Question Temperatures

Answer: yes

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021
Hello. I recently got a pc. It has a gtx 1650 and an I3 10105f. The gpu has dual cooling and for a gtx 1650 thats enough. On my cpu i have a
gammaxx 400 v2 deepcool cpu fan. In the case i have 3 fans: 2 on front and 1 on the back.the temperatures are good. Both the cpu and gpu stay under 60 all the time. Today i disabled the 3 case fans, (unplugged on the motherboard.) to see if they help enything or they just waste electricity. I hopped on gta and with vsync off and 100+fps the gpu was around 60 and the cpu between 50 and 60. When i turned on the vsync(75 fps) both temperatures dropped to around
40-50 c. Should i keep the case fans off? thanks in advance.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When i turned on the vsync(75 fps) both temperatures dropped to around
40-50 c.

When you cap the FPS, and won't let games to utilize GPU fully, GPU doesn't have to work at full power, thus reducing the temperatures as well.

Both the cpu and gpu stay under 60 all the time.
I hopped on gta and with vsync off and 100+fps the gpu was around 60 and the cpu between 50 and 60.

You have relatively weak system, without powerful hardware that consumes a lot of power, and in turn, also produces lot of heat. That's why there's negligible difference in temps, when you stop your case fans. Still, GPU temps did increase a bit.

All-in-all, it's best to keep airflow inside the PC for cooling, via case fans.

or they just waste electricity

One PC case fan, is usually 1-3W. That's nothing in terms of power consumption.

Speaking of power consumption, what make and model PSU you have?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
40-50 c.

When you cap the FPS, and won't let games to utilize GPU fully, GPU doesn't have to work at full power, thus reducing the temperatures as well.

I hopped on gta and with vsync off and 100+fps the gpu was around 60 and the cpu between 50 and 60.

You have relatively weak system, without powerful hardware that consumes a lot of power, and in turn, also produces lot of heat. That's why there's negligible difference in temps, when you stop your case fans. Still, GPU temps did increase a bit.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
40-50 c.

Answer: yes

Commendable
Mar 16, 2021

I've got a evga 80 plus 500w. At first i wanted a 600w but i saw benchmark videos that used 400-450w psu-s

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've got a evga 80 plus 500w.

So, you have worst efficiency PSU that you can buy and you're worried about the power consumption of 3x case fans? :??:

80+ (White) PSU has efficiency rating of: 82% efficiency on 25% and 100% load, 85% efficiency on 50% load.
For comparison, i'll put my PSU (Seasonic SSR-650TD) next to yours, which is 80+ Titanium (best efficiency PSU money could buy). 80+ Titanium PSU has efficiency rating of: 94% efficiency on 25% and 100% load, 96% efficiency on 50% load.

To put this into numbers, and when load on PSU is 50%;
Your 80+ (White) PSU provides 250W, while pulling 287.5W from the wall. The extra 37.5W that PSU pulls from the wall, is the efficiency deficient of 15% and is wasted as excess heat.
My 80+ Titanium PSU provides 325W (since i have 650W PSU), while pulling 338W from the wall. My PSU only wastes 13W worth of power as excess heat, due to the very high efficiency it has (deficient of 4%).
If i'd have 500W 80+ Titanium PSU (same wattage as yours), which provides 250W at 50% load, it would pull 260W from the wall, wasting only 10W as excess heat.

Difference is that your PSU wastes 3 times more power than mine does, just because yours is so inefficient.
That being said, and if you'd really worry about power consumption, then buy 80+ Titanium efficiency PSU.

I have 80+ Titanium PSUs in use in two of my PCs, because i also have UPSes (one UPS per PC). And i can not afford to waste power as excess heat, thus reducing the runtime of my UPSes, in event of a blackout. That's the main reason for me. And of course, wasting as little power as excess heat as possible, is also a good reason.

Bottom line:
The 3x case fans you have, are pointless to keep off, to save power, since your inefficient PSU is wasting at least 37.5W worth of power (and even more, when load on PSU isn't near to 50% of it's max capacity). Hence why i asked what PSU you have and described the efficiency of PSUs.