Temps are too high or stable ?

Mar 6, 2018
I just replaced the larger version of intels stock cooler with a noctua NH-c14s the large down draft cooler on my 7700k. I have it set in dual fan mode with the top fan plugged in via a low noise adapter as I read a review where this was recommended or it made noise. As far as sound goes it is way better than the stock cooler I can't hear it at all. The stock got super loud while gaming which was the reason I upgraded . Since I got a nicer cooler however I decide I would try for a modest stable OC. I have a ud3l 270
gigabyte mobo and set the overclock by clicking the upgrade 4.8 7700k auto setting in my bios I assume it did some preconfigured changes I did nothing else in bios. My temps on prime 95 26.6 and the intel testing tool had max temps at 93c it is my understanding you never want to go over 95c as 100c is the throttle point and this is pretty close. Are there other settings I should manually set on/off in my bios? (It is up to date) Is this a normal temperature or should I try and re paste it? My case is a diypc silent bk. It has 2 small
Intake fans behind a closed door panel and filter and a single small exhaust fan in back similar to fractal r series case in design. Is it worth replacing the stock fans with better fans? Is this simply a case of my chip not being the best? Anyone using this cooler on a 7700k with temps to compare? While I get quick spikes while gaming as these chips do the random jump 20-30c one second then hop back down the next in general it runs them at 60-80c while playing overwatch at 1440p. From what I can find online these temps seem a little bit high for this processor cooling solution combination. I was getting about 75c in prime 95 on stock settings. Wondering if someone with more experience with these things can guide me on what to do next be it some bios tweaking case fan replacement or remounting or perhaps this is just ordinary for a under performing chip? I do not like the idea of popping off my lid so if it's simply a "bad 7700k" im perfectly fine at 4.8 I'm not hunting 5ghz I would just like to drop my temps into the 80s on these stress tests at 4.8. Thanks for your time

Solution

venom4013

Reputable
Feb 14, 2018
what voltages are you currently on? Higher voltage causes higher temps.

In gaming temp seems to be fine. You are overclocked and using an air cooler. Anything over 80 degrees is high in my opinion for gaming so i would say you are fine if the temps are mostly in the 60s..

the temp is very high stress tests..

try using another stress test such as realbench. prime 95 gives high temps on kabylake chips.

Mar 6, 2018
I will check when I get home I didn't pick a voltage I just loaded the preset from gigabytes bios for a 4.8g overclock on a 7700k assuming they were at the very least a good jumping point and since I wasn't pushing it however since I'm not happy with the amount of heat I'll see if it's got high voltage. I'm honestly not so much worried about overheating issues in games as I don't think that will happen. I mainly used p95 as that's what I could find the most comparison numbers online for but I can test some of the other programs. My main concerns are as follows. Did I mess up the install on the cooler since my temps are higher than others? Are my case fans providing poor airflow inside my case? Are my bios settings poorly optimized causing the processor to produce more heat under Hess tests than it should? I'll check my volts and try and find some comparisons online and see if the preset from gigabyte is giving it too much juice.

venom4013

Reputable
Feb 14, 2018

Firstly check the voltage please..that will give us a guide to work with. I do not think you messed up anything with installation as your gaming temp seems fine..
Also try another test other than prime95.
If those temps still remain high we can move focus to the fans and so on..if temps are lower with another test like realbench you will know that you are fine.

For now just check your voltage and try another stress test program..

Mar 6, 2018
I checked the voltage it is variable and changes based on load in prime95 and realbench it was at about 1.26- 1.272 for the most part... it went as high as 1.308 which to my knowledge is not high some searching on these forums shows some people all the way at 1.4v .While I see 75-80 in both intels extreme utility and diagnostic tool both prime 95 push 95c+ I turned the realbench stress test off at 18 minutes hitting 98C! At that point the air coming from the back of the pc is very hot. After this the inside and heat sink are also hot I tried taking off the low noise adapter on the heat sinks top fan the temps were still about the same. Swapped the bios settings for 4.6 and stock at 4.5 temps on everything is down too 75-80C max.... back to 4.8 90s again on prime and realbench. The Heatsink seems to be getting plenty of heat so it seems to be functioning properly. The stock case fans don't seem to push much air with both the CPU and GPU close together near the exhaust of the case there is a lot of hot air at the top back of my case during these test I can even feel it through the top of the case. At idle however I'm getting temps at 27-29C and the air behind the case feels nice and cold but the pressure doesn't even flutter a tissue. Considering I really don't want to take the lid off my next course of action would seem to be installing some new case fans unless you have some custom bios OC ideas. I will say that I have a 32gigs of ram 4x8 gig sticks that are OCd using a XMP Profile to 3000 which after some researching apparently can raise the temps a few C but the downdraft cooler sits over the ram as well so it should be getting some extra cooling. I still have not hit 90+ in gaming I checked after 2 games of overwatch max temps in coretemp never got above 86 however this is still ~8-10 more than I get at stock running at max settings 1440p. I did put my hand behind the case and I could feel hot air toward the end of the gaming session something I also didn't get at all with stock clocks. The voltage at stock 4.6 and 4.8 profiles seems to be identical. Thoughts?

venom4013

Reputable
Feb 14, 2018

Some would say you lost the silicon lottery...

