Temperatures and stability question.

Sep 10, 2018
Hello!

Specs are below! So I'm a first time PC Builder and was interested in OCing a little so I bought the k version of the i7. In my bios, it won't let me change CPU frequency to the 47 like I want, but it does let me go to CPU Upgrade which has a list of different CPU's and clock speeds, I picked the 4.8 and was curious about temperatures. At idle its in the low 30's, gaming in the mid 40's. When I run Cinebench, the temp goes up to the low-mid 70's. The temps were near the same when I tried OCing at 5.0, with the Cinebench going to higher 70's, but the idle and gaming temps are the same. According to CPU-Z, my voltage when running cinebench or cpu-z, is about 1.32 average. I'm sure my low temps are fine, but is that mid-high 70's too much? Is my PC ever going to be under that much workload? My uses for this PC are for streaming, recording, video rendering, music production, so pretty much all round. Tell me what you all think please! Are there other resources I should be utilizing?I'm getting so many conflicted answers just reading. Thank you!

CPU: I7 8700k
MOBO: Aorus Gaming 5
CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3
GPU: Zotac Geforce 1080 Amped Edition
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ
Windows not activated yet (if that matters)

Solution
That's pretty much common normal temps for an air cooler set up. What you want is higher clock speed but lower voltage because higher voltage = higher temps. But too low voltage = instability and is prone to crashing or pc restarting.
That's pretty much common normal temps for an air cooler set up. What you want is higher clock speed but lower voltage because higher voltage = higher temps. But too low voltage = instability and is prone to crashing or pc restarting.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS