[SOLVED] Temporary Fix during Christmas

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey so I'm fairly new when it comes to adding new parts to my PC (only really installed RAM before)

I decided to upgrade my Graphics card for Christmas from a GTX 970 to an RTX 2060 Super - was told I had to make sure my power supply was good enough, and it should have been enough (Corsair RM550x 550W) - well my PC keeps going dark and rebooting every 2-3 hours or so, fairly certain I may have run into the whole "it's not actually 550" as my full build should have come out at 433W

Anyway, I have ordered a Corsair TX850M, 850W but it being Christmas and all I am fairly certain it won't get here until the 26th-27th

Any temporary solutions I can do? underclock the Graphics card? Is it even safe for all my components to currently be running?

Solution
That PSU is way too old for that GPU. A good rule of thumb is to add 200w-300w or more of power when adding a high end GPU, more is always better. It won't hurt anything and won't use any power that it does not need. Also make sure the PSU you get has the right power connectors for your GPU. You picked a great one. Unfortunately, you can't do anything until the new PSU comes in. I would not use the new GPU until then. You risk damaging all your parts. One might suggest putting the new GPU in a lower slot if one is available but still not advisable.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
That PSU is way too old for that GPU. A good rule of thumb is to add 200w-300w or more of power when adding a high end GPU, more is always better. It won't hurt anything and won't use any power that it does not need. Also make sure the PSU you get has the right power connectors for your GPU. You picked a great one. Unfortunately, you can't do anything until the new PSU comes in. I would not use the new GPU until then. You risk damaging all your parts. One might suggest putting the new GPU in a lower slot if one is available but still not advisable.

Solution

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015

Thank you so much! will reinstall my GTX 970 until i recieve my new PSU then to be on the safe side!