Your cpu runs hotter than others. Well very hot.

Only suggestions i can make is make sure your fans airflow run in a direction. Cold air blows in and hot air gets pulled out. Add a nice case fan that is a little stronger to blow cold air into the pc. Also make sure the CPU fan runs at higher or max RPM when your heat goes up.

My last suggestion would be to reseat the heatsink. Apply new thermal paste when reseating.

Goodluck

Solution
Mar 6, 2018
Well I'll swing by microcenter and see if some better case fans get he job done. If that doesn't Wirk I'll reseat the cooler but I don't think that's the issue considering after the test the top of the heatsink was hot to the touch. While I'm hopeful better airflow will help I have not seen many people online reporting drops of 10c just by upgrading case fans :/. It does seem my chip is just a very hot boy once it takes an OC I was hoping there was some magic bios config answer. To me what is odd is if the heatsink is getting hot it's obviously moving the heat off the die and up the pipes. If that's the case I don't even know that a delid would be effective not that I would but since it appears I'm alredy moving plenty of heat and all it does is make the heat transfer better it seems my chip is just a really hot chip? Perhaps I'm just missing something?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is why just accepting the same settings as another Joe User isn't always the best for you. Even if you have the exact same hardware, there are variations in every single component, not just your CPU. Also, are you using a fixed vCore or are you set on Auto? Seems like you have an auto setting because your voltage shouldn't fluctuate like that if it is set manually.

I strongly recommend reading some threads on overclocking and setting manual BIOS settings. Understanding what you are doing goes a long way to understanding performance, hardware limits and troubleshooting.

Also, what version of Prime95 are you using? This makes a very large difference.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3382407/version-prime95-kaby-lake.html

Also, please understand EVERYTHING in this thread above to the most detailed configuration BEFORE assuming that you should delid your CPU. Even with a successful delid but a poor BIOS overclock or incorrect Prime95 version, you can still encounter the same issues.

Mar 6, 2018
@ Rubix perhaps I should have been more clear about my goals for this project as I seem to have given the wrong impression on a few things. First my main goal is 4.8g stable with a variable voltage adaptive mode set to ON. Second to have temps no higher than 80s with the stable system in stress testing. I DO NOT want to delid my chip I was simply speculating that perhaps mine was one with particularly poor thermal conductivity and was inquiring as to if this seems right to you more experienced guys or if the fact my heatsink seems to be doing its job means it's just fine/ normal. Yes I used the prime95 26.6 so I didn't think I needed an offset for those instructions though I guess it couldn't hurt to put a 2-3 offset.

Updates from yesterday. I replaced the 3 pre installed case fans with ines rated at twice the cfm and set them to full blast in the bios. Since I was working in the case anyway and it was kind of in my way I reseated the noctua cooler. Case temperature dropped and in general CPU temps dropped quite a bit at the lower frequencys. At Low variable voltage on desktop I was getting 26-32C idle temps. At load in stress test at 4.6 everything is great barley break 80c on real bench and prime 95 XTU has similar results topping at 79C. 2 games of overwatch my temps sat at about 40-50c spikes never getting above low 70s based on max temp in core temp after a few games. Cooler air coming from the back of the case nice. Up to 4.8 gigs we go overwatch goes fine temps never spiking beyond 80C much less case heat with the better airflow. Now for the failure prime95 at 4.8 was still hitting 90s and realbench blue screens me 2 minutes before I finish my 30 minute stress test with most codes sitting around 80-86C. Core 3 however didn't see the same improvement at this high setting the other did and core temp had its max temp from spikes at 97C before I blue screened out. So I spent some time trying to find guides/ videos of people tweaking with adaptive voltage and found less than I wanted and it got late an I went to bed. It seems like most OCers do it use the variable voltage which is understandable but annoying since I want my chip to click down at the desktop and only crank it up to max when it needs to. Next step for me is figureing out how to tweak the max voltage for adaptive mode and see if I can reduce it slightly to get back to stable. It was incredible to me that I can go from stable barley touching 80c at 4.6 straight too 95+ and a blue screen with only 200mhz more. So plans for tonight testing impact of turning off XMP profile on the ram droppingnit from 3000 to its stock 2133. See if I can figure out how tweak voltage in adaptive mode to slightly lower max voltage. Test Avx offset to see if that helps with the real bench test at 4.8 dropping the clock down for the things making the most heat.

Mar 6, 2018
Well that may be a true but I went against what I said due to frustration popped the lid off with a straight razor because I was to impatient to get something to open it, then I used some of my brothers liquid metal tim from when he popped his lid off and bam no more problems. The test that I was getting blue screens and 95c+ temps before I maxed at 70c after 30 minutes. Prime 95? also a clean 70c max temp. Intel's tuning utility bench maxed at 62c... My temps at 4.8 are now better than the temps I was getting at stock before. So I guess its problem solved I ended up going back on what I said but hey it worked.

TRENDING THREADS