Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
PC SPECS:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb
MSI Z390-A Pro
i7 9700k
GTX 1080
Thermaltake 700w

A few days ago my FPS in Destiny 2 started randomly dropping from 144+ down to anywhere from 1-70 for just a few moments then running normally again for a few seconds. My CPU and GPU aren't overheating and I did a full scan for viruses. It all started shortly after a windows 10 update but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
you will have to deal with it, there is no solution apart from installing windows 8.1 or 7.

Do not listen to this nonsense.

The first thing to do when you have a performance issue that happens subsequent to a Windows 10 update is to check the drivers for your devices, especially the GPU. Many times a new driver will compensate for any new OS changes. Please do that and then get back to us.

Zucarr

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
I tried closing every background process I could to fix it, but it still didn't help.

It happens randomly. It can either be every few seconds or minutes in between. There were a few times it didn't happen for over an hour then randomly starts again.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok time for some monitoring software while playing. Run MSI Afterburner, within is RivaTuner which has a statistic feature, you can see graphs that show your FPS and so on, and easily see when it drops what else is happening as well. Play a bit and show us Screen shots of the graphs specifically noting when it drops.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I wasn't able to get the on screen graph to work so I just watched the graph on a second monitor and during the FPS drops the only thing that changed was the GPU usage dropping from around 96 down to around 50 or below. The lower it drops the worse the FPS drop is. Here is a screenshot of the GPU usage during the game:
View: https://imgur.com/a/MER4Txl

Don't need the on screen graphs to work. It keeps a log, you can scroll through the log and post screen shots of all the graphs.

If in reality the ONLY thing dropping is your GPU then its possible your GPU is defective. This is unlikely though but possible.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Here are screenshots of all of the graphs during one game: View: https://imgur.com/a/YoP8Zk7

I'm not sure how to show where the FPS drops are, but if you need me to, I'll figure it out.

Everywhere your GPU useage drops thats likely it. Usually there is an FPS graph available in there?

I don't see drops in clock rate, however your CPU power usage seems very low. That is strange.

Can you go into power settings and run the computer on High Performance Mode?

Zucarr

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
Everywhere your GPU useage drops thats likely it. Usually there is an FPS graph available in there?

I don't see drops in clock rate, however your CPU power usage seems very low. That is strange.

Can you go into power settings and run the computer on High Performance Mode?

I turned on High Performance Mode but it didn't change anything as far as I can tell. I tried playing other games and it seems to only heppen on Destiny 2. I uninstalled it and redownloaded it on a different hard driver and that didn't help either.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I turned on High Performance Mode but it didn't change anything as far as I can tell. I tried playing other games and it seems to only heppen on Destiny 2. I uninstalled it and redownloaded it on a different hard driver and that didn't help either.

So everything is working except Destiny 2?

Have you tried Activision? Maybe their latest updates broke something?