[SOLVED] Temps spike to 90c~

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
I have a Z170A gaming M7 (ms-7976) with a i5-6600k set to 4.2~GHz that has an attached H100iGTX.

2 front 120mm Fans (Intake)
1 Back 120mm Fan (Exhaust)
2 Top 120mm Fans (Intake)

Motherboard (MSI Command Center) controls the fans on auto while the Pump is reading 1800-1920Rpms. iCUE has it on “extreme” as the setting.

I recently cleaned my PC and wiped off the old thermal paste, applied some new one and now my temps are crazy high. Only thing different post cleaning was the Noc fans I had over the Corsair ones but other than the sound they both were reading the same RPMs. Pump temp is at a steady 42c, 1 tube hot while the other is not. I also used 70% iso alcohol to clean off the paste tho, idk if they had an issue with the heating. After cleaning I made sure to dry it completely.

Should I try reapplying the paste one more time or is it the AIO pump?

Solution
ICue does quite a bit, but part of it was written specifically for the control of Corsair aios and its rgb elements. Part of it was also written for control of Corsair rgb ram. Msi CC wasn't. What CC was written for was fan speed control overriding bios settings, since bios for the longest time had no real user settings for fan curves.

Honestly, I've found CC next to useless and got far better results out of Cam with my nzxt Kraken aio. Unless you really have a specific want for that part of the msi software, I'd reinstall the iCue and let it do its thing, and stop any msi involvement. Having 2 software both trying to run hardware will lead to conflicts.

marthanaan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
I guess it's the AIO pump,do you have another cooler to make sure that the problem isn't on the paste, I mean it's unlikely that paste can cause you problem, my dad even use toothpaste as a thermal paste and the temp never spikes to 90c

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
I guess it's the AIO pump,do you have another cooler to make sure that the problem isn't on the paste, I mean it's unlikely that paste can cause you problem, my dad even use toothpaste as a thermal paste and the temp never spikes to 90c
Unfortunately no.
Even tho the pump is reading an RPM? I’m gonna try and reapply the paste and attempt to see if maybe I messed up setting the block on the CPU.

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Update:
So, last night I turned off the power supplies and let left it unplugged all night (8~ hours) and when I turned plugged it back in and turned the computer on, the Mobo temp was reading 38-40c. Originally was 55c. So I started up Monster Hunter Online (probably the most intense game I play currently) and the temps didn’t reach over 77c~; before they were 90-95c with just starting the game without anything or anyone in my game session.
To give better details on what I did before I started noticing the temp changes, after I changed the fans and reapplied the thermal paste, I noticed that my MSI command center didn’t have control over the new RGB Corsair fans. Never had iCUE or Link on my computer and I didn’t know how to control the RGB vengeance pro RAM. So I downloaded iCUE. Only the pump and fans showed up.

after messing around with the pump and fans a bit, I decided the run the fans to the headers in the motherboard instead of the pump, and MSI command center had control again. I did this so I didn’t have to run iCUE anymore, so I uninstalled it. I later found out that the RAM led settings was on my MSI dragon eye for some odd reason. What a pain. But after that, I noticed that my temps were spiking. So I turned the onboard OC from 4.7 to 4.2 and bumped the fans up to 2k for the top and exhaust while the fronts were pushing 1k. Still no drop in temp.

Before writing to this forum, in a last ditch effort, I got iCUE back to see if the pump was working. Now this morning, temps are what I think are normal (?) and the only thing I can think of was the pump wasn’t running adequately because I didn’t have iCUE on my computer.

Question,
If that was the issue, thought I wasn’t paying close attention to my temps or rather my pump/AIO, why was it jump now becoming an issue? Was it because when I installed iCUE for the first time, the drivers defaulted to that programming, away from MSIs command center, and uninstalling it was basically cutting the pump off?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ICue does quite a bit, but part of it was written specifically for the control of Corsair aios and its rgb elements. Part of it was also written for control of Corsair rgb ram. Msi CC wasn't. What CC was written for was fan speed control overriding bios settings, since bios for the longest time had no real user settings for fan curves.

Honestly, I've found CC next to useless and got far better results out of Cam with my nzxt Kraken aio. Unless you really have a specific want for that part of the msi software, I'd reinstall the iCue and let it do its thing, and stop any msi involvement. Having 2 software both trying to run hardware will lead to conflicts.

Reactions: MannyChachere
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That'd be odd since the cpu is flat(ish) and the baseplate is (should be) solid metal that's not prone to warping no matter how bent the plastic backplate might get. If the whole block on top of the cpu warped, and bent the baseplate, that'd be different, and still not common as there's standoffs between the mobo and block to prevent such. Meaning whomever installed the block was an amateur, and not too intelligent if using that much force to buckle a waterblock.

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020

Thanks for the reply,
I was drawing that conclusion, “having 2 software both trying to run hardware will lead to conflicts.”, and thought it would be best to uninstall iCue. I don’t really have a need for CC.

I was only using it for the preset OC and fan controls. But when I uninstall it, will the fans still stay on auto/smart control; allowing them to slow down on “ideal” and speed up as the temps rise or will they go to the default settings?

Also, oddly enough, my RAM still isn’t on the iCUE. It’s still being “controlled” by Dragon Eye, which is fine. But as far as my AIO goes, I don’t believe there’s anything actually wrong with the pump/unit and it was just a software issue; human error on my part.

ethanmason622

Commendable
Dec 5, 2017
after messing round with the pump and fans a bit, I decided the run the fans to the headers in the motherboard as a substitute of the pump, and MSI command center had manage again. I did this so I didn’t have to run iCUE anymore, so I uninstalled it. I later found out that the RAM led settings was on my MSI dragon eye for some bizarre reason. What a pain. But after that, I observed that my temps were spiking. So I turned the onboard OC from 4.7 to 4.2 and bumped the followers up to 2k for the pinnacle and exhaust whilst the fronts have been pushing 1k. Still no drop in temp.