Temporary framerate drops on Windows 7

x3rames

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

I'm having a weird problem ever since I installed Windows 7. From time to time (sometimes every few minutes), my fps drop considerably (haven't tested how much, but it feels like way below 20). This happens game indepent, and also game scene independent, which means if I stand around for a while with low framerate, after some time the framerate returns to normal.

My system is the following:

Q6600 (not oc'd)
4 gigs ram
8800 gtx (driver version: 191.07)
win7 prof. x64
screen resolution is 1920x1200

Best Regards,
Lucas

x3rames

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I can't tell by the hard-drive light, because its broken, but I fired up the resource monitor and there wasn't any serious hard-drive activity. At first I suspected it had something to do with my antivirus (avira), but I disabled it and there was no improvement. This is getting pretty annoying :-s

x3rames

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Sorry for double-posting, but somehow I cannot edit my posts...

I made a quick benchmark (borderlands, 1920x1200, everything high,...) and this is what I got:

jzdrpblns7dc.png

This was just standing around. So there is no logical reason the framerate could drop. CPU stayed at ~50% all the time, Disk IO never got past 1MB/sec.

Well, that is weird. Since this is a new install, I think it is safe to assume everything is ok on the software front. Maybe you could try older/newer (if available) drivers, but that is about it. Next, try running a game with CPUID's HWMonitor running in the background, just to keep an eye on temps.

x3rames

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I guess I figured out what it is... It installed NVMonitor to check my GPU temps, and they went up to 110°C which is where the Framerate dropped... guess some kind of protection mechanism of the GPU. No clue why this hasn't happened on vista... Anyway, how is it possible that suddenly the gpu is getting so hot? I already put new heat-conductive paste on the gpu, didn't improve though (1-2°C less, so it doesn't slow down anymore, but still way to high).

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it? :sarcastic:

Well, I'd say do a careful check for dust in the cooler. That is a fairly old card (but good), and you'd be amazed how much dust can build up in that time. I remember for a single slot once how the dust just was stuffed in there, but that was from a dust college dorm.

If that is not the case, check and make sure the fan is actually spinning.

And if it is working, you may need to turn up the fan speed. I'm not really sure how to do this with NVidia, for ATI they have it in the drivers, but for NVidia you may need a program like Riva tuner if you can't find it anywhere else.

If turning up the fan speed doesn't work, I'd check and make sure all your case fans are in good working order and clean. You can also try taking off the side panel and putting a fan blowing in on the card (something like an 8 inch desk fan) and see if that helps (that is what I did for my 2900XT).

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
+1 to checking fan speed but if you improve your case air flow with some extra fans I think you will be set.

All 8800GT cards vent into the case right? It seems like they ran pretty warm too. Thermal paste will help if you have cool air coming into the card...if you are just recirculating the hot air then it will do no good.

Edit: My bad...you have a gtx. So you do have the card exhausting the hot air.