[SOLVED] Temps while using 100% CPU?

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello!
I just installed an exhaust fan and my CPU load was 100% after booting. Turns out it was due to NGINUITY going rogue.
I pulled up HWMonitor and saw my temps were about 66c after about 5 minutes of running on 100%.

This made me wonder, would the temperatures be the same when running 100% CPU usage while on the desktop as when you run a benchmark test?

Stay safe out there!

Solution
it is often difficult to see 100% usage just sitting at the desktop...; if that condition exists, I'd investigate what process/processes is/are causing it, be it a confused/botches update, or even hidden malware component mining crypto-currency for a group of those-less-gainfully-employed.

the 'what temp is too high with x-processor and y-cooling solution varies with the CPU, as 75-80C might be too hot for some, and normal for some newer RYzen 3000 designs. Many use Prime95/small FFT(no AVX/AVX2) as their torture test, which typically induces temps 8-10C above what most would ever see gaming, etc...

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
no. idle should have much lower temp
Yeah but I had some programs using way too much CPU. It is fixed now but I was just wondering about if 100% usage while basically not "running" programs would heat up the same as if you got 100% CPU usage while gaming/running benchmarks.

My idle temperature is about 35-40c on a i9-9900K 5Ghz

it is often difficult to see 100% usage just sitting at the desktop...; if that condition exists, I'd investigate what process/processes is/are causing it, be it a confused/botches update, or even hidden malware component mining crypto-currency for a group of those-less-gainfully-employed.

the 'what temp is too high with x-processor and y-cooling solution varies with the CPU, as 75-80C might be too hot for some, and normal for some newer RYzen 3000 designs. Many use Prime95/small FFT(no AVX/AVX2) as their torture test, which typically induces temps 8-10C above what most would ever see gaming, etc...

Solution

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
if you don't have anything running. that will be idle
did you scan for malware?
Oh yeah, I'm not fully awake :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, nothing came up but it was the antimalware service executable going nuts.
I have been rebooting a couple of times now and the problem hasn't occurred again. I have also been running for about an hour now with no fan or CPU speed ups.

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Yeah, I normally don't have problems. I triple check programs before downloading and run scans every other week or so.

I think this was just a one time thing but it got me curious :D