Question Tenda TX9 PRO stuck at 100mbps

Aug 2, 2022
I just bought a TX9 PRO to replace my Tenda ac1200. I plugged in the TX9 did the PPPOE setup configured the wifi then I literally used the same cables as what my ac1200 used, and my speed is stuck at 100mbps upload and download where on the ac1200 with exact same cable setup I get my full 500mbps down and 250mbps up.
Cable setup is....CAT5e cable from fiber ONT to WAN port on TX9 router, then CAT5E cable directly to my gaming pc

Is there a setting I can't find in the router that needs to be changed?
Ohh and another thing, with 2 pc's connected to the router with cable i can transfer between the pc's at gigabit speeds, so the ports are gigabit enabled

There are no settings that allow you change this in most routers.

It is likely a bad cable. Cables are very strange when they fail they can work on some equipment and not others.

Be sure to get quality cable, all you need is cat5e but it must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-23 (no flat or thin cables). If you can not find this information in the ad look for a different vendor, there is a massive amount of fake cable being sold.

Aug 2, 2022
There are no settings that allow you change this in most routers.

It is likely a bad cable. Cables are very strange when they fail they can work on some equipment and not others.

Be sure to get quality cable, all you need is cat5e but it must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-23 (no flat or thin cables). If you can not find this information in the ad look for a different vendor, there is a massive amount of fake cable being sold.

Thanks for your response. The cable i'm using is a LinkBasic 1m Cat5e from ont to TX9, i even now tried with a cat6 cable that was still in it's packaging and still no change. Even the wifi limits at 100mbps so even if the cable to my pc was faulty the 5ghz wifi should go over 100mbps

The wifi is being limited by the connection between the router and the ONT/modem. No matter what speed you connect to the router with the path out to the internet will still be 100m. You could likely talk between the wifi connected device and a ethernet connected device inside you house at faster speeds.

There is not much else when it comes to speed. You either have bad ports or bad cables. The speed negotiation is a hardware signal level thing.

You could I guess try to plug the pc into the router wan port and see what speed you get. It of course will not actually do anything when you plug it in that way but you should still see the link speed on your pc.

Not sure if you are sure the cables are actually good then you need to consider returning the router for a replacement

Aug 2, 2022
The wifi is being limited by the connection between the router and the ONT/modem. No matter what speed you connect to the router with the path out to the internet will still be 100m. You could likely talk between the wifi connected device and a ethernet connected device inside you house at faster speeds.

There is not much else when it comes to speed. You either have bad ports or bad cables. The speed negotiation is a hardware signal level thing.

You could, I guess try to plug the pc into the router wan port and see what speed you get. It of course will not actually do anything when you plug it in that way but you should still see the link speed on your pc.

Not sure if you are sure the cables are actually good then you need to consider returning the router for a replacement

I went out and bought brand new Link Basic cat6 cables, came home tested them and still the same. Took it back to supplier, they tested and said nothing wrong. I brought it back same issue.
So what I then did was connect it to the old ac1200 from other port on ac1200 to wan on tx9 and set it up as dynamic and then I'm able to get the full 500mbps, but it's not supposed to be like that.

My ISP also assured me they don't do mac authentication

Very strange.
There likely is some tiny problem on the tx9 wan port where it is slightly out of spec and can't talk to some equipment but can others. Although it is likely you find nothing check to see if all the small wires in the port look ok. Just look at them do not mess with them you might make the problem worse. There really is no huge downside to having the ac1200 in the path. I assume you are using 2 lan ports ? It is a small switch running like that. If you used the WAN port you now have 2 NAT in the path but that only causes problems for some console games or someone hosting servers.

Aug 2, 2022
Very strange.
There likely is some tiny problem on the tx9 wan port where it is slightly out of spec and can't talk to some equipment but can others. Although it is likely you find nothing check to see if all the small wires in the port look ok. Just look at them do not mess with them you might make the problem worse. There really is no huge downside to having the ac1200 in the path. I assume you are using 2 lan ports ? It is a small switch running like that. If you used the WAN port you now have 2 NAT in the path but that only causes problems for some console games or someone hosting servers.

The thing is i did my research and saw that the tx9 has better wifi so thats why i bought it and then i can use the ac1200 as a "extenter" in AP mode in my garadge where my IOT devices are located to give them a better connection.

My cables run like so.....

1 x CAT6 1M from ONT fiber router "The fiber company installed that" to my TX9's WAN port
1 x CAT6 1m from TX9 to 8 port Gigabit switch
From the switch my cables run around in the house to the different rooms where they are patched into a wall box.

So it must be a fault on the router because i get the full 500 when i'm not on PPPoE?

Maybe I should have asked before. What numbers do you actually get when you say it is running at 100mbps. If you get say 94-96mbps that is almost always a cable issue. If it is other numbers then it could very well be some issue with the PPPoE support.

PPPoE is a fairly low overhead thing. It is kinda a vpn that is not encrypted.