[SOLVED] Temperature spikes on my laptop, but only with charger connected ?

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
My HP pavilion 15 is the ryzen 5 4600h model. On battery, the CPU temps idle between 30 to 40 C and its relatively stable all the time, but as soon as I plug in, the temps see a 10 degree spike to the 50s, even when I am doing absolutely nothing on the machine. I see a continuous 10 degree spike in temperature(like from 55 to 64) every 5 seconds. This only happens while plugged in but I am a bit confused about this continuous 10 degree spike as I am not running anything during that time. I checked task manager to make sure no process is running and there was nothing. Is this normal ?

Thanx for any help.

Solution
Hey there,

Temp spikes like that are pretty normal. Don't forget you have a 6 core CPU, and with the way Windows 10 uses threads, as it will split the load, and the temp will bump up and then back down pretty quickly as the cores clock up and then down again. Nothing to be overly worried about.

With that said, I've a similar HP Omen with an I7 9750h. It runs hot. Hotter than the more efficient Ryzen 4600h, so for me those idle temps are a little on the high side. Mine idles at about 30-35c or so without my laptop cooler pad. In the high 20's with cooler in place.

I expect you have the Omen gaming Hub installed? If so, play around with the different settings under performance modes. This can help your idle temps.

The 3 modes are...
Hey there,

Temp spikes like that are pretty normal. Don't forget you have a 6 core CPU, and with the way Windows 10 uses threads, as it will split the load, and the temp will bump up and then back down pretty quickly as the cores clock up and then down again. Nothing to be overly worried about.

With that said, I've a similar HP Omen with an I7 9750h. It runs hot. Hotter than the more efficient Ryzen 4600h, so for me those idle temps are a little on the high side. Mine idles at about 30-35c or so without my laptop cooler pad. In the high 20's with cooler in place.

I expect you have the Omen gaming Hub installed? If so, play around with the different settings under performance modes. This can help your idle temps.

The 3 modes are Comfort, Default, and Performance. Performance mode takes off all the CPU limitations and will make the CPU run at full pelt, but with high heat output and fan noise.

Getting a good laptop cooling pad, can bring temps down about 5c. They are worth the purchase.

Reactions: Legend207
Solution

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hey there,

The 3 modes are Comfort, Default, and Performance. Performance mode takes off all the CPU limitations and will make the CPU run at full pelt, but with high heat output and fan noise.

Getting a good laptop cooling pad, can bring temps down about 5c. They are worth the purchase.
Glad to hear that this is normal. As for the omen gaming hub, I checked and found out that hp doesn't allow performance modes on the pavilion series. Hope they will enable it in the future, as that could be useful. I am looking into a good cooling pad for now.
Thanx!

Last edited:
No worries. Glad to offer some help.

There's a couple of other things that you can do in terms of temps, one is to replace the thermal paste for the CPU/GPU, and the other is to undervolt your CPU.

Whilst replacing thermal paste is no easy task, it's not the most difficult either. If you have any experience with re-pasting a desktop CPU, then it's pretty straight forward. Of course you have to disassemble the laptop, or at least part of it. So that can void the warranty (for whatever that's worth).

I've just done mine, and the temps do drop substantially. It seems the thermal paste HP use, isn't the best, but not the worst either. The differences would be like this:

With HP Paste: CPU temps at max load would be in the high 90's.
With Arctic MX-4: CPU temps max out at about 82-84c

That's a big drop. And because the temps are lower, the CPU can boost for longer, and not throttle.
The re-pasting didn't help the GPU too much. Difference was only 1 or 2c. It's worth considering.

Reactions: Legend207