[SOLVED] Tempered side glass heat

Hot glass tempered side panel:

I recently got a 3080 Tuf OC and I re-routed all my cables and replaced my thermal paste in my current build.
Using Asus GPU tweak my temps are running pretty average, ranging from 30 degrees celcius idle to 80 when gaming hard.
CPU temps average about the same
Glass side panel on my case can get REALLY toasty though, just installed 3 new corsair fans but the glass still heats up. Is it alright to run components that are within their temp range while a glass side panel heats up to "ow" levels?
Idle is fine, it's only hot to touch when gaming.

Solution
Those aftermarket cards dump their heat in the chassis, and the fins of the heatsink are aimed right at the sides...
Plus glass is an insulator of heat.
Well, improving gpu thermals is about all you can do about it, so the gpu is blasting the glass with not as hot air. You're working with a 375w card here.

Overall, it shouldn't be a serious issue, unless you live in a refrigerated room; glass cracks if exposed to the opposite extremes in quick succession.
Hot glass tempered side panel:

I recently got a 3080 Tuf OC and I re-routed all my cables and replaced my thermal paste in my current build.
Using Asus GPU tweak my temps are running pretty average, ranging from 30 degrees celcius idle to 80 when gaming hard.
CPU temps average about the same
Glass side panel on my case can get REALLY toasty though, just installed 3 new corsair fans but the glass still heats up. Is it alright to run components that are within their temp range while a glass side panel heats up to "ow" levels?
Idle is fine, it's only hot to touch when gaming.
Where are the fans setup and how? What CPU cooler do you use?

Running 3 corsair QL120s and a corsair h150i inside of a corsair carbide series 275r
Is it the one with the blocked front panel? The radiator is on the front, which means it's probably drawing in warmer air because, well, the CPU's heat is being dissipated. If that's the case take off the front panel you should see cpu temps drop at least, maybe even gpu. I have a 3600 under a Hyper 212 rgb, which is much inferior to the 150i. I don't even hit 80 on Cinebench. And that's with the front panel on. Try taking it off, also is your CPU oc'd? And what CPU?

It has side venting on the front panel. I have a i9900k, my signature has all my specs.

My gpu and cpu are operating within their given thermal range, it's just the glass side panel can get hot, like not just warm but like "i can't keep touching this any longer" hot, infront of where the gpu is. I just wonder if this can be some indication of some other problem.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
It has side venting on the front panel. I have a i9900k, my signature has all my specs.
Oh my bad. I am on my phone and mobile Tom's hardware doesn't show signature. Idk why. Anyway. That 1/4" gap really doesn't help man. When I removed it, there was slightly more noise but my ambient temps decreased by nearly 3° and load by 5-6°. GPU temps also dropped by 4°. Try benchmarking without the front panel on. Just the dust filter

Oh my bad. I am on my phone and mobile Tom's hardware doesn't show signature. Idk why. Anyway. That 1/4" gap really doesn't help man. When I removed it, there was slightly more noise but my ambient temps decreased by nearly 3° and load by 5-6°. GPU temps also dropped by 4°. Try benchmarking without the front panel on. Just the dust filter
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37172821
it's running good, I just touched the glass out of curiosity and noticed that it was at hot shower level

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those aftermarket cards dump their heat in the chassis, and the fins of the heatsink are aimed right at the sides...
Plus glass is an insulator of heat.
Well, improving gpu thermals is about all you can do about it, so the gpu is blasting the glass with not as hot air. You're working with a 375w card here.

Overall, it shouldn't be a serious issue, unless you live in a refrigerated room; glass cracks if exposed to the opposite extremes in quick succession.

Solution
Lol yeah!
Now I'm thinking of mounting the gpu vertically so the heat blows upwards and out the top of my case. Not sure how close I want the fans of the gpu to the panel now..
You can't use the included vertical slots, they're just 2 and will stick the fans in the face of the glass, choking em. I wanted to vertically mount my gpu and was happy that I can, but then I looked a little closer and my gpu is so fat (2.5 slot) that I literally cannot fit it without the glass either not screwing on or touching the card completely. You'll need a third party mounting bracket that uses all 7 expansion slots to mount it further inside the case

You can't use the included vertical slots, they're just 2 and will stick the fans in the face of the glass, choking em. I wanted to vertically mount my gpu and was happy that I can, but then I looked a little closer and my gpu is so fat (2.5 slot) that I literally cannot fit it without the glass either not screwing on or touching the card completely. You'll need a third party mounting bracket that uses all 7 expansion slots to mount it further inside the case
Noted! I'm gonna go to microcenter here on my lunch break and see what they got, thanks for the tip about the mount. You nailed my worry exactly on the head haha

Hmm.. Maybe I'll just stick to horizontal for now as after adjusting my radiator fans my temps never touched 80C after a good 2 1/2 hour session in valhalla, like they had prior. Temps are stable and glass is warm not hot now, so yeah I think I can wait a little bit on the vertical mount, no sense in fixing something that isn't broken! ((or just ending up with worse thermals than i have now))

I do want some custom cables though, the amount of unused connectors in these corsair provided cables is kinda driving me nuts.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. Probably see some benchmark on youtube. GN did one but he used the included slots and had an air cooler and only one extra fan in the case.
In my eyes, V-gpu:
-works best with custom liquid and hybrid cooled cards.
-blowers don't care either way(horizontal/vertical).
-the other air cooled cards can/do work, but there's usually a compromise(higher thermals, more noise) to be made.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Prad_Bitt
That price sucks - it used to be closer to 150USD... are you looking at it from a 3rd party seller? They would've jacked it up, for sure.

It's smaller than my H500P Mesh, and I think that's a nice size already.

My chassis isn't even in my line of sight(monitor #2 obstructs it) most of the time, plus I would find a bunch of LEDs distracting... the rainbow vomit is not all that attractive to me because of that.

@Prad_Bitt
That price sucks - it used to be closer to 150USD... are you looking at it from a 3rd party seller? They would've jacked it up, for sure.

It's smaller than my H500P Mesh, and I think that's a nice size already.

My chassis isn't even in my line of sight(monitor #2 obstructs it) most of the time, plus I would find a bunch of LEDs distracting... the rainbow vomit is not all that attractive to me because of that.
Lol I live in India. As far as I know there's literally only one online seller for Lian Li here. Offline way too crowded to take any chances. And the XL costs about $225-250, O11D normal fluctuates between 180-200. L2Mesh black rgb is like $115 and white rgb is $125. I got the 275r for $90. Crazy prices here, slowly stabilizing now though.

Somehow the Fara R1, which is $61 in the US according to GN. Is $50 here.

Even i dont like the rainbow rgb. Too much contrast. I use just blue and pink all over my setup, something like what Phanteks has advertised in their P400A digital. I keep the brightness low too, keeps it pretty and sleek

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS