Oct 22, 2019
So I have this lenovo legion y540 laptop and I am ussually playing with turbo boost turned off to keep the temps pretty low. So I ussually get temps max. 67C but yesterday I noticed that temps are between 70-80C while playing the same game. This happened overnight. Yesterday after seeing the temps I dusted out the fans and vents but I only did a very small change. To me it seems like something software related since GPU went up the same amount. Fps is the same.It is interesting that on idle the temps vere normal.
Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if your laptop is on the latest BIOS update. Next, try and manually install the latest drivers for your platform, from the chipset to the GPU drivers. See if that changes your experience.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Oct 22, 2019
You might want to see if your laptop is on the latest BIOS update. Next, try and manually install the latest drivers for your platform, from the chipset to the GPU drivers. See if that changes your experience.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?
Yes I installed the new bios update today.
Does the new windows 10 version cause issues with temps?

If an Intel-based system, you might be able to more easily adjust max 1,2,3,4 or more clock speeds with the XTU application...

If comfortable with complete laptop disassembly and removal of heatpipe/sink/fan assembly, many might benefit from a properly applied replacement/fresh application of thermal compound as well.... (and, of course, make sure the fan's intake is in no way obstructed....; I can't seem to get my teenage children to listen when I tell them to not rest a laptop on top of a blanket or pillow!)

Im going to give a crack at this in short the cooling on this laptop is decent the issue though is its sharing one of the heatpipes with both cpu and gpu. make sure the laptop is elevated of the desk if not id advise a laptop cooler underneath just to blow more air to the 2 small fans. also changing the paste to something like mx4 would probly drop it by 3-4 c on both cpu and gpu this laptop isnt hard to get into from the bottom.

also please make sure your laptop is in performance mode not power saving

Oct 22, 2019
Im going to give a crack at this in short the cooling on this laptop is decent the issue though is its sharing one of the heatpipes with both cpu and gpu. make sure the laptop is elevated of the desk if not id advise a laptop cooler underneath just to blow more air to the 2 small fans. also changing the paste to something like mx4 would probly drop it by 3-4 c on both cpu and gpu this laptop isnt hard to get into from the bottom.

also please make sure your laptop is in performance mode not power saving
I checked the mode but it was high performance (even updated bios). I had the laptop elevated by books but put that away few weeks ago(I dont think it causes my problem since the temps were normal until a day or 2 ago), and also dont know if it is something with cooling system because then the temps would slowly build up and not just go 10 to 20 C higher overnight