Tempted

I've always built my own PC's, but now it seems far cheaper to buy from
someone like Dell, Gateway, or HP. The hardware list looks really good on
the higher end machines (Dell 8400 and XPS, Gateway 7200 series). Question
is, do these machines perform as well as it looks like they should? I'm
always suspicious of the motherboards these vendors use. Should I be? Can
someone tell me whose are typically used? Sorry for all the goofy questions.
Just trying to make an informed decision.
Thanks in advance
Mark Miller

tonys

If you are used to building your own PC, the motherboards in a Dell have
very few options in its Bios setting. If you like a tweak the memory timing
you wont find those setting in a Dell motherboard.

tony

"Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've always built my own PC's, but now it seems far cheaper to buy from
> someone like Dell, Gateway, or HP. The hardware list looks really good on
> the higher end machines (Dell 8400 and XPS, Gateway 7200 series). Question
> is, do these machines perform as well as it looks like they should? I'm
> always suspicious of the motherboards these vendors use. Should I be? Can
> someone tell me whose are typically used? Sorry for all the goofy
> questions. Just trying to make an informed decision.
> Thanks in advance
> Mark Miller

very true. the one drawback to buying vs building is customization of bios
settings. manufactures like dell limit such settings to ensure stable
operation and avoid users selecting improper settings. but that is also
what makes dells in particular very stable machines. not exciting, but very
stable. as for price, it now costs more to build than it does to buy the
same quality machine. it used to be you could build to save money, then
building became about the same cost of buying but provided you with the
ability for performance customization, and now building is simply more
expensive than buying. building these days is mostly done by gamers who
want the absolute best possible performance and don't care about having a
thoroughly tested or supported system.

"tonys" <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote in message
> If you are used to building your own PC, the motherboards in a Dell have
> very few options in its Bios setting. If you like a tweak the memory
> timing you wont find those setting in a Dell motherboard.
>
> tony
>
> "Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've always built my own PC's, but now it seems far cheaper to buy from
>> someone like Dell, Gateway, or HP. The hardware list looks really good on
>> the higher end machines (Dell 8400 and XPS, Gateway 7200 series).
>> Question is, do these machines perform as well as it looks like they
>> should? I'm always suspicious of the motherboards these vendors use.
>> Should I be? Can someone tell me whose are typically used? Sorry for all
>> the goofy questions. Just trying to make an informed decision.
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mark Miller

Christopher Muto coughed up:
> very true. the one drawback to buying vs building is customization of
> bios settings. manufactures like dell limit such settings to ensure
> stable operation and avoid users selecting improper settings. but
> that is also what makes dells in particular very stable machines.
> not exciting, but very stable. as for price, it now costs more to
> build than it does to buy the same quality machine. [...]

It's been that way for many years.

....[rip]...

--
Iamamanofconstantsorrow,I'veseentroubleallmydays.Ibidfarewelltoold
Kentucky,TheplacewhereIwasbornandraised.ForsixlongyearsI'vebeenin

But really, what performance improvements can be gained from BIOS tweaks when
the processor speed is 2+GHz? BIOS timing tweaks could do something for a 486
or Pentium, but not any more. And, as for overclocking, why?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:13:52 GMT, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>very true. the one drawback to buying vs building is customization of bios
>settings. manufactures like dell limit such settings to ensure stable
>operation and avoid users selecting improper settings. but that is also
>what makes dells in particular very stable machines. not exciting, but very
>stable. as for price, it now costs more to build than it does to buy the
>same quality machine. it used to be you could build to save money, then
>building became about the same cost of buying but provided you with the
>ability for performance customization, and now building is simply more
>expensive than buying. building these days is mostly done by gamers who
>want the absolute best possible performance and don't care about having a
>thoroughly tested or supported system.
>
>"tonys" <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote in message
>> If you are used to building your own PC, the motherboards in a Dell have
>> very few options in its Bios setting. If you like a tweak the memory
>> timing you wont find those setting in a Dell motherboard.
>>
>> tony
>>
>> "Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've always built my own PC's, but now it seems far cheaper to buy from
>>> someone like Dell, Gateway, or HP. The hardware list looks really good on
>>> the higher end machines (Dell 8400 and XPS, Gateway 7200 series).
>>> Question is, do these machines perform as well as it looks like they
>>> should? I'm always suspicious of the motherboards these vendors use.
>>> Should I be? Can someone tell me whose are typically used? Sorry for all
>>> the goofy questions. Just trying to make an informed decision.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Mark Miller

I gave up trying to build systems a few years ago. Time and $ spent just
didn't add up. Have a new Dell 4600 and it does everything I need to do well
without messing with it.
Andy

"Mark D. Miller" <mark.miller22@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've always built my own PC's, but now it seems far cheaper to buy from
> someone like Dell, Gateway, or HP. The hardware list looks really good on
> the higher end machines (Dell 8400 and XPS, Gateway 7200 series). Question
> is, do these machines perform as well as it looks like they should? I'm
> always suspicious of the motherboards these vendors use. Should I be? Can
> someone tell me whose are typically used? Sorry for all the goofy
questions.
> Just trying to make an informed decision.
> Thanks in advance
> Mark Miller

I think Dell uses Intel motherboards. I remember reading that somewhere.

--
dhsa

TRENDING THREADS