Question Temperature on external WD & USB fan

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I have a question... I have several (6) external WD hdds that I use for my backups, some are new (3 4tb ones) and some are old (3 elements SE 2tb). I dont use them often (few times a month, the old ones are 6-7 years old and still work fine), but since they are usb 2.0, when I do backups it does take some time. My concern is that they start with a temperature of 25-26C, then after about 80gb of written data they can reach 45-46C, at which point i turn them off.
Now, Ive read some studies (like the blackblaze one) that under 40C the temperature doesnt affect the life of a hdd, but ive never understood if such temperatures are norma for external hds. My internal ones barely go over 40 even under stress (of course they have 2 internal fans), and while I do turn them off after about an hour of backup when they reach 45-46C, i know some people keep them up for longer time... is it actually fine to have such high temperatures? Any of you have external hds and can tell me what temperature they reach after an hour of writing data?
I also am wondering... do you think an usb fan would help? Im thinking to buy one and point it to the hdd when I do my backups... but since external hds have a case I dont know if a fan would actually help to lower the temperature... anyone tried?
Thanks a lot!

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
External HDD's are just in enclosure with PCB that provides the voltage for them, depending on if they are 2.5" or 3.5".
MY WD Blue which im running it over 6 years (30K hours of work) did not have any issues whatsoever, yet, typicall temp under 50*C.

Your WD blue is external? After few hours of copying files, whats the temperature usually? Thanks!