[SOLVED] Temperatures way too high on ryzen 7 3700x

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
I just replaced the mobo since this is a prebuilt pc and it came with a crappy a320m motherboard which didn't fully support my amd ryzen 7 3700x. I replaced it with a TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS. However the cpu temperatures just became way higher than what they used to be. I had high temperatures before this but now they are even higher (they average at around 75-80 celsius when playing x-plane 11 and sometimes even go to 85 celsius). I set the BIOS so that the CPU throttles when it reaches 83 celsius to prevent any damage and I also modified the fan profile to go to 100% speed when the cpu reaches 65 celsius. Idle temperatures are around 50-60 celsius. I used corsair thermal paste and it's spread evenly across the CPU (I put the paste on the cpu, then put the cooler, then removed the cooler to check if the paste was spread evenly, then put the cooler back on). I'm using the stock wraith prism cooler.
The only issue I can see is that the wraith prism cooler is tilted/rotated slightly to one side (I have no idea why, the clips are locked and secure, I tried to rotate it so it's perfect but it didn't move). It's a very small tilt though and you have to actually be looking to notice it.
Please let me know what I can do to lower my temperatures, any help would be appreciated.
P.S. I also disabled PBO in the bios

Solution
You could try turning down the CPU speed in bios and also if your CPU cooler is tilted that could be the problem? You could always try and buy brand new CPU cooler and test it out!

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
You could try turning down the CPU speed in bios and also if your CPU cooler is tilted that could be the problem? You could always try and buy brand new CPU cooler and test it out!
I set the ram to 2800 mhz instead of 3000 mhz and the cpu seems to be doing better now. Do the temperatures really go down if you reduce the ram mhz?

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Download Hardware Monitor and monitor the "CPU Die (average)" temperatures.

It is completely normal to see temperature spikes on Ryzen 3000 series, which is why it can be more helpful to monitor your average temperatures over time. There is a lot of information and discussion out there about this very issue.

Reactions: kurdtnz