m4v3r1ck

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I am trying to keep an eye on the temp of my hardware, specifically my cpu and gpu. I have ATI Tool that is supposedly giving me my temp of my cpu. I notice that when I play some games that the cpu temperature can get to 65 degrees. I did some looking around on the internet and found a site that said this is over my max temperature for this cpu. It is a core2 6300. Are there better programs for monitoring temperature of GPU and CPU and is my temp too hot during games? To be on the safe side, when running the computer, I have the side of it off with a small house fan blowing on the cpu (not sure if this helps all that much).

Thanks

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
ATI Tool is for the GPU! Get Coretemp for the CPU.

!snicker!

And yes, the side house fan is a good idea. Your CPU should load at no more than 60C using Orthos (another good proggy). If it does, you CPU HS or how you mounted it needs work.

Serj

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I'm actually getting some huge disparities between Core Temp and gigabyte-provided Easy Tune 5 with my wolfdale. the disparity is a full 10-12C HOTTER reading in Core Temp. is this accurate? or is there an issue with CT + wolfdale? I want to OC, which ET5 says i should be fine, but based on Core Temp's readings during Prime95 torture testing, there's just no way, as it butts right up against 60C. Anyone have any info? should i trust ET5? if i trusted CT, I obviously would be safe, but 58C on a full-load Wolfdale sounds Ludicrous!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Easy Tune or ANY mobo supplied cooling monitor is always suspect. Coretemp measures what the actual chip is reporting, not some odd uncalibrated junk. Trust CoreTemp. Also, what HS is on your CPU? Is it stock? If so your kinda limited on the OC due to temps. 58C running Orthos (both cores at 100?) isn't great, but with a stock cooler is okay. Higher than 60C is not good for long term use.

Serj

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Well, it is my understanding that the wolfdales have a different type of thermal diodes(or orientation?) and that this may be leading to erroneous readouts in thermal utilities. I originally had the stock HSF on but I grabbed up an older D-series HSF from an intel box (copper core, taller fin array) and especially at idle, I don't think it'll get much cooler than 24C via ET5(it's actually colder than what is reported on the sytem temp) this sink is cooler to the touch than the sink on my NB. I'm not trying for any extremes, but a little bump to really see this chip perform would be nice.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Or you can use speedfan. :lol:

I like Core Temp because it is small, easy to use, and they seem to keep up with the Tjunction max of the new CPUs better. But the last part is just a feeling, no real back up.

m4v3r1ck

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I downloaded core temp and ran it. With my side off and house fan running on cpu as well as the 2 80mm fans that I have running inside the case, my temp is running around 59-60 when browsing web and encoding for example. If I run Orthos, my cpu temp rose to 66 after 3 mins or so of testing it. Should I be concerned with these temperatures? I am running an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a Core 2 Duo E6300 and a eGeForce 7900GS with 2gb of OCZ PC5400.

Thanks

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Wait a second did you say "my temp is running around 59-60 when browsing web and encoding for example."? Usually you don't say browsing and encoding. One denotes low CPU load and the other high CPU load. What is the CPU load? What are temps at idle?

Try running Prime95 25.6 and watching Core Temp and post the results.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might wanna check your pins on the HS. Those temps should be lower, especially if your running it stock speeds.

My E4400 is OC @ 3ghz, and I'm constantly folding. My Core Temps are 57/58C. My idles are around 38-42C, with a room temp of 78-80F.

Edit:

Though I am using a Tuniq HS. :oops: