Temple of Elemental Evil Basic Q

I just bought TEE having found it for $9.98 at Half Price Books.
Downloaded and installed the patches. Got ready to play. Got my ass handed
to me in the friggin' tutorial.

Why?

Because, try as I might, I don't get it. I can have my main character walk
and swing and attack someone. No problem. What I can't do is figure out
how to use the radial dial/thingie to get the wizard to do anything but
get reamed.

How does one fight in this system? The manual is absolutely no help at
all as it seems to assume you already know what it's going to tell you, so
why tell you? Any help here or any referral to a site where I can get
help is so very, very much appreciated.

Best,

Velvet Elvis

Jim

On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:02 GMT, VelvetElvis <reallyNO@SPAM4me.xyz>
wrote:

>I just bought TEE having found it for $9.98 at Half Price Books.
>Downloaded and installed the patches. Got ready to play. Got my ass handed
>to me in the friggin' tutorial.
>
>Why?
>
>Because, try as I might, I don't get it. I can have my main character walk
>and swing and attack someone. No problem. What I can't do is figure out
>how to use the radial dial/thingie to get the wizard to do anything but
>get reamed.
>
>How does one fight in this system? The manual is absolutely no help at
>all as it seems to assume you already know what it's going to tell you, so
>why tell you? Any help here or any referral to a site where I can get
>help is so very, very much appreciated.
>
>Best,
>

>Velvet Elvis

Dear Big E,

It's all about the space bar. Hit it to pause the game. Issue a
command to your wizard. Now hit the spacebar to resume play. As soon
as a spell is cast, hit the space bar again to issue another command.
Etc.

Jim <> wrote in news:51bo7119tjiaomnsd4vqr4ad9ujkeh2gmb@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:02 GMT, VelvetElvis <reallyNO@SPAM4me.xyz>
> wrote:
>

>>I just bought TEE having found it for $9.98 at Half Price Books.
>>Downloaded and installed the patches. Got ready to play. Got my ass
>>handed to me in the friggin' tutorial.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>Because, try as I might, I don't get it. I can have my main character
>>walk and swing and attack someone. No problem. What I can't do is
>>figure out how to use the radial dial/thingie to get the wizard to do
>>anything but get reamed.
>>
>>How does one fight in this system? The manual is absolutely no help
>>at all as it seems to assume you already know what it's going to tell
>>you, so why tell you? Any help here or any referral to a site where
>>can get help is so very, very much appreciated.
>>
>>Best,
>>

>>Velvet Elvis
>
> Dear Big E,
>
> It's all about the space bar. Hit it to pause the game. Issue a
> command to your wizard. Now hit the spacebar to resume play. As
soon
> as a spell is cast, hit the space bar again to issue another command.
> Etc.

Well, i was my usual idiotic self. As soon as I posted this, it occured
to me (no help from the manual, of course) that I should let her rest
-- so I rested her and then, after a moment, there was the Wiz option
on the radial so I could actually do a spell.

Victory! This is going to rock!

Er ... no, not really. I've tried it many, many times in the tutorial
and she dies every time. Quickly. And the number of spells she can use
drops each time until she has to run back and rest, come back, try a
few, and die.

Went to try the start of a game and same thing. Five people creamed by
a bear and a couple of idgets.

I obviously don't get the breakdown of the turn itself. I'll attack
with the warrior or shoot off a spell and end the turn. Not much reason
to do anything else except walk toward someone now and then.

Still, it's clunky for me and they're dead in a matter of seconds.
Apparently I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and the design of
this game capitalizes on that fact. :(

Velvet Elvis

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

<Jim> wrote in message news:51bo7119tjiaomnsd4vqr4ad9ujkeh2gmb@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:02 GMT, VelvetElvis <reallyNO@SPAM4me.xyz>
> wrote:
>

>>I just bought TEE having found it for $9.98 at Half Price Books.
>>Downloaded and installed the patches. Got ready to play. Got my ass handed
>>to me in the friggin' tutorial.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>Because, try as I might, I don't get it. I can have my main character walk
>>and swing and attack someone. No problem. What I can't do is figure out
>>how to use the radial dial/thingie to get the wizard to do anything but
>>get reamed.
>>
>>How does one fight in this system? The manual is absolutely no help at
>>all as it seems to assume you already know what it's going to tell you, so
>>why tell you? Any help here or any referral to a site where I can get
>>help is so very, very much appreciated.
>>
>>Best,
>>

>>Velvet Elvis
>
> Dear Big E,
>
> It's all about the space bar. Hit it to pause the game. Issue a
> command to your wizard. Now hit the spacebar to resume play. As soon
> as a spell is cast, hit the space bar again to issue another command.
> Etc.

wrong game, Jim. You're thinking BG and the like. TOEE is pure turn-based.

On 07/05/05 04:15, VelvetElvis wrote:
> Victory! This is going to rock!
>
> Er ... no, not really. I've tried it many, many times in the tutorial
> and she dies every time. Quickly. And the number of spells she can use
> drops each time until she has to run back and rest, come back, try a
> few, and die.
>
> Went to try the start of a game and same thing. Five people creamed by
> a bear and a couple of idgets.

Ok, let's start from the basics. Who's in your party? You should have
two tanks (I prefer a fighter and a ranger, but barbarian or paladin
also works), an aggressive spellcaster (if you're a beginner, this
really should be a sorceror not a wizard), and a healer (cleric). This
leaves a free slot for a rogue/bard. Your tanks do the melee combat,
supported by the sorceror casting (at low level) things like magic
missile. The others you should try to train up as ranged attackers, but
they play a supporting role in combat.

ToEE is a hard game - if a fight is too hard, you should leave it and
come back when you've levelled up. However, the first fight that occurs
as part of the opening vignette for your alignment ought to be trivial,
and if you're having trouble there then you should open the manual and
do some reading!

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:15:58 GMT, VelvetElvis <reallyNO@SPAM4me.xyz>
wrote:

>> Dear Big E,
>>
>> It's all about the space bar. Hit it to pause the game. Issue a
>> command to your wizard. Now hit the spacebar to resume play. As
>soon
>> as a spell is cast, hit the space bar again to issue another command.
>> Etc.
>>

>Well, i was my usual idiotic self. As soon as I posted this, it occured
>to me (no help from the manual, of course) that I should let her rest
>-- so I rested her and then, after a moment, there was the Wiz option
>on the radial so I could actually do a spell.
>
>Victory! This is going to rock!
>
>Er ... no, not really. I've tried it many, many times in the tutorial
>and she dies every time. Quickly. And the number of spells she can use
>drops each time until she has to run back and rest, come back, try a
>few, and die.
>
>Went to try the start of a game and same thing. Five people creamed by
>a bear and a couple of idgets.
>
>I obviously don't get the breakdown of the turn itself. I'll attack
>with the warrior or shoot off a spell and end the turn. Not much reason
>to do anything else except walk toward someone now and then.
>
>Still, it's clunky for me and they're dead in a matter of seconds.
>Apparently I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and the design of
>this game capitalizes on that fact. :(

That's what I hate most about D&D's magic system. I know it was done
to balamce the mages, but having to memorize a spell for hours and
hours before you can cast it is just stupid IMO.

While reading a D&D novel, I just know that the mages described
therein aren't using this stupid magic restriction. There's no way
Raistlin would have beaten Takhisis otherwise. I mean can you imagine
it??"

Oh geez, I don't have anymore Chain Lightning spells Takhisis, hold
on for a few hours while I go home and re-memorize them.

Yah, right.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"Sine Nomine" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Ok, let's start from the basics. Who's in your party? You should have two
> tanks (I prefer a fighter and a ranger, but barbarian or paladin also
> works), an aggressive spellcaster (if you're a beginner, this really
> should be a sorceror not a wizard), and a healer (cleric). This leaves a
> free slot for a rogue/bard. Your tanks do the melee combat, supported by
> the sorceror casting (at low level) things like magic missile. The others
> you should try to train up as ranged attackers, but they play a supporting
> role in combat.
>
> ToEE is a hard game - if a fight is too hard, you should leave it and come
> back when you've levelled up. However, the first fight that occurs as part
> of the opening vignette for your alignment ought to be trivial, and if
> you're having trouble there then you should open the manual and do some
> reading!

You can leave combat?? IIRC, you couldn't break combat. Have they fixed
this?

"JWB" <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> wrote in

> "Sine Nomine" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, let's start from the basics. Who's in your party? You should
have
>> two tanks (I prefer a fighter and a ranger, but barbarian or paladin
>> also works), an aggressive spellcaster (if you're a beginner, this
>> really should be a sorceror not a wizard), and a healer (cleric).
>> This leaves a free slot for a rogue/bard. Your tanks do the melee
>> combat, supported by the sorceror casting (at low level) things like
>> magic missile. The others you should try to train up as ranged
>> attackers, but they play a supporting role in combat.
>>
>> ToEE is a hard game - if a fight is too hard, you should leave it
and
>> come back when you've levelled up. However, the first fight that
>> occurs as part of the opening vignette for your alignment ought to
be
>> trivial, and if you're having trouble there then you should open the
>> manual and do some reading!
>
> You can leave combat?? IIRC, you couldn't break combat. Have they
> fixed this?

Well, I've tried and will go back today and do a bit more. The problem
seems to be that I don't understand the entire combat system in toto. I
do understand there are two divisions -- I could walk, for instance,
and then attack within the same turn or, more correctly, that would
constitute a turn.

Obviously what I"m doing is smooth in the least -- it's got a jerky
feel to it like I'm making things happen, but perhaps skipping a step
here and there.

I've read the manual, thanks to the person suggesting, but the section
on combat lacks a basic overview of the process to which you can plug
in the small bits and pieces. It also lacks concrete examples of what a
particular round of combat might be.

I like the graphics. I like the concept of a system of choosing a fight
(I liked the same turn based part of Wizard 8, for instance, very
much), but don't quite have the outline in my head to do the practical
parts.

All help past and coming is appreciated!

Velvet Elvis

VelvetElvis wrote:
> I like the graphics. I like the concept of a system of choosing a
> fight (I liked the same turn based part of Wizard 8, for instance,
> very much), but don't quite have the outline in my head to do the
> practical parts.
> All help past and coming is appreciated!

I can't really help you there because it's been a while since I played this
game, but it was pretty much unplayable out of the box so make sure you
patch it first and foremost:

http://www.atari.com/us/support/dl.php?file=ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches
/toee/TOEE_ANY-PATCH3.EXE

It won't fix all of the issues (there are too many to mention) but sure
helps.

So long Troika, RIP.

BuckFush wrote:
> I can't really help you there because it's been a while since I
> played this game, but it was pretty much unplayable out of the box so
> make sure you patch it first and foremost:

Sorry, but it looks like I gave you bad advice according to this post:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1666

There's also a very good starting out guide right there, hope this helps.

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in

> VelvetElvis wrote:
>> I like the graphics. I like the concept of a system of choosing a
>> fight (I liked the same turn based part of Wizard 8, for instance,
>> very much), but don't quite have the outline in my head to do the
>> practical parts.
>> All help past and coming is appreciated!
>
> I can't really help you there because it's been a while since I
played
> this game, but it was pretty much unplayable out of the box so make
> sure you patch it first and foremost:
>
> http://www.atari.com/us/support/dl.php?
file=ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/pa
> tches /toee/TOEE_ANY-PATCH3.EXE
>
> It won't fix all of the issues (there are too many to mention) but
> sure helps.
>
> So long Troika, RIP.

Well, I blew it off. I found that no matter what I did in the blasted
turorial (1) somebody died immediately because they couldn't respond
fast enough or often enough to defeat 7 opponents and (2) Way too slow
and worthless and (3) The one halfway decent spell the wizard has means
you have to rest twice to get it to stick and can use only 1 time
before it vanishes, leaving you a few spells as good as spitting on a
monster and then, alas, you're back to 1.

Not sure how anyone can find a bit of pleasure in this mess.

Thanks for the help, though .... I did try, but life's tooooooo short
for the intense bullshit of this game. All dressed up, but nothing to
play.

