Teredo Tunneling Adapter is installed, corrupted, and not listed in Device Manager

tc7s

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I've hit a wall, and I'm desperate for help here. I've been scouring forums for about a day now, and all posted solutions don't seem to be working. I'll try to lay out everything that I've learned so far here:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface is installed on my machine, but cannot get a valid IP address to assign.

I know this because the device shows up under my ipconfig /all, with the following info:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-[omitted]
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : [omitted, valid]
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : [omitted, valid]
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : [omitted, valid]
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

and when being used, it is set to client mode, with the status showing "Qualified". I am not on an enterprise network, so setting the mode to enterprise client sets the status to "offline", with no error given. I'd give some copy pasta for these two modes, but I'm unable to start the program that has the dependency on Teredo.

Yet Teredo still says it is unhappy.

I saw that the component might be disabled via registry, so I went digging down that rabbit hole in

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters

For a registry value under "DisabledComponents" as some forums have suggested, but there is no such value in that registry folder. So the component is not disabled.

================================================

I know I need to uninstall and reinstall the teredo tunneling adapter, but I can't get it to show up in Device Manager, despite the device being active. The device doesn't show up under "add legacy hardware" installation wizard, under all devices or network adapters. Yes, I am selecting "show hidden devices" in device manager.

I want to try uninstalling via powershell, but I'm afraid it just barely crosses the line of comfortable troubleshooting enough without the proper know how of throwing commands together.

I've tried all cmd tricks disabling the interface and reenabling the ipv6 teredo client, disabling and resetting IP helper service to boot automatically, all with no luck. Can someone help please?