Temps rise after re applying TIM

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
So I deep cleaned my PC today. Pulled off the heatsink after a long time to clean it. I have the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. Before the clean, my temps remained around mid 60s to low 70s. But now after re-applying the thermal paste as soon as I Ran AIDA64, in 30 seconds it went up to 83°C. Stopped the stress test right there. Using the Thermal Paste that comes with the Cooler. CPU is an i7 920 2.67GHz (Not Overclocked). Does thermal paste need some time to settle or what? I applied a pea sized dot in the centre and mounted the cooler on, pressed in opposite corners of the cooler push pins. I cant remember what my temps were last time when i did this as someone else did it for me and at that time i did not monitor temps alot.

Solution
As far as coolers go...there are basically two things you need to do right...the paste....and make sure it's mounted snug.

If those things are done right...and you are still hot....I would focus on the fan/fan speed/fan curve.

Most people screw up the paste by putting too much on. If you think you did a decent job with the paste you probably did. It just needs to fill the gap and any little crevices. Anything that oozes out the sides is too much.
As far as coolers go...there are basically two things you need to do right...the paste....and make sure it's mounted snug.

If those things are done right...and you are still hot....I would focus on the fan/fan speed/fan curve.

Most people screw up the paste by putting too much on. If you think you did a decent job with the paste you probably did. It just needs to fill the gap and any little crevices. Anything that oozes out the sides is too much.

Solution