Question Tenda AC2100 AC23 Bricked After Uploading Config File Of Another AC23 Router.

Feb 17, 2023
H1118689c246c41fcb0fc376a3f8ccbads.png_960x960.png

To anyone that can help me out.

Here's the situation!
I have a Tenda AC2100 a23 router that I tried to restore the config file, but I accidentally uploaded a config of my second router.
It then cut off my connection with the router shortly after. Now, the LED indicator for the is stuck on and the router stopped functioning.
I tried updating the firmware via TFTP 30 Second reset button method, it does write the firmware but it does'nt restores the config file which is the real issue.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Is there some reason that you cannot just try again by uploading the correct configuration file for/from the "first" router?

My thought is that config files are unique to any given router.

Consider:

If someone could copy the config file from Router A to Router B (making Router B to appear as Router A) then that would be a security vulnerability.

All you can do is a factory reset of that now non-functioning Tenda AC2100 a23 router and manually reconfigure it to what it should be.

Basically starting over with that "first" router as if it was brand new.

Caveat being that you know or have all of the necessary configuration settings, etc..

Feb 17, 2023
Is there some reason that you cannot just try again by uploading the correct configuration file for/from the "first" router?
The router is'nt functioning anymore, which means i cannot upload via web interface, only TFTP recovery can be accessed without opening the router.
My thought is that config files are unique to any given router.
It is unique, but there is no check to verify that while uploading, that why it
stopped working.
Consider:

If someone could copy the config file from Router A to Router B (making Router B to appear as Router A) then that would be a security vulnerability.

All you can do is a factory reset of that now non-functioning Tenda AC2100 a23 router and manually reconfigure it to what it should be.

Basically starting over with that "first" router as if it was brand new.

Caveat being that you know or have all of the necessary configuration settings, etc..
The router resets to factory, but configuration file remains partially unchanged, the only way is to upload the correct config file is via TFTP but i dont know the correct config directory and whether it is stored as plain text.
There is no way to obtain the directory listing via TFTP.

Have you tried other firmware revisions for your router. Maybe a older one will work.
It is surprising that it won't just clear the config to factory. I have never tried putting a backup config into a router from a file I have always just factory reset and reconfigured. If they really messed up the config file could be too large and have overwritten some other part of memory that is not actually part of the config.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
As I understrand your posts, you are not able to access the router at all after the factory reset by using the default IP address, login name, and password.

Correct?

What do you mean by "configuration file remains partially unchanged"? What are you seeing and where are you seeing that?

This router?

https://www.tenda.cz/sites/Upload/AC21/AC21_UG.pdf

Per physically numbered page 166, the Configuration file's default extension is .cfg. The full name may be Routercfm.cfg.

That file may be on the computer used to manage the router - maybe in the Downloads folder.

Maybe work with Tenda as mentioned on physically numbered Page 169 to determine if the router can be recovered and made functional again.

https://www.tendacn.com/us/service/team.html

Edit to restore lost link:

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/definition...nsfer Protocol is,to provide full FTP support.

May prove helpful as well.

Reactions: Lutfij
Feb 17, 2023
Have you tried other firmware revisions for your router. Maybe a older one will work.
I flashed different revisions, nothing changed.
It is surprising that it won't just clear the config to factory.
Apparently it restores only the values that can be changed via the web interface and the rest stays the same.
I have never tried putting a backup config into a router from a file I have always just factory reset and reconfigured. If they really messed up the config file could be too large and have overwritten some other part of memory that is not actually part of the config.
Thats not the case, config files are just the same size and they are stored in plain text.

As I understrand your posts, you are not able to access the router at all after the factory reset by using the default IP address, login name, and password.

Correct?
Indeed.
What do you mean by "configuration file remains partially unchanged"? What are you seeing and where are you seeing that?
I changed a few values that cannot be changed via the web interface from the config file, which is stored as plain text prior to the incident, and i noticed that after a factory reset those values remained.

Indeed.

Per physically numbered page 166, the Configuration file's default extension is .cfg. The full name may be Routercfm.cfg.

That file may be on the computer used to manage the router - maybe in the Downloads folder.
The config files from both routers are stored on my computer, i just need to find a way to upload them to the correct directory i guess.
Maybe work with Tenda as mentioned on physically numbered Page 169 to determine if the router can be recovered and made functional again.

https://www.tendacn.com/us/service/team.html
I tried resetting as mentioned many times, nothing changed.
I will reach out for their support personnel, but my hopes are low.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited: