[SOLVED] Temperature spikes on my Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro

Dec 19, 2021
Hey,

while running on battery (not plugged in) the temperature is completely fine at about 30-55 degrees celsius (even when playing games like League of Legends). But when plugged in the temperature spikes up to 95 degrees celsius, but only for like 10-20 seconds and then instantly goes down again. This happens also when it is just sitting there plugged in which is having me worried. It is a pretty new device, bought 2 months ago.

I also found that in the AMD Radeon Software it monitors temperature spikes even when not plugged in, these are not monitored by Core Temp which I usually use for monitoring the temperature. I have included a screenshot of inside the Radeon Software displaying mentioned spikes (https://ibb.co/8gsxWWQ).

The processor is the Ryzen 9 5900HX and I have 16 GB of Ram.

The spikes only happen when the device is being charged, it does not matter if it is sitting idle or if I am working on it while charging. Also the fans go crazy during these spikes while plugged in.

Solution
laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
That means that they will not cool when the processor and graphics chips are pushed. When plugged in, the windows power profile will be much more aggressive than when on battery.
Often this means throttling when gaming plugged in.
One thing you might try is to
try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.
laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
That means that they will not cool when the processor and graphics chips are pushed. When plugged in, the windows power profile will be much more aggressive than when on battery.
Often this means throttling when gaming plugged in.
One thing you might try is to
try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Solution

Latest posts