Temperature problems. i5 750 at 3.8GHz & Noctua D14

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Ov39b.jpg
Lw6b1.jpg

The OC I have is an autotune one, probably something here that should be done better. :)

Idle/Light use:
SE2nh.jpg

One minute of Prime95
Mbiss.jpg

One minute of OCCT:Linpack
UfR8l.jpg

I see others with same clock speeds and a D14 that barely go over 70C under 100% load for hours.
I would say that the airflow in my 550D is quite good, as I've got four 140mm Noctua fans, and three 120mm noctua fans, all running at about 60%-70%. (Just before where thay start to make a tad too much noise). Beefing the CPU fans up to 100% doesn't seem to do anything.

A pic:
tWEJxh.jpg

Fan cables are tricky to hide! And I just realized that the fan in the door have been mounted the wrong way for two months... :??:

I know that the cooler is mounted right, for sure. I am using "STARS Professional Thermal Compound", since it was the only thing I had at the time. Not something great, but should be THAT bad? I just order some proper paste soon.

The heatpipes on the GPU (around 40C) really feels a lot warmer than the ones at the bottom of the Noctua cooler (even if the CPU is at 60-70C), so it would seem to me that the heat isn't conducting properly from the CPU to the cooler.

What could be the problem? And some tips to tune the OC a bit?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yep, the side fan needs flipped over. Also, check your front fans as well (can't see those).

Honestly, I would start by remounting the heatsink. It is very possible that you just didn't get it seated firmly enough to the CPU. Large heatsinks can be a pain to install, as I am sure you discovered when you installed yours.

The quality of the thermal compound, while it can make a difference of a few degrees, is likely not the issue here.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Thats the first thing I did, was really careful with the two screws, not screwing one too far ahead of the other, so the pressure on the CPU would be even until both screws were fully in place.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Since I couldnn't edit the last reply:

The fact that the CPU stays at the same temp even if the chassis is lying down or standing up, should indicate that the cooler is firmly "secured" and stable?

The front fans is blowing in the right direction, the one on the door was just a little hiccup.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Not necessarily.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How fast are your heatsink fans turning when at idle and under load? Have you adjusted your BIOS settings for max quiet or max performance?

Does operating the rig with the side panel off make a significant difference in temps?

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012
The fans are not PWM fans, and I am using a fan controller (Lamptron Touch), they are running at 60-70% at all times, 7-8 volts.

No or very little difference in temperatures.

larkspur

Distinguished
The temps don't look that out of the ordinary for the clocks and settings you have set. This isn't a Sandy Bridge chip, so don't expect sub-70c temps at near 4ghz with cranked up voltage.

Since you are using some kind of "auto" overclocking, you should stop doing that and use manual settings. 1.35v isn't that high, but it's high enough to swell your temps to about where they are. Keep the clock the same and lower the voltage as much as you can without losing stability and you'll shave some degrees off of that. That case looks like it has plenty of airflow.

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012

They are called noise adapters, so they are for quiet operations. It's just a little resistor that "eats up" a few volts.

I am not using them, I am however using a fan controller, as I already stated, and I am giving the fans 8 volts, which makes the fans go at just under 70% of their "normal" speeds. And I also said that turning the speeds up to 100%, or 12 volts, makes no difference. I'm guessing that with all fans inside my chassis running at 6-8 volts (depending on their location), the airflow is more than good enough for the D14 do perform as it should.

Thanks larsk.
I just saw other peoples forum posts here and elsewhere, where people got sub 70C with the D14 and with the same clock speeds as me.
I'll look into the OC in a few days, have to study now, and no time for geeking tomorrow.

larkspur

Distinguished
"One minute of Prime95"
Sorry I missed that, I figured that was your peak in prime after at like 30 mins. What is your peak in prime or does the chip just keep heating up above the temps you reported? If it keeps swelling above what you reported, then something isn't right and you should try remounting your D14 - not a big deal but you might as well get some good paste - I've been using Arctic Cooling MX-4 (they claim it's good for 8 years, I'm dubious but we'll see...).

knotman

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Whoa, this is embarrasing. :cry:
Managed to miss that one of the screws on the backplate had turned a few degrees and was out of place. Just upgraded to a i5 3570k, idle tems are 4-5 degrees above the temp inside the case, which is 2-3 degrees above the temp outside the case. Haven't done any benching or overclocking yet.

Thanks for your help anyways. :love:

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Oops! Stuff happens and has happened to us all at one point or another. Have fun!