1080ti i can say that here in brazil this is a good price normally a brand new 1080ti usually goes by 4.000-6.000 BRL (equals to 700 to 800 dollars) so even tho i almost payed MSRP it still was a worthy investiment.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
(Unfortunatly i dont know how to remove the grid from the front, but i assure you there are 2 fans there lol)
An alternative would be to slide out one of the HDD cages. You should be able to see if they're positioned correctly then.

About the price that i payed on the 1080ti i can say that here in brazil this is a good price normally a brand new 1080ti usually goes by 4.000-6.000 BRL (equals to 700 to 800 dollars) so even tho i almost payed MSRP it still was a worthy investiment.
Wow... that's, umm...
Ok, it is what it is.

Reactions: DookNookPanic

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
i can say that here in brazil this is a good price normally a brand new 1080ti usually goes by 4.000-6.000 BRL (equals to 700 to 800 dollars) so even tho i almost payed MSRP it still was a worthy investiment.

an RTX 3080 is 700$:

that's the 3rd strongest card on the planet. I watched Jensen Huang's introduction of 3090. there were so many beeps. people were saying oh holy %#@ in the official nVidia keynote. Jensen took it out of his kitchen's oven.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I found some 1080Ti , average price is 3000yuan, that's 450$
but 90% used. not new.

that's still higher than 3060Ti. so hmmm

the magenta lines at the bottom, are new cards 全新

O1CN01JMnl8C1F6e7I1SqoI_!!378530438.jpg

Dec 8, 2020
An alternative would be to slide out one of the HDD cages. You should be able to see if they're positioned correctly then.

Wow... that's, umm...
Ok, it is what it is.
Hey phazze i found a way to remove the front of the case, and i got a great photo of the 2 front fans
Booth of them shows the arrom pointing into the case and up the case so i think they are in the correct possitions

View: https://imgur.com/a/SX2Ez5U

They are in the correct position but the drive cages and dust are preventing air flow.
With time fans could be moving less air and become even louder.
By the way, I have seen many GPUs sold as new and they were used for years. Anyone could keep the original packaging...I do.

Dec 8, 2020
No... that's gotta be card. 90C is the thermal throttle limit for that card.
If it sits at that temp long enough, it'll shut off the PC on you.

How familiar are you with opening up or taking apart gpus? The only other possibilities I see are:
-dead fans
-dried up paste

You know what? Remove the gpu support brace below and check thermals again.

GPU fans working:
View: https://youtu.be/j5Br6W8rofM

its a very short video but it shows that all the 3 fans are in fact moving at top speed and synced so i dont think its dead fans.

about opening gpus i never ever tried and im very scared of trying to open them, since its a very expensive product ( i didnt even finished paying it lmao) (aditionally i dont have a torx screwdriver).

Dec 8, 2020
No... that's gotta be card. 90C is the thermal throttle limit for that card.
If it sits at that temp long enough, it'll shut off the PC on you.

How familiar are you with opening up or taking apart gpus? The only other possibilities I see are:
-dead fans
-dried up paste

You know what? Remove the gpu support brace below and check thermals again.

ive removed the protective bracket adn checked on thermals here are the results:
View: https://imgur.com/a/24TH1HO

spoiler it didnt help a t all lmao

Dec 8, 2020
They are in the correct position but the drive cages and dust are preventing air flow.
With time fans could be moving less air and become even louder.
By the way, I have seen many GPUs sold as new and they were used for years. Anyone could keep the original packaging...I do.
yeah i guess i could ask the seller if it is indeed a new graphics card.

Dec 8, 2020
Good luck getting an honest answer.
I purchased a sold as new "open box" GPU on Amazon. The fan was making weird noises, so I contacted the seller who assured me it was brand new. I found out with the manufacturer that the GPU have been registered and RMAed 2 years prior.
ive contacted the seller and he implied that the gpu has over 3 years of use im very pissed right now for real

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh geez.

If opening it up and applying paste is too much of a risk, you may as well try to return it, because you can't continue to use it and expect it to last very long.

Solution
Dec 8, 2020
Oh geez.

i will try to get my money back because i was scammed, i bought a 1080ti "Zero Bala" which is a slang for ''Brand New" and i didnt recivied a ''zero bala'' product!

Reactions: jojesa and Phaaze88