Question Tempered glass of case exploded, is my PC SOL?

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
So, I have a Corsair 275R Airflow case. Yesterday, I was changing the CPU and RAM of my system, and everything seemed to be okay.
However, when I called it done and tried putting the front panel back in, for some unknown reason, it SHATTERED into millions of pieces in front of my face.
I didn't drop it or anything. It just exploded when I tried fitting it in. I didn't even put any screws yet.
I'm totally fine, but some shards made it into the case.
I've already contacted Corsair to see if I can get a new panel, and I've already sent my PC to a repair shop for it to be cleaned. However, I have some questions :
-First, is it possible that the PC parts could've been damaged? The case was standing, but I saw shards on the back plate of the graphics card and on the PSU (I have it mounted below the mobo). Is it possible they might've been damaged by the glass shards?
-Second, since I can apparently choose, is it worth it to get an acrylic panel instead of a tempered glass one for the replacement? I don't really care for scratches or anything as long as what happened yesterday doesn't happen again.

I'm a bit astounded of this happening the first time I try upgrading my PC's CPU, and I hope this doesn't screw me over too much.

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Alright.
Also, I wanted to know, should I try getting a TG panel replacement or an acrylic one?
I've been severely traumatized by this thing, so I want to see if acrylic will do better.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Would maybe say depend on if acrylic has scratch coating. Ones without can maybe scratch easy. If you put out of sight then its not issue for sure. Would maybe say that glass panel needs to be under some tension to explode like that. Not an idea why would do that but glass is maybe the nicest can have. Good luck either ways.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Glass doesn't break by itself. TG doesn't shatter like that unless it was scratched prior and then stressed badly. The most common cause of 'accidental' explosion for no apparent reason is the cpu cooler is too tall and actually hitting/scratching the panel. TG on a pc is roughly equivalent in thickness and strength to a drivers side car window, and regardless of what you see in the movies, they don't break easily.

Meaning unless there was physical contact with the cpu cooler, the reason it exploded is all due to you. Whether or not that can/will ever happen again is simply unknown unless you can pinpoint exactly when the TG exploded and why, and avoid repeating that particular occurance.

If you are normally a cautious and careful person chances are good it was a fluke happening, if you are 'butter-fingered', acrylic might be the better solution.

Dantido

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Glass doesn't break by itself. TG doesn't shatter like that unless it was scratched prior and then stressed badly. The most common cause of 'accidental' explosion for no apparent reason is the cpu cooler is too tall and actually hitting/scratching the panel. TG on a pc is roughly equivalent in thickness and strength to a drivers side car window, and regardless of what you see in the movies, they don't break easily.

Meaning unless there was physical contact with the cpu cooler, the reason it exploded is all due to you. Whether or not that can/will ever happen again is simply unknown unless you can pinpoint exactly when the TG exploded and why, and avoid repeating that particular occurance.

If you are normally a cautious and careful person chances are good it was a fluke happening, if you are 'butter-fingered', acrylic might be the better solution.
Probably. It was most likely something to do with the fitting, which probably did some kind of lever effect by accident. I'll still get acrylic, though.

TRENDING THREADS