ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Can anyone shed any light on the following:

Why does the Temporary Internet Folder split into four subfolders?
Why are the folders randomly named?
Is there any way I can stop this altogether?

For Internet Explorer assistance:

Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone shed any light on the following:
>
> Why does the Temporary Internet Folder split into four subfolders?
> Why are the folders randomly named?
> Is there any way I can stop this altogether?

It is for your own security. Don't try and mess with it.

"Your own Security" has nothing to do with any of the sub-folders. I have
been deleting all of them for years now and they will return after you are on
the internet and go to a lot of different web sites. If you delete all of the
temporary internet files, cookies and history before you get off the
internet, (Tools--Internet Options--Settings--View Files) You should never
see those sub-folders.

Please note: If you use Windows Explorer to delete each of the sub-folders,
all of the temporary internet files will jump up to the "Content.IE5" folder
and you can delete them from there also. No harm done !

Redwagon.....

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Can anyone shed any light on the following:
> >
> > Why does the Temporary Internet Folder split into four subfolders?
> > Why are the folders randomly named?
> > Is there any way I can stop this altogether?
> >

> It is for your own security. Don't try and mess with it.

So programs can't execute from it.

"anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:dbtq3e$mb6$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Can anyone shed any light on the following:
>
> Why does the Temporary Internet Folder split into four subfolders?
> Why are the folders randomly named?
> Is there any way I can stop this altogether?

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

REDWAGON wrote on Sat, 23 Jul 2005:

>Please note: If you use Windows Explorer to delete each of the sub-folders,
>all of the temporary internet files will jump up to the "Content.IE5" folder
>and you can delete them from there also. No harm done !

I am intrigued that you can see Content.IE5 in Explorer -- I can't, not
unless I go to a Command Prompt and remove the System attribute from its
parent folder, Temporary Internet Files. In Explorer, TIF has no
sub-folders.

Although I can't see my own, I can see Content.IE5 in the user profiles
of the built-in Administrator account and the Default User account. If I
log out and in again as the Administrator, I can then see the folder in
my own user profile, but not in the Administrator's. In other words, I
can't see Content.IE5 for the account I'm using.

I thought it was the same for everybody, but from what you say it
obviously isn't. Has anyone any ideas why I can't see the folder? My
account is an administrator.

--
Nightowl

TRENDING THREADS