Question Temps are spiking and idling semi-high

Nov 5, 2022
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 4050 Mhz, 8 Core
GPU AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
RAM 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ADATA RGB RAM
COOLING iBUYPOWER RGB Liquid Cooling (I believe it's the 120mm)

About a year ago, (about a year after buying the pc) I had to replace the liquid cooling system when it was still under warranty. The temps back then just slowly spiked well over 95c and shut down. I tried replacing the thermal paste but replacing the cooling system is what actually worked.

NOW I'm having a problems AGAIN! Instead of replacing the cooling system again, I wanted some opinions on what else might be wrong. About two months ago, I noticed the computer shut down. I didn't think anything of it until I restarted it and it shut down within a few minutes. I let it sit for about a half hour, turned it on, checked the temps on Ryzen Master and they were already at 80c and jumped to 95c and back down to 80, then 75 back to 95, so on and so on. I watched it for some time. I updated drivers, did a virus scan, cleaned the fans, made sure they were working and what not then gave up. Next day I turned on the computer and its temps were between 45 to 60. Perfectly fine in my opinion. So I let it go! Everything was fine! The PC was used every day, my son does some gaming on it like Roblox and Minecraft and I do graphic design work so I use a lot of adobe software. A few weeks ago the temps spiked again, shutting down my computer. I reinstalled Windows. For some reason I thought it wasn't hardware related but a virus, maybe drivers, something else because I just replaced the cooling system a year ago. The PC again, was fine. I don't know if this matters much but my kid wanted to play fortnite on the PC, which we use the PS5 for that but I installed it and damn did it lag. I was under the impression that my computer could 100% handle Fortnite. The temps were sitting at 70 to 80 while attempting to play.

Anyway, just today the computer shutdown three times. Once I seen it hit 95c, I simply shut it down and let it cool. I'm on it now with nothing besides the browser (and Ryzen Master) running and it's at 65c to 70c but not jumping above that unless I open a program and it jumps up to 85c. Granted it was a warmer day today but not hot! I'm not getting any errors, the PC loudness has stayed the same, the fans are running.

Besides the cooling system breaking on me, what else COULD be wrong? Pretty much anything, right?! lol. I can't find the thermal paste or I would have tried it by now. I was thinking the GPU might be screwy but I don't even think I have signs of a GPU failure. Maybe that liquid cooling system ibuypower put in there is a junk one.. IF you think it's the cooling system, do any of you recommend one? Cause I'm not going back to using the same one that's already in there.

-liz

Nov 5, 2022
so you don't know?
How many case fans are there?
what does case look like? can you show some photos of its internals/externals?

I would use this to track temps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

Ryzen cpu are spiky but not to 95c

My temps were pretty consistent up until recently. I'll look into the link you showed me what to use for tracking temps. Right now I have a small fan lightly blowing near the computer cause the temp skyrocketed to 103c and I shut it down. Now it's nicely sitting at 42c.

When I bought the PC, they weren't very specific on which cooling system they put in it. After researching it, that's what I ended up assuming they put in. I could be wrong but I'm almost positive it's the one I said. It's been a while since I worked with the hardware side of computers - I'm talking a long time! Can you answer this about the liquid cooling? One line running in is usually physically, to the touch, cooler than the other one, correct? They're both so hot.. or maybe that's because inside the case is fairly hot when it starts exceeding temps.

Here's some pictures. It's a smidge dusty, but that little bit I didn't think would trouble it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WmNaWGph3qcdcQum8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xumgEFEn4kavX61FA

and here is the stock photo of it
https://photos.app.goo.gl/quykkQdAXxN5tub47

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wonder how air gets in, the front fans can't get air in past the glass, and the mounting points on the front don't have any vents to let air in... so where do they get air from?

I can see why it gets hot. Unless I am mistaken and its a mesh front, the front intake fans aren't doing anything apart from getting dusty (but if I took a photo inside my case, I am sure it would find some too). They can't get any fresh air in past the glass, I bet its got a tiny gap at base of front glass cover it pretends is the intake for case.

How much space have you got on top of case? could you mount the 2 intake fans there as exhausts? since its using an AIO for exhaust already, having 2 more exhausts might redirect the hot air. Stock photo at shows you can put one there, I can't tell if it lets you put 2.

right now, the AIO is acting as only exhaust and is sucking all the heat of GPU out... since no actual fresh air gets in via the fans on front. All they do now is pretty lights.

Cases like this look good but are not much better than fish tanks. At least fish tanks have an excuse for being air tight... PC cases need air inside them. I wish there was perforated glass, then we could have all glass cases and keep them cool at same time.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems you only have space for 1 120mm fan up top.

Might be better off with an air cooler instead of AIO in that PC. Using AIO as exhaust in that case is just lazy.

Using that case at all is spiteful. Looks good but kills parts... guess you get a new customer faster for next PC if the previous one kills them, one way to make money?

Would moving both intakes to exhausts work @Phaaze88 , you mention elsewhere putting one as top (exhaust) but couldn't they also put one at rear as well?

TRENDING THREADS