[SOLVED] Temps and Fan Noise on 5800X and H100i

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi,
I bought a Ryzen 5800X and Corsair H100i Elite Capellix last week and I have some concerns regarding the temperature and the fan noise. On idle, the CPU's temperature is about 40c (on Ryzen Master), and the cooler noise barely noticeable, but on load (especially when playing games), the CPU's temperature can reach 70c with loud fans noise. I can’t tell the exact decibel level but from iCue it spins higher than 2000rpm.

I already set the q-fan config in bios to be ‘silent', selected ‘quiet’ fans profile on iCue, and limiting fps on the Radeon app but it doesn’t help much. I use a standard thermal paste (Cooler Master Regular) but I don’t think it’s better than the pre-applied paste. I live in Jakarta and room temperature can reach 30c, although it can be lower when I turn on the air conditioner, normally I only use it in the evening though.

I’m thinking about swapping the fans with the quieter ones but not sure to choose between value or performance products. I saw this comparison video on youtube (and hear how loud the stock ML120 fans are) and I think I’ll choose between the value Arctic P12, be quiet Silent Wings 3, or go with the Noctua NF-A12x25.

But I have some question before making the buy:
1. Between the 3 fans I mentioned, which should I buy in terms of a balance of value and performance? Especially on the noise level on load? If there are better choices please tell me.

2. The H100i included fans (ML120) are connected with this hub that’s powered by a SATA port and connected to a USB 2 header, while the CPU fans port is occupied by the pump. Where should I plug the replacement fans?

3. Does a ‘performance’ thermal paste really makes different results comparing to a regular paste? If yes, I’m thinking to buy a Noctua NT-H2, or is there a better option?

Please help, thanks in advance.

Solution
The fans would be quieter if they don't have to exhaust heat of GPU & CPU at same time. I hardly ever hear my fans unless I change plan to Balanced to reduce temps for 10 minutes, or if fans needs a clean.

Wish people wouldn't make build videos and always put AIO in roof, It does depend on case though, sometimes it works. Most people follow what they see on videos so if everyone is doing it wrong, it just keeps happening. I guess it looks good but fans in PC aren't there to be pretty (in most PC anyway), they meant to help.

My 3600XT idles at 38C and most I seen on CPU is about 80C, only have a 2070Super and its currently 41C, slowly makes its way to 50 every day and doesn't go any higher. I don't play many games.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Quiet isn't really ideal plan for in game, its more for when PC at idle. It is the most relaxed of the 3 built in plans but you could make a custom plan and change when fans hit max, mine only get to max speed at 41c liquid temps. So you could make a custom where it only hit max at a higher liquid temp if you like.

Or buy new fans. I don't have any answers for your questions, just thought I mention it :)
I would get Noctua... okay, I answered 1 question.

Reactions: cliffflip

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for your reply Colif.

Can you tell me which app I can use to make custom fan speed settings? on my mainboard BIOS, there are only fan curve presets (can't edit) and I can't find it on iCue app.

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with Corsair H100i Elite Capellix (I use air cooling) and so just general thoughts...
It's nothing wrong if CPU goes up to 80-82°C at full load (i.e. at gaming) -temperature up to 85°C is considered as totally safe. That means, you can decrease fan speed/noise at full load.

If you decide to buy/replace fans, make sure your motherboard has enough fan headers. But as mentioned above, I would try to find good balance with existing fans.

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
It reaches 90c on my gaming session just now, but then I read articles and people saying that is normal, so it's a bit relaxing for me.

I'll do more research for balancing performance and the noise. If you guys have any more advice it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

It reaches 90c on my gaming session just now
-you said 70°C on your 1st post...

Anyway, 90°C is kinda high in my eyes. Yes, is still below max (which is 95), but I wouldn't feel comfortable with 90°C -unless your room temperature is 30+°C.
I'm just curious... what PC case you have and where did you mount radiator (front or top)?
I ask, because I use $60 air cooler on my 5900X (not overclocked) and get about 76°C max (at 23°C room temperature). So at 30°C room temperature, that would be max 83°C.
It's known that 5800X is somewhat more difficult to cool, but again, 90°C is too much (for water cooling) -just my opinion.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks for your reply Colif.

Can you tell me which app I can use to make custom fan speed settings? on my mainboard BIOS, there are only fan curve presets (can't edit) and I can't find it on iCue app.

Thank you.
  1. Open Icue
  2. click on the icon for AIO (if you have more than 1 Corsair device)
  3. Click on Performance header to open it up and show the 4 basic plans - Quiet, Balanced, Extreme, Zero RPM
  4. Click on the + next to Performance Header to create a custom Plan
  5. this opens the chart shown to the right below which you can change
  6. the 3 little charts that show above the chart are based on the fan curves of the 3 built in plans so you can just alter one without having to start from scratch. It doesn't change the default plans.
a3WSfmK.jpg

Case/cooling situation question is a good one.

Last edited:

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
-you said 70°C on your 1st post...

Anyway, 90°C is kinda high in my eyes. Yes, is still below max (which is 95), but I wouldn't feel comfortable with 90°C -unless your room temperature is 30+°C.
I'm just curious... what PC case you have and where did you mount radiator (front or top)?
I ask, because I use $60 air cooler on my 5900X (not overclocked) and get about 76°C max (at 23°C room temperature). So at 30°C room temperature, that would be max 83°C.
It's known that 5800X is somewhat more difficult to cool, but again, 90°C is too much (for water cooling) -just my opinion.

I’m sorry.
70c is when I use ‘quiet’ fan speed preset on Corsair iCue, and the fans spin at >2000rpm, it’s so loud IMO. Then I found a fixed percentage speed on iCue and set it to 50%, playing some games and the temperature spikes to 90c, but the noise is on lower level of course. And yes, normal room temperature is about 30c.

I use Corsair Graphite 760T case and only plug two included front fans (it’s 140mm afaik) and I mount the radiator on top. Besides that, there are only three fans from my gpu (RX 6800 XT)

—————

By the way, thanks for the guide, Colif! I will check it asap.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was the same as you, i assumed you couldn't change plans, then I looked around app one day and found it by pressing buttons to see what they did.

what GPU do you have?
my guess is the rad set up as exhaust?
have you seen this video?

having AIO Rad as exhaust at top means it sucks all the heat from GPU through the rad before leaving case. You could gain 10C cooling on CPU just by moving rad to front.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The fans would be quieter if they don't have to exhaust heat of GPU & CPU at same time. I hardly ever hear my fans unless I change plan to Balanced to reduce temps for 10 minutes, or if fans needs a clean.

Wish people wouldn't make build videos and always put AIO in roof, It does depend on case though, sometimes it works. Most people follow what they see on videos so if everyone is doing it wrong, it just keeps happening. I guess it looks good but fans in PC aren't there to be pretty (in most PC anyway), they meant to help.

My 3600XT idles at 38C and most I seen on CPU is about 80C, only have a 2070Super and its currently 41C, slowly makes its way to 50 every day and doesn't go any higher. I don't play many games.

Solution