temps when overclocking i7-4790k

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hey all. Though im still a noob, ive been overclocking and customizing rigs for about 3 years now. i used to have an AMD cpu and board that i had overclocked to 4.1GHz which was a big leap. Recently i switched platforms from AMD to intel, then i got a new liquid cooling unit that is compatible with my cpu, then i got a new case and power supply to fit the new water cooler lol. So the issue im having now odd to me. i know im missing some type of detail in the UEFI. Since making these upgrades my cpu has been running extremely cold. 24C at idle and about 36C when playing high demanding games. Now i overclocked the vcore to about 1.4 to maintain a 4.8GHz OC. it ran stable when stress testing but the temps ran from about 76 to 87 and spiked past 90 at times. Thats too hot for my taste. i generally dont put it past 75C. Now i know a high vcore will heat the chip but i have to be missing something here. ive never seen a cpu run as low as this one runs when its at about 4.4GHz. And now, Im at 4.7GHz at 1.330 vcore and 1.9input volt and its running stable at about 60-70C. It seems like i have more room to play around(4.8-5GHz is my goal here) but as soon as i put it at 4.8 its unstable until the vcore reaches 1.4v then it gets too hot for my taste. Am i missing something here? There has to be some settings in the UEFI i dont know about that could really help with core temps. Any tips and advice would be highly appreciated.Heres my stats:

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 (Stock:4.0GHz Turbo4.4)

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GBvram (clocked at 1100MHz coreclock)

Evga supernova 1000w g2 powersupply

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Phanteks Enthoo Pro case

Solution
Those are really low temps at idle or in gaming at stock, I've seen another person on this forum that had about those temps with this chip. To be honest, I wouldn't overclock at 1.40 volts whether it got me 4.8 ghz or not given that with each successive generation and design of Intel processors the maximum recommended voltage for OC'ing has decreased proportionate to that (1.30 volts 4790k) for long term usage, but if you just don't care well I guess that's up to you. I wouldn't worry about your max stress temps, what should matter most is if your temps generated in day to day usage meet your standards. If they don't, scale back on the frequency and voltage.

My 4790k is 4.7 -1.32 volts cpu, 4.5 - 1.30 volts cache/uncore. I can keep it...

clueless77

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
Those are really low temps at idle or in gaming at stock, I've seen another person on this forum that had about those temps with this chip. To be honest, I wouldn't overclock at 1.40 volts whether it got me 4.8 ghz or not given that with each successive generation and design of Intel processors the maximum recommended voltage for OC'ing has decreased proportionate to that (1.30 volts 4790k) for long term usage, but if you just don't care well I guess that's up to you. I wouldn't worry about your max stress temps, what should matter most is if your temps generated in day to day usage meet your standards. If they don't, scale back on the frequency and voltage.

My 4790k is 4.7 -1.32 volts cpu, 4.5 - 1.30 volts cache/uncore. I can keep it right where I want it with normal, daily usage even in more CPU dependent programs, meaning never over 55 c and that's the exception, not the norm. Got around 100 c in Prime during stressing, whereas OCCT is just as good for stability testing too but the temps are manageable enough to determine the max stable frequency, unlike Prime for Haswell.

Solution

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
ok. its at 1.330vcore right now running stable at about 32c max during cpu intensive day to day stuff. at stress test it maxes out at about 70c and i could probly scale the volts back alittme more if i need to. so what you are saying is, i could have a hot temp during a stress test(i use OCCT) of like 90-100c as long as it stays at decent temps during normal day to day use?

also i deed some research on a few forums and it seems the max safe vcore voltage varies from person to person. some people say 1.3, others 1.4 while others say up to 1.6. its really hard to get an accurate figure on that voltage max

clueless77

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, it might not be a popular opinion as everyone will usually say to keep CPU's within a certain range, usually around 80 max or so during stress tests (obviously less than with certain types of aftermarket coolers would be more ideal), but from my experiences with a past i7 is that the 4790k runs extremely hot during any type of stress testing compared to it, which is many other people's experiences as well, and it's in the design as to why it does. To decrease the voltage and frequency because of the temps during stressing it isn't maximizing that chip's potential, even if not overclocking it becomes almost futile to worry about stress temps, and Prime of all programs shouldn't be used for stability testing with at least the 4790k. I was getting around 80 max, mostly hovering around low to mid 70's at the clocks and voltages I described above with OCCT.

So yeah, I wouldn't sweat it, you'll in all probability never see anywhere near the range of that temp with normal usage, even if you used the CPU in a PC that's intended for professional usage. Are you using Linpack in OCCT by the way? I just used the regular CPU test, I'm pretty sure Linpack will run it hotter but then again your voltage is significantly higher than mine. Also, people who run them at 1.4 volts and advocate this should know that they're taking a risk in terms of accelerated degradation yet should be honest about this upfront rather than try to justify it as safe to anyone other than for their own preferences, and someone who says 1.6 is safe at all should somehow be barred from making suggestions to people. I'm not sure how your CPU runs so cool out of idle even with a H110, but whatever works.

MartinsD

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
I think you have just a unlucky chip, i have i5-4690k and have same problem. Now running it at 4.8ghz and did need to apply alot v, so its stable at 1.39v, but my temps on aida or xtu are 81C max with h100i

and as its written by overclockers on all forums, stress test will always be hotter than day to day use, so i wouldnt worry about that. And those temps if only spike on very heavy load its nothing. it was something like 10 years and 8 month for normal under 80C temp and 10years and 3 month for over 80C temp cpu :)

clueless77

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

Lol, maybe some people who overclock will make this known, but with the heat issues during stress testing that people have with the 4790k and post threads about them here it's not very often that they're being told this.

dmartelli84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply. That makes alot of sense to me. So ill keep that in mind when I try to push the limit. I'm happy where I'm at now at 4.7 with 1.330 vcore. Runs good doesn't go about 65 when gaming. And at idle/normal Web browsing stays at 30 and idle about 25 now. Ever since I put the h110 in and put it all in the enthoo pro it's been very cool. I think it's a combo of the cooling unit, the great new case, and the air flow I decided. Not to mention it's a fantastic chip. I would recommend the phanteks Enthoo Pro to anyone. It's got great cable management and airflow capabilities. It comes with a huge intake fan in the front too. My gpu temps have dropped a good amount since this switch too so the case Is definitely part of it. And I made sure the air pressure was positive this time around too. We'll anyways thanks alot for the tips :)