Question Temperatures reach 75 celcius while gaming with my loop

Oct 18, 2021
Non native speaker so excuse my typos.
So i have a watercooling loop in my build. always had my temperatures at 50 ish on idle and now its really starting to bother me. i used to have it only on the cpu (wicth made no difference) before i added the gpu in it, any advice? ive changed the thermal paste multiple times with a high quality paste with every the 6 month maintanence gap. the gpu seems to have reasonable temps around 35c in idle. im trying to wrap my head around the fact my cpu is always running so hot. is it the block? (the case made no difference when i had it in a Fractal Design Meshify C)

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (Watercooled)
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x (Watercooled)
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
NZXT H510i
Samsung evo 960 250GB
1,5tb of random old server hard drives

The loop:
Pump and resirvoir: EK FLT D5 120
CPU Block: Alphacool XPLight
GPU block: Ekwb TF6
Radiator: NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 280mm
Pipes and fittings: some regular rubber tubes and Eiszapfen 13/10

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just a single 280mm for all of that? Not surprising.

CPUs are expected to run warmer than the GPU, they are smaller. Rule of thumb is one 120mm radiator per component to cool to equal air cooling performance. If you only have a single 280mm radiator, and the fans aren't loud, I can easily see a saturated loop hitting 75C on the CPU and.

Your idle temps do seem high though. Depends on the ambient temperature, but typically see mid twenties on a GPU at true idle and CPUs tend to bounce around the low 30s (since they are never really idle, 50C would not surprise me there either). That said, idle temperatures aren't super important, the local heating on the CPU/GPU will always override the water temperature, the key is the top end, and I've mentioned what I think is wrong there.

Oct 18, 2021
Just a single 280mm for all of that? Not surprising.

CPUs are expected to run warmer than the GPU, they are smaller. Rule of thumb is one 120mm radiator per component to cool to equal air cooling performance. If you only have a single 280mm radiator, and the fans aren't loud, I can easily see a saturated loop hitting 75C on the CPU and.

Your idle temps do seem high though. Depends on the ambient temperature, but typically see mid twenties on a GPU at true idle and CPUs tend to bounce around the low 30s (since they are never really idle, 50C would not surprise me there either). That said, idle temperatures aren't super important, the local heating on the CPU/GPU will always override the water temperature, the key is the top end, and I've mentioned what I think is wrong there.
I got the 280mm because of my original plans to add the gpu to the loop and as you mentioned 120mm per component so the 280mm should be enough with no overclockking (no clocking here) but it still astonishes me since we dont have a high ambient temp here in finland, i do think the case needs to be swapped out as i have only 2 120mm spots left and if im going to add another radiator it should be of the same caliber or even larger. Plan is to possibly keep the 280 and get a case that supports a 360 but those cases are hard to find in the typical mid tower sizes. Thank you for your awnser all thought!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS