Temporary fix for stock intel fan

Oct 21, 2018
I recently bought a new case and power supply and when moving over my components, the push pins on my stock intel cpu cooler broke, and i wont be able to replace it with an aftermarket cooler until my next paycheck in 2 weeks. Is there a way for me to temporarily mount the cooler, as my cpu runs at 90C idle without it

Solution
Zip ties is a common temporary fix. Use decent sized, you'll need 2x for 1 pin replacement. Remove the busted pin, shove a zip tie through the heatsink and mobo, use the 2nd zip tie on the shaft sticking out the back and snug it decently tight. Then lock the opposite pin first, then the remaining diagonal 2. If you didn't struggle to get that first pin locked, the zip tie wasn't tight enough. When fixing permanently, reverse the procedure, 2x pins first, then opposite, then zip tie.

If all 4x pins are busted, use 8x zip ties, but don't tighten fully in 1 shot, tighten slightly in an X pattern until all 4 are really tight. Doing 1 at a time will lead to problems with paste thickness and can mess up the cpu underneath.
DO NOT RUN THE CPU WITHOUT A COOLER PERIOD.

Anyway zip ties work pretty well, and if your very very very very to not overtighten you can use standard bolts nuts and washer to rig up a mounting solution. Also you can go to any used computer part store or ebay and pick up a stock Intel cooler for next to nothing, hell the thermal paste will probably cost more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Zip ties is a common temporary fix. Use decent sized, you'll need 2x for 1 pin replacement. Remove the busted pin, shove a zip tie through the heatsink and mobo, use the 2nd zip tie on the shaft sticking out the back and snug it decently tight. Then lock the opposite pin first, then the remaining diagonal 2. If you didn't struggle to get that first pin locked, the zip tie wasn't tight enough. When fixing permanently, reverse the procedure, 2x pins first, then opposite, then zip tie.

If all 4x pins are busted, use 8x zip ties, but don't tighten fully in 1 shot, tighten slightly in an X pattern until all 4 are really tight. Doing 1 at a time will lead to problems with paste thickness and can mess up the cpu underneath.

Solution