Velvet Elvis

VelvetElvis <reallyNO@spam4me.xyz> wrote:
> Went to try the start of a game and same thing. Five people creamed by
> a bear and a couple of idgets.

That bear next to the giant in the mumble meadows is actually quite
difficult for a first-level party.

Here's some metagame information that you should consider.

Mages and sorcerers are much weaker in ToEE than they are in
pencil-and-paper D&D because ToEE is continuous combat without the
possibility of creative thinking (e.g., using spells like alter self or
levitation or whatnot to change the odds). As you've noticed, your fighter
can swing forever while your wizard is limited to a few spells per day. The
nature of the CRPG format makes most spellcasters weak.

Solution: don't play with wizards. You can get away without any in this
game. Have one if you must. Have a priest or two instead. They can actually
fight. If you must have a wizard or sorcerer (and you probably want the
sorcerer), be an Elf or take Martial Weapon: Bow or somesuch so that you
can actually do something useful in combat.

ToEE doesn't implement D&D reach weapons (and, arguably, moving through
threatened areas) "by the book", with the result that longspears (and
whatnot) are strongly overpowered. You can attack people far away *and*
people right next to you. The "munchkin" fighter build in ToEE involves a
fighter with max STR and DEX plus Combat Reflexes. Work your way up to
Cleave. Basically, all of the enemies will die walking towards or around
you. Give every fighter in your party a polearm in the early game if you
possibly can. The yellow "threat circle" around you fighter will get bigger
when you've done this correctly. You'll find a fight or two in the
gatehouse where it's not unreasonable to kill a dozen opponents in one
round with six party members (e.g., because in ToEE you can cleave off of
every attack of opporunity that downs a foe -- this is the best way of
getting multiple attacks per round before sixth level).

The strongest party build (up to the first half of the Temple, say) would
involve five warriors with polearms (as above) and one guy with dodge and
expertise (on max) and a big shield and the elven chainmail out front to
give the enemies somthing to swing at uselessly. With such a build you
should easily be able to clear the moathouse and the bandit town and
the swamp and the meadows and the first level of the temple without
reloading. Take some levels in Barbarian or whatnot so that you don't lose
your DEX bonus to AC. Low on the roleplaying, but if you wanted that you'd
be playing BG2 or PST. You don't actually need a rogue.

The other really big hint is the "charge" command. Loosely, this allows you
to make an attack on someone that is more than half of your maximum
movement away. It also gives you a bonus to hit. You should be able to win
all early combats by having your defense guy walk/charge up to the enemies
and then having the polearm guys charge the enemies. They'll end their
charge a step or two behind the defense guy, so they'll never get attacked.
Enemies that try to walk around the defense will get killed by attacks of
opportunity from all of your polearm guys who threaten the entire area.
Enemies that foolishly try to attack you with ranged weapons (e.g.,
crossbows) because you aren't actually standing next to them will take
attacks of opportunity from the longspears. Never walk if you can charge or
five-foot step -- the bonus to hit from charging is key at low-levels.
Also, don't turn on Power Attack. The way the numbers work out, early game
opponents have low hit points but decent AC.

> I obviously don't get the breakdown of the turn itself. I'll attack with
> the warrior or shoot off a spell and end the turn. Not much reason to do
> anything else except walk toward someone now and then.

Don't bother with the mage. The only combat options you should really need
to understand are "full attack", "charge", "five foot step", "turn
undead" and "rapid shot".

> Still, it's clunky for me and they're dead in a matter of seconds.

ToEE is clunky for everyone.

> Apparently I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and the design of
> this game capitalizes on that fact. :(

It's not just you.

- Wes

On Sun, 08 May 2005 16:48:24 GMT, VelvetElvis <reallyNO@SPAM4me.xyz>
wrote:

>Well, I blew it off.

You did the right thing. Even once you get the combat, and can make
it through a battle or two, you still spend an arseload of time
reloading savegames, and refighting battles. And there just doesn't
seem to be any payoff in story.

Troika made a perfect interpretation of 3 (.5?) edition rules. And a
tedious game.

I stopped playing after a werewolf came out of secret door for no
discernible reason and mauled my party on the 2nd level of the temple.