Question Temperature of i7-14700 during gaming ?

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I'm asking about this because for some reason internet search engines refuse to accept that the 14700 is something I'd want to know about as opposed to the 14700K.

I'm trying to set up my fan speeds to keep the CPU at a reasonable temperature.

How cool should I be attempting to keep the 14700? I know its max temperature is 100 centigrade.

14700 is a 65w processor.
It comes with a decent laminar flow cooler.
Do not worry about temperatures, particularly for gaming.
Gaming will not fully load many cores.
The chip is designed to run at 100c.
If it detects any dangerous temperature it will just slow down a bit until the situation resolves.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's simply because the K version came out first. That's why you see almost nothing on non-K, even though they're the higher quality chips.

Ryzen, Geforce, Radeon, and Arc: Temperature is one of the factors that boost clocks scale with.
Core i doesn't care at all - at least until TJ Max. As far as Intel would be concerned, it's either operating in spec, or it's not. To heck with personal feelings.

If operation is below 100C, it's fine. Others will specify lower numbers, but you don't hear confirmation of those suggestions from the mouth of the one who made the chips. You're overthinking it, but if you are somehow seeing close to 100C core temperatures in a game, something is seriously wrong, be it:
-cooler install.
-fan arrangement.
-malware or other loading up all the cores.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I'm asking about this because for some reason internet search engines refuse to accept that the 14700 is something I'd want to know about as opposed to the 14700K.

I'm trying to set up my fan speeds to keep the CPU at a reasonable temperature.

How cool should I be attempting to keep the 14700? I know its max temperature is 100 centigrade.
Define reasonable?

Usually "reasonable" means 10-30C above ambient temperature when idle or under moderate load, and around 80-90C when stressed.
Size of the cooler and it's overall quality determines just how cool the CPU can run, and how noisy the cooler fans will become.

If the CPU overheats, it will automatically slow down in order to keep under 100. Unless you have a bad cooler, and live in a very hot place, you will probably never have to worry about your CPU temperature or performance.

What are the temperatures you are experiencing, and what are you hoping to achieve, temperature-wise?

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I'm in the UK so local temperature is typically going to be in the 20s.

The cooler is a Frost Spirit V3 140mm

Right now I tend to get mid 30s non-under load CPU temperature and something like mid 50s load temperature but I haven't checked the load temperature after my last fan curve adjustment.

As for hoping to achieve, whatever gives the CPU a reasonable lifespan and if possible helps performance by encouraging it to be able to boost more often. If it works like that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Right now I tend to get mid 30s non-under load CPU temperature and something like mid 50s load temperature but I haven't checked the load temperature after my last fan curve adjustment.

As for hoping to achieve, whatever gives the CPU a reasonable lifespan and if possible helps performance by encouraging it to be able to boost more often. If it works like that.
The cpu will become technologically obsolete first with results like that.
The current sets of Intel Core i will give max performance regardless of operating temperature - excluding TJMax, of course; one running at 90C performs the same as one running at 70C. That's not the case for Ryzen, Geforce, Radeon, and Arc.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024

Temperatures are perfect.
The cost is not temperature alone, but also stability and power usage. CPU degradation too but it seems negligible.

There is very little overclocking headroom in this generation. The CPU is going to do a very good job on it's own, and pushing it harder and harder yields next to nothing in extra pefrormance, although it does waste a lot of power.

This article is about the problem of motherboard manufacturers auto-overclocking to insane degrees, and not specifically about overclocking and efficiency but it does illustrate just how little there is to gain and how much it affects power use.

If you're looking at ways of pushing your CPU closer to the limit in order to extract more performance out of it, i'd say you're wasting your time.
Even if you had the unlocked variant of the 14700 and removed it's limits, you wouldn't get much extra.

Your 14700 will boost as often as it can anyway. And it's agruably the ideal CPU of the 12/13/14 gen series. There's nothing to improve :)

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024

A very good cooler.

Hopefully, your case can feed it sufficient fresh air to work with.
As to longevity, your processor should be long obsolete before it wears out.
What can damage a processor is not heat but excessive voltage from deliberate overclocking.

Not to worry.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
If you wanna boost gaming performance you tune your ram, overclocking the cpu is a waste of time. Turn off HT, bump the cache frequency and tune the ram. You can get an extra 15-20% more gaming performance while consuming half the power.

Examples

Stock + XMP

HT OFF + Tuned ram

After undervolting on top of everything power draw dropped to 95w.

What do you mean by "tuning" the ram, exactly? I'm using the XMP profile and running it at 6400 Mhz/1.4V.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
If you're looking at ways of pushing your CPU closer to the limit in order to extract more performance out of it, i'd say you're wasting your time.
Even if you had the unlocked variant of the 14700 and removed it's limits, you wouldn't get much extra.

Your 14700 will boost as often as it can anyway. And it's agruably the ideal CPU of the 12/13/14 gen series. There's nothing to improve :)

I was just thinking that the boost might be based off temperature therefore by keeping it cooler it might boost more of the time. Is that now how it works these days?

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I was just thinking that the boost might be based off temperature therefore by keeping it cooler it might boost more of the time. Is that now how it works these days?
Possibly, but it would have to heat up to 95-100C where it will throttle down. A better cooler would let it work harder before it hit max temperature and throttled down. But do you know for sure you will ever see your CPU working that hard?

I think a reasonable and realistic temperature under stress is 80-90C depending on ambient temps and cooler, and the workload. If it's lower, it means the CPU has less work to do and has no reason to work harder.

I don't think you should be targeting a temperature. Look at performance instead. Is it satisfactory?
No CPU can boost indefinetly, and it's normal for 12/13/14 gen to spike up in temperature and cool off quickly.

IF the CPU boosts, overheats and hits a wall, then you have a problem.

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Ah, don't know how to help with 64gb of ram. You can try setting trefi to 65535, you can probably also run them at 7000-32-40-40-28 at 1.435v, but that's assuming your mobo can run 7000mhz ram.

Hmm.

PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI
  • Supports Intel® Core™ Next-gen / 13th Gen / 12th Gen, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® processors for LGA 1700 socket
  • Supports DDR5 Memory, Dual Channel DDR5 7800+MHz (OC)
SUPPOSEDLY it can run faster than 7000 Mhz. Not sure if I want to mess around with that though. Maybe a job for later if the system starts struggling. Right now it's lightning fast.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Hmm.

PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI
  • Supports Intel® Core™ Next-gen / 13th Gen / 12th Gen, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® processors for LGA 1700 socket
  • Supports DDR5 Memory, Dual Channel DDR5 7800+MHz (OC)
SUPPOSEDLY it can run faster than 7000 Mhz. Not sure if I want to mess around with that though. Maybe a job for later if the system starts struggling. Right now it's lightning fast.
Yeah, it can do 7200-7400 mhz. Have tested the pro A. Not sure about 64gb though, my tests were always with 2x16gb ram

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
14700 is a 65w processor.
It comes with a decent laminar flow cooler.
Do not worry about temperatures, particularly for gaming.
Gaming will not fully load many cores.
The chip is designed to run at 100c.
If it detects any dangerous temperature it will just slow down a bit until the situation resolves.

OK now I'm curious. I saw an option in my bios that sets wattage limits based on the CPU cooler you tell it is installed. So you choose between stock cooler, tower cooler, and liquid cooling. I believe the numbers I saw listed were 65W for stock cooler, 200-something for tower cooler, and 4096 watts for the liquid cooling (what!?).

You say the 14700 is a 65w processor. Does that mean this is the max power draw? Would there be any point in changing that option to the tower cooler mode?

dennisresevfan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Never mind I just found this:
The Core i7-14700 has a base TDP (PL1) of 65 watts and a max turbo TDP (PL2) of 219 watts.

This TDP means that the Core i7-14700 CPU will consume a maximum of 65 watts of power (PL1) at its E-core base frequency of 1.50 GHz and P-core base frequency of 2.10 GHz. The 14700 can reach 219 watts (PL2) when reaching the 5.30 GHz max turbo frequency.

The TDP of the Core i7-14700 processor can also be defined as PL1, which is the effective long-term expected steady-state power consumption of a processor. PL2 is a processor's short-term maximum power draw when the CPU runs at its maximum short-term speed (max turbo frequency).

Intel CPU specifications indicate this power dissipation number as "Processor Base Power" and "Maximum Turbo Power."

I'm confused because the turbo boost is activating most of the time therefore presumably it must be drawing over 200 watts. So is that bios setting doing nothing?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't draw 200 watts just because it is turboing, it also matters how much processing it is doing. You should only see 200W+ for a short time when you are doing something very intensive like a benchmark, render job, multithreaded decompression, video encoding, and the like.

A single core can turbo and only use say 40W, a couple of cores while gaming might keep it higher.

Install something like HW 64 or CPU-Z and monitor the CPU power usage.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Ah. In that case, a related question... Can the CPU ever draw too many watts? I assume that other than overheating this isn't a thing?

As opposed to forcing too many volts through it.
You can install and run HWMonitor to see exactly how much power the CPU draws at any time, as well as min and max values.

The 4096 setting is basically unlimited. This has nothing to do with water cooling it's just how they named it in BIOS.
With this setting the CPU is free to draw as much as it needs or wants, only stopped by it's temperature.

Which answers your question. The CPU heats up as it draws watts. If it hits a max safe temperature, it automatically reduces power usage which also lowers performance.
With a powerfull cooler, the CPU can waste more power trying to eke out more performance. But performance increases aren't worth the extra power used most of the time.
You can read more about the details in this article: https://www.igorslab.de/en/extensiv...es-baseline-performance-extreme-and-insane/7/

A couple of other things:
- a great tower cooler will do better than a bad AIO water cooler.
- the CPU only needs to use enough power to finish it's tasks; having extra capacity isn't neccessary most of the time.

So, no the CPU can't drawn too many watts and damage itself. But yes, it can draw too many watts and damage your wallet.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Never mind I just found this:
The Core i7-14700 has a base TDP (PL1) of 65 watts and a max turbo TDP (PL2) of 219 watts.

This TDP means that the Core i7-14700 CPU will consume a maximum of 65 watts of power (PL1) at its E-core base frequency of 1.50 GHz and P-core base frequency of 2.10 GHz. The 14700 can reach 219 watts (PL2) when reaching the 5.30 GHz max turbo frequency.

The TDP of the Core i7-14700 processor can also be defined as PL1, which is the effective long-term expected steady-state power consumption of a processor. PL2 is a processor's short-term maximum power draw when the CPU runs at its maximum short-term speed (max turbo frequency).

Intel CPU specifications indicate this power dissipation number as "Processor Base Power" and "Maximum Turbo Power."

I'm confused because the turbo boost is activating most of the time therefore presumably it must be drawing over 200 watts. So is that bios setting doing nothing?
That's not how it works at all. Base clocks have nothing to do with TDP. Well - they do, but just because it's drawing 65w doesn't mean it's running at base clocks. I'm pretty sure even at 65w in most MT workloads it will be over 3ghz. Also boosting to 5.3 ghz doesn't mean it draws 219 watts either.